Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1283242 times)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2012, 08:33:58 PM »

Is the video itself somewhere on the Forum?  If so, can someone give me a link to it or a post number to find it?
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »

Is the video itself somewhere on the Forum?  If so, can someone give me a link to it or a post number to find it?

Harry, it's in the forum, go to the home page it's second from bottom. Richie posted it (who else ) :)
This must be the place

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2012, 09:24:42 PM »

Can anyone estimate (guesstimate) a depth for this?

The "wire & rope" video was shot at a depth of about 800 feet.

I wonder what the ROV operator thinks as he must have a trained eye for this type of work. Is there an official report from him or some professional agency on the video?

The ROV operator thought the "wire" was probably natural organic material.  He thought the "rope" was rope.  He didn't comment on the black squiggly thing.
I personally think the black squiggly thing is natural organic material and only a few inches long.  I don't see a strut.  I see some curious straight edges that may indicate a man-made object - but whatever it is, if anything, is quite small.

To answer an earlier question about knowing where the ROV is:
The control unit aboard ship includes a GPS.  The location of the ROV is computed by recording the azimuth and distance of the ROV relative to the control unit.  Unfortunately the program that does that computation was flawed.  Bottom line: we didn't know where any of the  ROV video was shot except in a general sense.  Bummer.

Thanks Ric. That all helps. It is very unfortunate about the GPS.

I believe the black squiggly is organic due to its black look. It's too consistent or uniform in colour and so different from the surroundings.  I spent time today however looking for images of coral animals and vegetation without being successful in finding anything that looked like that.  I guess we keep looking.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 06:45:17 AM by Irvine John Donald »

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2012, 03:16:19 AM »

Thought i'd seen something similar, turned out to be closer to home than I thought.  Image is of twisted power cable for my router.  Like ric says the 'squiggle' may be smaller than we think.  My mess of cable is just a couple of inches in size. Sorry for the dog hairs, the misses would go nuts if she knew I had posted this picture  ;D

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2012, 06:34:24 AM »

Black squiggly stuff onboard Electra outlined, rubber?
This must be the place

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 06:41:09 AM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2012, 06:36:28 AM »

Black squiggly stuff onboard Electra outlined? Appears to be being used to cushion the fuel tanks from the brackets that retain the tanks to prevent damage, sparking, chaffing, rubber?
This must be the place

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 06:41:25 AM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Erik

• T3
« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2012, 07:40:14 AM »

I'm actually having second thoughts on the objects we're seeing.  Most of this time, I had been concentrating on the still images.  But going back and looking at the video several times, it looks as though scale may be an issue here. 

Looking at the video more-and-more, it does appear that many of these objects may be less than 12" inches or so.  It is hard to tell, but especially the object that looks slightly triangular as a candidate for the tail-wheel assembly, is very close to the rope, and looks like it might be just a couple of inches in dimension.

Although, the "black squiggly" stuff may still be petroleum of some sort.  On second review it appears to may have dripped out of the longer cable/hose line in the preceding frames.  Take a look?

I'm trying to stitch together the images so relative scale may be better determined.  Give me more time for this.

For those who dont have it, here is a link to the VIDEO on youtube. 
Hint: clicking the space bar on your keyboard will pause/play the video to capture still images.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2012, 08:10:12 AM »

More scrap metal with rivet? holes
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »

Any ideas what this object could be? It's partially buried in the coral silt.
This must be the place

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2012, 09:37:09 AM »

You guys are in Fantasy Land.  Every shape becomes a man-made object.  Every dark spot becomes a rivet hole.  It's like the folks who find the Electra on Google Earth (daily and twice on Sundays).  I want to find airplane debris in the ROV video as much as the next guy but I've learned (through bitter experience) that forensic imagery interpretation is best left to the professionals.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »

You guys are in Fantasy Land.  Every shape becomes a man-made object.  Every dark spot becomes a rivet hole.  It's like the folks who find the Electra on Google Earth (daily and twice on Sundays).  I want to find airplane debris in the ROV video as much as the next guy but I've learned (through bitter experience) that forensic imagery interpretation is best left to the professionals.
Totally agree Ric. I wouldn't waste my time on google Earth either. However, the ROV was a little closer than the satellite images from google Earth. Randomly positioned holes yes, holes in line and in semi-circles, no. Not everything down there is man made but, the fixation with 'rope and wire' led to the best still moments being of, well, rope and wire. Lamentably all the rest of the junk down there was caught on the move to find the next bit of rope and wire, shame but, that's all we have to go on. Still, no use crying over spilt milk.
If anyone is expecting to find airplane debris that can be instantly recognised as such is going to sadly disappointed. It would be in a million bits, covered in coral, coral residue etc... disguised so well it would be impossible to tell it from the surrounding scenery. I will continue to scan these images for things that look out of place on a tropical coral reef. That doesn't mean they are from an aircraft but, that doesn't matter. They are there and, there's no argument about that.
Some of the ideas and theories may seem off the wall but, that's what narrows down the options, discounting these leads to a better understanding of what is actually down there. "Forensic imagery interpretation is best left to the professionals" and I would be intersted to see what they make of some the video footage as well as you.

Jeff
This must be the place

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:08:56 AM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #221 on: January 15, 2012, 11:05:42 AM »

IF the item could be a fork from the tail wheel, THEN could the black "squiggly" thingie be a belly antenna wire that wrapped around the tail wheel in flight?  As in a loose end roatating inthe slip stream and twisting around the wheel>
No Worries Mates

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2012, 11:13:25 AM »

More bits on coral reef that seem out of place for coral reef
This must be the place

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2012, 11:27:54 AM »

Ric
With respect to a backup GPS underwater system for future ROV excursions, Sound Ocean Systems Inc (SOSI)  offers such units.  (www.soundocean.com) .  I couldn't find any price data.
No Worries Mates

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2012, 11:30:51 AM »

With respect to a backup GPS underwater system for future ROV excursions, Sound Ocean Systems Inc (SOSI)  offers such units.

Whatever system we use will be provided by the contractor we select to carry out the survey/search.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org