Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1282901 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2012, 11:39:34 AM »

jeff on 13:37:52;28 on video, if u look top left at reef wall what do u make of the black stuff
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2012, 11:47:17 AM »

Ric
I assumed that to be the case.
In my experience it is the "buyers" responsibility to specify to the "contractor" the requirements for the system.  Seems to me that the two critical components, other than the operator, are the camera and the position determiner systems and, to avoid spilling the milk, they should be backed up.  Just a thought.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »

In my experience it is the "buyers" responsibility to specify to the "contractor" the requirements for the system.

We don't have the expertise to spec the system.  We spec the required capabilities.

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #228 on: January 15, 2012, 12:23:21 PM »

Ric
Let's not split hairs.
To specify that the system must have the "capability" to, for example, operate to a depth of, say 1000 feet, is placing a "requirement" on the system.  To specify that the critical components of the system be reduntantly and independently "backed up" is to "require" that the system have a certain  capability.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2012, 01:05:25 PM »

jeff on 13:37:52;28 on video, if u look top left at reef wall what do u make of the black stuff

Hi Richie. I'll have a look 2moro and let you now. At the moment I am sending some images over to my sister, she is a professional photographer (35 years) and has her own business/studio. As a test I haven't told her what to look for in the images, just to see if there is anything there that is out of place with the surroundings.
Will take a look at the footage you mention.
Bear in mind though that the focus of the video is on wire and rope. Anything else is out of focus and brief unfortunately.
Jeff
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #230 on: January 15, 2012, 01:12:36 PM »

cheers jeff, look forward to ur sisters input  :)

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2012, 08:32:43 AM »

Alittle off topic-- but was a depth sounding ever made from Naia to try to determine the bottom depth at the reef line? I have a feeling that it is alot more than the 1500 feet I was hoping. If Niku is actually the top of a mountain, then the bottom 'could' be closer to 8- 10,000 feet down. Not what we want to hear. So I guess my question is are there any depth charts of the surrounding area, on approach to Niku, and if so, what depths do they show?
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2012, 08:43:59 AM »

So I guess my question is are there any depth charts of the surrounding area, on approach to Niku, and if so, what depths do they show?

We have that data, both from sonar soundings taken during our 2010 expedition and from physical soundings taken by the U.S. Navy in 1939.  Attached is a general profile of the reef slope off the western end of the atoll showing the depths we've searched. Note: only a small portion of the reef slope has been search down to 300 meters.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2012, 08:58:11 AM »

Thanks Ric---I did find a chart , and it appears that the area off the shipwreck had the deepest area. ( it figures) 914 feet to 3200+, then to 4000. So, the stern of the NC and any large parts of the Electra that were there, could probably be in very deep water. Seems the transition from ocean bottom to the upper reef ledge (900 feet) is fairly steep, Reminds me of the Napali coastline on Kauai. If this is true, then this really is a needle in a haystack, and might prove to be virtually impossible. Any thoughts?
Tom

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #234 on: January 16, 2012, 09:03:14 AM »

this really is a needle in a haystack, and might prove to be virtually impossible. Any thoughts?

It's a tough environment but I don't think it's impossible.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2012, 09:04:15 AM »

If the reef slope looks like this (excpet underwater), then it is a monumental task. But NOT impossible. I know if any one can TIGHAR can.
Tom

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2012, 12:48:22 PM »

who wants to come reef diveing then  ;D

doubt 1 of these wud last round gardner reef  :D

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #237 on: January 16, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »

Thanks Ric---I did find a chart , and it appears that the area off the shipwreck had the deepest area. ( it figures) 914 feet to 3200+, then to 4000. So, the stern of the NC and any large parts of the Electra that were there, could probably be in very deep water. Seems the transition from ocean bottom to the upper reef ledge (900 feet) is fairly steep, Reminds me of the Napali coastline on Kauai. If this is true, then this really is a needle in a haystack, and might prove to be virtually impossible. Any thoughts?
Tom

Tom
Here's a graphic illustration of the terrain below sea level at Niku. As you can see it's gonna be a challenge. Just look how quickly the depth of water inreases.

This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #238 on: January 16, 2012, 02:13:43 PM »

Link to website of Seamont Catalog where you can find many files on water depths around niku, although for some strange reason they still refer to it as Gardner?

http://earthref.org/SC/SMNT-047S-1745W/

Jeff

This must be the place

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:17:36 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #239 on: January 16, 2012, 03:13:40 PM »

Would it be sensible to start a new thread cataloging the items that 'definately appear' to be man made as opposed to might, possibly,could etc... be. Something along the lines of the items found on the island.
Just a thought

Jeff
This must be the place

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org