Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1283043 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #195 on: January 14, 2012, 03:46:50 PM »

Notice the similar location off the grease fitting nipple in the photo vs where the "black squiggly" seems to be originating in the reef image.  Coincidental?

Erik
The more I see of the photo on the right the more convinced it's a deflated tyre on the wheel hub
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2012, 04:09:22 PM »

Surely does look like it, doesn't it... I'll be more amazed if it turns out to be a rock than I would be if it was a tire.

You guys are going to be keeping me up nights now.

LTM -
Jeff, it's the light coloured circle on the left of the darker circle that forces you to consider it being a wheel with a deflated tyre on it.
Jeff
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2012, 04:11:07 PM »

Wow--you guys have been busy today!
?? about the possible submerged plane pic----How far off the shoreline do you think the target is, and is this a similiar location to the ROV pics we are looking at?
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2012, 04:18:44 PM »

Can anyone estimate (guesstimate) a depth for this?  Would that depth exert enough pressure to "flatten" the tire onto the ledge?  If the scale of the fork can be calculated from a real photograph then doesn't that make the black squiggly have a sizeable diameter?  I'm just worried this imagery is like what can be seen on a cloudy day. Lots of images made by clouds changing formation. The Internet is full of them. Or seeing a face in a tortilla, or piece of toast, or popcorn.  I wonder what the ROV operator thinks as he must have a trained eye for this type of work. Is there an official report from him or some professional agency on the video?
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2012, 04:52:52 PM »

Can anyone estimate (guesstimate) a depth for this?

The "wire & rope" video was shot at a depth of about 800 feet.

I wonder what the ROV operator thinks as he must have a trained eye for this type of work. Is there an official report from him or some professional agency on the video?

The ROV operator thought the "wire" was probably natural organic material.  He thought the "rope" was rope.  He didn't comment on the black squiggly thing.
I personally think the black squiggly thing is natural organic material and only a few inches long.  I don't see a strut.  I see some curious straight edges that may indicate a man-made object - but whatever it is, if anything, is quite small.

To answer an earlier question about knowing where the ROV is:
The control unit aboard ship includes a GPS.  The location of the ROV is computed by recording the azimuth and distance of the ROV relative to the control unit.  Unfortunately the program that does that computation was flawed.  Bottom line: we didn't know where any of the  ROV video was shot except in a general sense.  Bummer.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »

guys---looking at the 'gear' pic again, it appears the black stuff is coming from around the seal, between the upper and lower halves. The black stuff, which I now think is strut oil/grease like Jeff, is on both sides of the strut, and appears to be coming out also from underneath. That would make it NOT a brake hose, but the hose may still be there under the strut,
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2012, 06:01:19 PM »

As I mentioned before, it's likely that all this junk originates from a plane but, is it the Electra? could a WW2 plane have ditched here? is there any record of this happening? You wouldn't be interested into researching this possibility Richie?
Great work Richie, keep going.

"Aircraft lost in the vicinity of Nikumaroro."

Marty, thanks for the list of planes crashed in vicinity of Niku. I have checked out the ones on the list and none come even close to resembling the junk found in the ROV video. Either retractable single struts, double bogies, seaplanes with afore mentioned gear.
The carrier borne planes seem to prefer retractable single strut gear for obvious reasons I would guess. The heavier twin engine or four engine planes again, seem to have either a single heavy duty strut or double bogie, or both.
Is there a list of Japanese planes used in the Pacific theatre I could scroll through?
Or a list of US planes?
You never know, we have to cover every angle of investigation.

Jeff
This must be the place

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2012, 07:06:31 PM »

"Aircraft lost in the vicinity of Nikumaroro."

Is there a list of Japanese planes used in the Pacific theatre I could scroll through?

Not that I have in hand.

Or a list of US planes?

The lists that I know of are listed in the footnotes.

Ric created the original version of this list in 2001.  He may have other sources.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2012, 07:42:59 PM »

Ric created the original version of this list in 2001.  He may have other sources.

Nothing new has come to light since then.

There were no Japanese aircraft lost within about 800 miles of Gardner Island/Nikumaroro.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2012, 07:55:40 PM »

Nothing new has come to light since then.

There were no Japanese aircraft lost within about 800 miles of Gardner Island/Nikumaroro.

Ok, thanks Ric and Marty. That narrows down the search a bit :)
Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2012, 08:10:25 PM »

The object in the black box first caught my eye a few days back. It's very distracting though. It distracts you from what it is sitting on/attached to. Something large, thin, flat, torn, twisted, full of holes, some in lines, some torn, some pulled out like volcanoes, edges twisted, torn, lines, a square? holes around a square? raised up surfaces in lines and so on.
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2012, 08:12:31 PM »

Here it is again
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2012, 08:14:12 PM »

And again

This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2012, 08:29:12 PM »

Anyone notice long thin black strips of... in these photos?
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »

And here? It's being used to protect the fuel tanks from the retaining kit.
This must be the place

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:43:21 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org