Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1283014 times)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #435 on: January 25, 2012, 02:31:47 PM »

Did the tail surfaces of the Electra have its N number?  I don't recall having seen that, only the wings with really large numbers.

They're down there, we just haven't found them yet.

BTW, can someone give me a link to the ROV video? or a post number that has a link or its http location?   Thanks
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #436 on: January 25, 2012, 02:53:45 PM »

Did the tail surfaces of the Electra have its N number?  I don't recall having seen that, only the wings with really large numbers.

They're down there, we just haven't found them yet.

BTW, can someone give me a link to the ROV video? or a post number that has a link or its http location?   Thanks

Here you go Harry

ROV video

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #437 on: January 25, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »

jeff can you check the area in the box on this photo please an see if u can find any traces of ally or metal
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #438 on: January 25, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »

jeff can you check the area in the box on this photo please an see if u can find any traces of ally or metal

It would be a miracle Richie because of the low resolution. Even if I run it through a shed load of filters all we're going to end up with is black and white shapes. Good work in hunting down the tin and metalwork though Richie. Ther's a lot down there if you follow the clues, rows of holes/rivets in straight lines, in pairs, circles, semi-circles or any symetrical pattern, not random. Shiny thin edges that look torn or bent, possibly with semi-circular cuts along the edge. Remember, when the ROV is looking at the floor of the reef what you are seeing isn't always what it appears to be, check out whats under the thin coating of coral residue/silt/sediment. Best when ROV has flown over it, although in some shots it's actually landed on said material.

Jeff
This must be the place

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #439 on: January 25, 2012, 05:05:53 PM »

Thanks Chris
No Worries Mates

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #440 on: January 25, 2012, 06:01:11 PM »

Harry, we all agree with that. But, its a matter of money, and the expense of the ROV capabilities, and the support ship and crew. Having a robotic ROV will be expensive. I'm sure Ric has those numbers, and cringes everytime he sees them.
My personal feeling is that IF what Richie, Jeff and others have found in the video & stills ARE parts of the Electra, then I would think that there would be a favorable response from folks with the capabilities (or $ to fund them) to bring up some of these targets. I am very optomistic that TIGHAR can raise the $$$ necessary.
Tom

True - TIGHAR has a large task on its hands - they need to find good reason to return to a spot already filmed - and I'm sure it is hard to get the level of sponsorship that's required for this search.

I like the idea of a manipulator - and I'm sure TIGHAR probably does too, perhaps even on the first trip.  One thing that has not been mentioned is that Kiribati may not be willing to allow TIGHAR to go willy-nilly gouging at precious reef, either - there may be a duty to clearly identify targets before wrenching them out of the reef face or sediment for all I know.  I would not be surprised - and the point is TIGHAR may not be free to go prodding and pulling at every formation that resembles a 'loop, wheel or hatch handle' on that reef. 

For instance - the 'loop' was in high favor here for a few days - but watch the 'moving' film carefully to get full context: it is not a 'loop' unless you see it in the still, which captures a unique perspective of what is really a rather gnarled outcropping of coral or rock - not even close to a 'loop'.  It's going to take a lot more than just studying the stills to sort things out - it's a 3-D world down there in a big way.

What is going on here is a fascinating exercise - but I have to admit, that's mainly because of the enthusiasm, not so much that I think the holy grail is going to be spooked-up from the coral from it. 

Enjoy!

LTM -
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #441 on: January 25, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »

Harry, we all agree with that. But, its a matter of money, and the expense of the ROV capabilities, and the support ship and crew. Having a robotic ROV will be expensive. I'm sure Ric has those numbers, and cringes everytime he sees them.
My personal feeling is that IF what Richie, Jeff and others have found in the video & stills ARE parts of the Electra, then I would think that there would be a favorable response from folks with the capabilities (or $ to fund them) to bring up some of these targets. I am very optomistic that TIGHAR can raise the $$$ necessary.
Tom

True - TIGHAR has a large task on its hands - they need to find good reason to return to a spot already filmed - and I'm sure it is hard to get the level of sponsorship that's required for this search.

I like the idea of a manipulator - and I'm sure TIGHAR probably does too, perhaps even on the first trip.  One thing that has not been mentioned is that Kiribati may not be willing to allow TIGHAR to go willy-nilly gouging at precious reef, either - there may be a duty to clearly identify targets before wrenching them out of the reef face or sediment for all I know.  I would not be surprised - and the point is TIGHAR may not be free to go prodding and pulling at every formation that resembles a 'loop, wheel or hatch handle' on that reef. 

For instance - the 'loop' was in high favor here for a few days - but watch the 'moving' film carefully to get full context: it is not a 'loop' unless you see it in the still, which captures a unique perspective of what is really a rather gnarled outcropping of coral or rock - not even close to a 'loop'.  It's going to take a lot more than just studying the stills to sort things out - it's a 3-D world down there in a big way.

What is going on here is a fascinating exercise - but I have to admit, that's mainly because of the enthusiasm, not so much that I think the holy grail is going to be spooked-up from the coral from it. 

Enjoy!

LTM -

I thought the object in the red box in post 453 looked 'loopier', no pun intended Jeff  :)
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #442 on: January 25, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »

On first glance the black mark in this still looks, well, like a black mark. Red lines pointing to it. It's an illusion created by focusing your attention on the most obvious object, the black mark, therefore your brain appoints the black mark as 'the object'. Now look at the edges of 'the black mark', blue lines pointing, thin, silver/shiny, metallic looking, straight edge, nice semi-circle cut out, goes up across then down. It's a tear in the sheet of metal and, what you are looking at as 'the black mark' is in fact the void beneath the sheet of metal. More tearing is evident above the orange whatsit. I know it's hard to get your head around this stuff but, there it is.
You might also notice some odd looking objects scattered about in the background...

This must be the place

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #443 on: January 25, 2012, 11:08:21 PM »

I see your point - the 'black mark' looks more like a shadow cast underneath a flat, but somewhat wrinkled / wavy sheet or plate.  The 'object' appears to have either holes in it, or dark, smaller objects dotting its surface.

'Shadow' is what is suggested, but I'm having trouble reconciling that against the angle of lighting from the ROV, as compared to the somewhat more subtle shadowing / different angle on other objects - rocks lying about, etc.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #444 on: January 26, 2012, 05:21:37 AM »

I'm here guys, just watching and taking all of this in.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #445 on: January 26, 2012, 06:44:53 AM »

I had always considered this outcrop of circular coral to be a natural feature, it happens. However, when I noticed it was also conical it raised my suspicions. On closer examination the top of the circle appears to have some sort of 'bracket' which still has remnants of whatever it was attached to on it, the edges of the outcrop have that now familiar thin metallic appearance and theres something un coral like near the bottom. Now, from previous posts the title given to the object is arbritary, I am using nosecone so I can locate it easily from the increasing number of files on my pc's. I will try to post a better pic soon.
This must be the place

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #446 on: January 26, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »

Jeff, notice the 'T' shaped peice and the 'Triangular' peice?

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #447 on: January 26, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »

Chris
Round Object   Navigator's Stool cushion?
T-Bar  Navigator's T Square?
Triangle  45 degree/90 degree triangle?
No Worries Mates

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #448 on: January 26, 2012, 12:25:54 PM »

Chris
Round Object   Navigator's Stool cushion?
T-Bar  Navigator's T Square?
Triangle  45 degree/90 degree triangle?

Could be anything Harry but the two items I see have a man made look about them.

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #449 on: January 26, 2012, 12:36:37 PM »

Chris
No question in my mind that they are man-made and I think that the circular object is also.  Nature hardly ever makes things with straight edges or circles.  Except maybe Crop Circles  LOL.
No Worries Mates

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org