Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why wasn't Gardiner identified in the radio messages?  (Read 167305 times)

Thom Boughton

• T2
  • Infinite Rider on The Big Dogma
Re: Why wasn't Gardiner identified in the radio messages?
« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2011, 01:52:29 AM »

I remember the 172H in that I believe the earliest Lycomings Cessna used in that model were problematic - valve train issues I believe.  I'm glad you didn't suffer that problem on top of the fuel issues.

I believe you're speaking of the Lycoming O320-H2AD.  An interesting engine, that one. 

I've been told (by someone I would believe should know) that it was originally developed for helicopter applications.  Don't know for sure that this is true...wouldn't surprise me though.  Yes, it had valve train troubles....the valve lifter rods would seize in the housing tubes.  Plus...it had a curious double magneto.  Two magnetos....one housing ...all sharing a common drive.  Really sort of defeated the purpose of having two magnetos in the first place.  And when you unmated it from the engine....you ran a 50/50 chance of dropping a magnet down inside the engine case.  A real bugger to work on.

....tb
TIGHAR #3159R

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »

I remember the 172H in that I believe the earliest Lycomings Cessna used in that model were problematic - valve train issues I believe.  I'm glad you didn't suffer that problem on top of the fuel issues.

I believe you're speaking of the Lycoming O320-H2AD.  An interesting engine, that one. 

I've been told (by someone I would believe should know) that it was originally developed for helicopter applications.  Don't know for sure that this is true...wouldn't surprise me though.  Yes, it had valve train troubles....the valve lifter rods would seize in the housing tubes.  Plus...it had a curious double magneto.  Two magnetos....one housing ...all sharing a common drive.  Really sort of defeated the purpose of having two magnetos in the first place.  And when you unmated it from the engine....you ran a 50/50 chance of dropping a magnet down inside the engine case.  A real bugger to work on.

....tb
Wow!, brings back memories. I rented a Cherokee Six and flew it from Chicago to the Virgin islands and back. The very next time someone flew that plane the engine quit cold and the pilot ended up ditching it in the lake. When they fished it out and examined the engine it turned out that the drive shaft to the magnetos had sheered. I believe that it was the IO-540-D1 engine and it also had both magnetos in one box with one drive shaft so the failure of the drive caused the loss of both mags. WTF were they thinking!!! when this engine was designed and certificated. It gave me something to think about, it was like somebody was trying to tell me something, with all the land around the plane ended up being DITCHED! I had just put 18.4 hours and about two thousand miles on the plane flying over the ocean and I promised myself that I wouldn't fly single engine over the ocean anymore. But, we all break promises as you might already know if you followed the link I placed in reply # 156 above.

gl
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 04:56:08 PM by Gary LaPook »

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2011, 01:01:02 PM »

Gary
Your connection with Chicago, Hinsdale?  I was born/reared in a suburb south of Chicago (Chicago Heights) and worked at a Laboratory near Hinsdale (Argonne National Labratory). Wasn't flying then.  Got my ticket in 1977 (soloed on the 50th anniversity of Lindbergh's arrival in Paris  May 27, 1977.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2011, 01:08:43 PM »

Sorry about shouting on my previous post, but I don't know what I did wrong to make it come up bold.   DUH
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2011, 01:40:40 PM »

Sorry about shouting on my previous post, but I don't know what I did wrong to make it come up bold.   DUH

You probably hit CTRL-B by accident.

You can always go back and modify a post that didn't turn out the way you wanted it to.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2011, 04:52:32 PM »

Gary
Your connection with Chicago, Hinsdale?  I was born/reared in a suburb south of Chicago (Chicago Heights) and worked at a Laboratory near Hinsdale (Argonne National Labratory). Wasn't flying then.  Got my ticket in 1977 (soloed on the 50th anniversity of Lindbergh's arrival in Paris  May 27, 1977.
My first flying job was flight instructing at the old Hinsdale airport in 1972. I was in the neighborhood about a year ago where I ate lunch with friends at the chicken restaurant located near where the airport used to be.

gl

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2011, 04:32:34 PM »

Anyway, it seems there are ample examples of FN owning his own equipment - I'm satisfied.

LTM -

gl
What examples?

gl

The one now at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, FL, for one, which was "...donated by W. A. Cluthe, a retired Pan Am captain, who said that he had borrowed the Ludolph sextant from Fred Noonan."

Unless of course you have good reason to believe Cluthe himself was a thief for having accepted and then given away goods that did not belong to FN to loan to Cluthe in the first place.  I'm not prepared to make that claim.

LTM -
That was one he gave away when he was teaching navigation at Pan Am. This was even more remote in time than the 1935 flight that he wrote to Weems about. What this tells us is that at a remote point in time Noonan owned one sextant and that he had no need for a marine sextant anymore since he was now involved in flight navigation so he loaned it to a student at Pan Am. It is a real leap to claim that this proves that he carried his own sextant on the Electra many years later. Do you have any proof whatsoever that he personally owned any other marine sextant? If anything, this tends to disprove your theory in that this does prove that the only sextant that there is any evidence that he actually owned was NOT on the flight.
gl

What theory is that, Gary? 

You asked if I had an example of FN ever owning such an instrument so I offered an example.  If that's a 'theory' I guess it's 'proven' - he owned at least one.

Beyond that I don't know that it has any real bearing on the possibility that NR16020 came to rest at Niku one way or the other - that's about the only theory I have in mind on this project.

LTM -
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:26:06 PM by Jeffrey Neville »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org