Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1283129 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #465 on: January 27, 2012, 04:50:46 AM »

right have attached still pic u have to step back from ur screen an let ur eyes focus on it unless u can see it straight away  :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Andreas Badertscher

• T1
« Reply #466 on: January 27, 2012, 05:19:13 AM »

:o

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #467 on: January 27, 2012, 05:26:50 AM »

Richie---you know what? I've been watching our work 'quietly' for about 2 weeks now. Awesome job. After sitting back and looking, it DOES look like a prop, with the engine cowling, in a trough in the reef. It's hard for me to make out the window, but around the 'cowling' is the dark area of the engine, like you might expect it to be. Looks like this is something substantial.
My opinion of course.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Andreas Badertscher

• T1
« Reply #468 on: January 27, 2012, 05:32:20 AM »

I think I see it. The nose is pointed about 180 degrees south (down). right? Amazing!

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #469 on: January 27, 2012, 07:05:13 AM »

jeff we deserve a pat on the back for all our hard work in locateing the electra

i think i can say with 100% confidence i have located Electra in what looks to be recognizable condition the front anyway  :) :D ;D

i just need to find a program that can enhance picture quality as am struggleing to get a clear image of it, any ideas ?
I wouldn't say it's an Electra, it's aircraft wreckage for sure. I have some aeronautics guys studying some of the stills so, will wait for their opinion first before anything else. If I get the thumbs up then the hard part begins, manufacturer and type. That won't be easy but, can be done with enough time and effort. Like I said before, there's not much to go on but, it's all we have. Hopefully be able to do it without having to get feet wet. Keep hunting for tin Richie, the shiny bits are more useful than coral encrusted shapes, good work so far. I don't think any imaging software is going to be of much use here. The quality of the footage is poor due to a number of circumstances, the conditions down there, the difficulty controlling the ROV in the currents and so on.
Jeff
This must be the place

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #470 on: January 27, 2012, 07:55:11 AM »

dont know what sum of them things u mentioned are, only been on 2 planes in my life never again, always coach or cruise now, air crash investigators, are too advanced to have chains holding stuff together  ;D

'Airplane Anatomy 101' might be a good idea then - airplanes are full of chains, sprockets, gears, torque rods, bellcranks, bearings of all sorts, rod ends, cables of various sizes and types, sheet metal of various thicknesses, construction assembly and size, wiring, weldments, machinings, appliances like antennas and boxes, etc. 

Much of that you can glean as you have here - from the historic pictures; but if you really want to play 'what's that rock' then you need to dig deep and consider that you may be looking at a very obscure construction detail or component you hadn't noticed or thought of before.  That's where a thorough knowledge of what's in the guts of an airplane may help here.  Jeff Hayden has offered up a few examples of crumpled metal stuff - that's the approach I'm speaking of - but much, much more.

A 'navigator's stool' was mentioned above - how about a toilet seat?  Do you know what the 'honeybucket' looked like in NR16020?  A seat belt buckle?  An emergency gear handle?  A seat frame bracket?  A propeller counterweight or pitch change dome?  How about a gascolator?  Could you tell such a thing from it's marine counterpart, i.e. consider that if found you might be looking at something tossed from a boat?

It occurs to me that TIGHAR is well into all that - it's part of how you sort out possible targets from chaff, and even then you won't know until you can definitively identify a part. 

As I noticed before, it is going to be a long, hard search.

LTM -

A bit like doing a jigsaw without the picture Jeff

Jeff

Precisely, Jeff H.  That's why I respectfully suggested a bit of 'Airplane Anatomy 101' - it's like giving richie, who's searching his very guts out in this effort, a more detailed picture to work with.

I meant it as encouragement, not discouragement: this search is all about expanding knowledge, so why not expand your working catalogue of the stuff ye'd search for?

LTM -
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #471 on: January 27, 2012, 08:31:11 AM »

right have attached still pic u have to step back from ur screen an let ur eyes focus on it unless u can see it straight away  :)

Why is it that the normal motion view of this segment doesn't even yield a hint of the same contours (window, prop, engine, hatch, etc.)?  All you see in the normal view is relatively smooth sediment. 

Are you using some sort of radar imaging there, Richie?  Odd.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #472 on: January 27, 2012, 09:10:17 AM »

i use photoshop cs5 extended

its excellent it has a photo section, and camera raw an it basically lets u fix pictures that are blurred or to dark it also lets u enhance shadows an shapes of objects under water or when its dark

also police forensics use it to inprove cctv footage an stuff like that  :)

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #473 on: January 27, 2012, 10:16:14 AM »

and it has another section called mini bridge if u open a photo init, it puts a magnifying square box that u can zoom in clearly on little things in pictures

only just found it so chuffed  :) :)

Member# 416

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #474 on: January 27, 2012, 10:43:42 AM »

Could the "T" in Chris' post #481 be something like this...actually attached to the cable? 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #475 on: January 27, 2012, 11:19:58 AM »

Could the "T" in Chris' post #481 be something like this...actually attached to the cable?

the "T" does look attached to the cable if it is a "T" and not just some fancy shadow.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #476 on: January 27, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »

Another model, can't see the "T" in the picture, but you can see how it is at the end of a cable. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #477 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:25 PM »

Does anyone know if the Electra had controls like this.  If not, then that's not what it is! 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #478 on: January 27, 2012, 12:27:42 PM »

What is this "T" handle in the floor of this Electra 10E cockpit?  Was this standard and therefore on AE's? 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #479 on: January 27, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »

All of which underscores the imperative capability of the next ROV mission to include the capability of grasping , holding, and bringing to the surface some of items that appear to be man-made.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org