Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: News July 9 1937  (Read 81569 times)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
Re: News July 9 1937
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 10:20:12 AM »

Jeff
Well said.

Order of need
Oxygen, without it you're gon in a matter of minutes
Water, without it you're gone in a matter of days
Food, without it you're gone in a matter of weeks.

If you're in a harsh environment, shelter and clothing.

Look up the NASA survival test, Lost On The Moon  it's very interesting
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 09:02:39 AM »

Well now----all of this talk of a 'water machine" has me thinking  :o that someone had the forethought to consider that the Electra may not make it to one of the the destinations, and AE & fred would need to go into survival mode, as I think Gary eluded to. Obviously, for someone to have gone to the trouble, there must have been a reason. HUM-----. i dont recall any water machines on navy of AAf planes that were flying over the Pacific-----and they would have had alot better chance to have needed survival 'gear"---considering there was a war going on.
Does any one here see anything alittle strange about that? What does something like that weigh?
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012, 10:55:21 AM »

Well now----all of this talk of a 'water machine" has me thinking  :o that someone had the forethought to consider that the Electra may not make it to one of the the destinations, and AE & fred would need to go into survival mode, as I think Gary eluded to. Obviously, for someone to have gone to the trouble, there must have been a reason. HUM-----. i dont recall any water machines on navy of AAf planes that were flying over the Pacific-----and they would have had alot better chance to have needed survival 'gear"---considering there was a war going on.
Does any one here see anything alittle strange about that? What does something like that weigh?
Tom
They did have inflatable solar stills.

gl

Erik

• T3
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »

Tom

Very interesting.... 

Reading between the lines are you saying the survival gear would have been more 'politcally' motivated as opposed to 'naturally' motivated? 

I too find it interesting that she carried much of the survival gear for the entire trip then 'deposited' in Lae?  Huh - right before the longest journey over open-water?  Was there something inherently more dangerous flying over foreign countries than there was over open water?

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 11:26:30 AM »

Actually Erik--I was thinking the opposite way---that she expected to need the 'water machine' because of missing Howland.
Yep I'm certifiably crazy now :o
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Erik

• T3
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »

Well... that's what I would have originally thought too.  But now we have the conundrum of why she intentionally 'depositied' it just before the open-water trip.  Remember, the article also says she left behind a hand-cranked radio too.   Unless there was a communication gaffe, and she actually took these items with her.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2012, 12:15:08 PM »

Well... that's what I would have originally thought too.  But now we have the conundrum of why she intentionally 'depositied' it just before the open-water trip.  Remember, the article also says she left behind a hand-cranked radio too.   Unless there was a communication gaffe, and she actually took these items with her.

Could be that if they missed howland they were f++++d anyway then why bother with heavy survival stuff when they needed fuel?

Erik

• T3
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »

If the Niku 'hypo' is correct, they needed survival gear more than they needed fuel.  If the crash-n-sank 'hypo' is correct, they needed fuel more than they needed survival gear.  Sucks that in the end they ended up needing both.  :'(

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2012, 01:09:06 PM »

And if the Nips got 'em, they didn't need either.   Hmmm
No Worries Mates

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »

Why no plan B in the remote chance that they miss Howland? An alternative strategy is always useful even if not needed.
Jeff
This must be the place

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2012, 01:24:43 PM »

Jeff
AE wasn't the sharpest knife in the utensil drawer and prolly didn't even think about "what If" she missed Howland.

I mean, after she failed to get Lae on her RDF test during a test flight  on the day before the takeoff, she "assumed" that the problem was that she was too close to the station to get a null. (see the Chater report)  Yet, she took off anyway.

As a pilot with 46 hours of simulated instrument training time I can only shake my head over that decision.
No Worries Mates

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2012, 04:19:45 PM »

Jeff
AE wasn't the sharpest knife in the utensil drawer and prolly didn't even think about "what If" she missed Howland.

I mean, after she failed to get Lae on her RDF test during a test flight  on the day before the takeoff, she "assumed" that the problem was that she was too close to the station to get a null. (see the Chater report)  Yet, she took off anyway.

As a pilot with 46 hours of simulated instrument training time I can only shake my head over that decision.
I don't know if you ever did NDB approaches utilizing the ADF. If you did, then you know that the ADF (same as AE's RDF) works directly over the transmitting antenna, you can't get "too close."

gl
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:23:18 PM by Gary LaPook »

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »

Gary
Yeppers, many NDBs and just loved seeing that ADF needle go from nose-on to tail position when passing over the station and using it as an initial or final approach point..  Right, can never get too close.

Sounds to me as if she didn't have her unit tuned to the proper frequency and failed to "identify" it properly before trying to find a null.
No Worries Mates

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2012, 07:00:24 PM »

Jeff

an 75 years later if not more, u r shaking Ur head at her decision, given the fact that neither her, or her plane have been positively identified or recovered

an given the technology of today we still search for smoking gun evidence, also u say u have i.e 46 hours of simulated instrument training

have u achieved anything to note... i.e broke records  or flew round the world on a path not done before

i mean no disrespect but i find u judging Amelia on today's technology rather sad

i really mean this now. i respect Ric, Martin, Gary, u harry, an every one else on Tighar   

so i think u shud judge Amelia for her time period an not our's  :)

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »

an before anyone as a go at me

harry said AE wasn't the sharpest knife in the utensil drawer

so what does that say about us who cant find her ?

:)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org