Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1283877 times)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2012, 10:53:15 AM »

Jeff---consider the brake hose liner--3/16 ID, 5/16 OD. This appears to be 8-9 feet long , but it may have been one piece inside the landing gear bay--
tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2012, 11:05:56 AM »

hey guys, I appologise.  I'm not trying to speculate, or sway the vision of what others may see. Like you, I've been studying the stills, and historical pics of not only the Electra, but of P&W radials. I think we can agree that there are a fw strange things on that coral. I must admit, that I got excited about a 'target'. Having looked over alot of pics this past week, ------well I dont want to speculate, ok.

I'll try to refrane from such enthusiastic outbursts!

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2012, 11:20:17 AM »

hey guys, I appologise.  I'm not trying to speculate, or sway the vision of what others may see. Like you, I've been studying the stills, and historical pics of not only the Electra, but of P&W radials. I think we can agree that there are a fw strange things on that coral. I must admit, that I got excited about a 'target'. Having looked over alot of pics this past week, ------well I dont want to speculate, ok.

I'll try to refrane from such enthusiastic outbursts!

Tom, nothing is out of the question and, everything needs to be considered, my sea weed one is a good example :).
Any idea on the methods of construction and materials used in the hydraulic and brake lines in the 1930's?
There's a factory near where I live called Dunlop Hiflex. They have been making these sort of things for donkeys years. I'll pop in there next week and see if they have anything from the 1930's that might shed some light on this avenue of exploration i.e how they were made and, using what materials. Don't forget though, it's the hardware down there that needs identifying as well, not easy. The stills that are of most use are when the ROV isn't being moved around, nice clean image. When it's on the move they're not much use, too much blur
Jeff
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2012, 11:33:33 AM »

Jeff---look at the resolution at the fork---the dark area at the fork----a tire deflated? Is it me or wishful thinking?
Tom

Tom, I had considered that and, yes it is a possibility especially when you consider the fact that the main gear wheels had mudguards which would prevent any chance of ever seeing a perfect round black tyre, be it inflated or deflated. A partial circle of black with the lighter surfaces of the hub at the centre is the best we are going to get and, that thing inbetween the forks/prongs does look inviting.

Jeff
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2012, 11:44:50 AM »

Jeff---been researching the hose thing a bit. Aircraft hose that we know today (Aeroquip 303, ans Stratoflex 111) has a textile woven outer cover, a steel wire reinforcement, a textile barrier, and a neoprene/nitril liner. I suspect that in 1936-37, there was something similar. Aeroquip didnt start until 1939, so I'm think Goodyear. They were involved in disc brake development for aircraft.
After 75 years, I suspect all that might be left would be the liner. Still checking on pre WWII hoses.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »

The black squigle kind of reminds me of a deflated cycle inner tube wrapped round some coral.

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »

If, and it is a definate if at this point, this mystery object is in fact one of the landing gear struts, and if the dark area is indeed a deflated tire, then I don't think that this would be Nessie. I would sooner think it would be her twin sister. If you recall in the wheel of fortune article http://tighar.org/Publications/TTracks/2003Vol_19/1904.pdf, (sorry Marty, I couldn't find your post on how to insert links), Dr. Stone described what may be a wheel rim sans tire/strut. I would sooner think that that wheel, if it was, would have been Nessie. Sitting out on the reef where the colonists may have seen it and salvaged it. If this object is a strut I would believe it to have been a part of the plane carried off of the reef flat with other wreckage. I, too, think that the shape of the object is similar to a strut, possibly with the tire. I am cautious however in that, as a recreational diver, I have seen a lot of shapes underwater that appear to be man made but turn out to be natural and vice versa. Check out some photos taken of objects underwater and you'll see what I mean. I do hope that this object can be relocated and proves to be what we all are speculating and hoping that it might be. Ah, the excitement builds.....    LTM  -John

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »

I agree with you too John. Under water stuff can be very decieving. One day we'll figure this out.
Historical note: talked with a long time aviation mechanic with much experience. He did some digging and found out that during the time frame of the Electra build and repair, hydraulic brake hose were in use, and made of a natural rubber liner covered by a cloth outer reinforcement. Seems our friend Allan Lockheed had founded the Lockheed Hydraulic Brake Company. Stands to reson that this most advanced airpalne would have such items as disc brakes, and most probably using Allan's own hardware. Still researching---

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2012, 02:30:55 PM »

No sermon Jeff, I was the one that got really out of control on this. I'll stay reserved-------UNTIL Ric and Co go there with the ROV, a submirsible, barge and crane, and bring the Electra home.
Tom

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2012, 06:09:57 PM »

Jeff my friend, we are on the same track, looking and I think hopeing for the same thing. The excellent work by those talented enough to stop video and get a still pic from it ( i cant do it -ive tried!) has really opened my eyes on what a monumental task this project really is. Ric, I dont know how you do it, just glad you do.

Hopefully, TIGHAR can get the ROV on the next expedition. I believe the evidence is down there. I also believe that TIGHAR will get the resources to bring up the evidence.
Tom

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »

I told a friend the other day that this search is a bit like the story of the tortoise and the hare. The hare is the fast route to the "aha" moment with the smoking gun. The tortoise is the slow approach using archaeology in the land search. The difference here is that both the tortoise and the hare have the same goal and are on the same side. When one crosses the finish line then everyone wins.  The archaeology has brought Artifacts forward. The underwater search hasn't yet but my hope is these ROV stills can help change this. But lets keep both the tortoise and the hare in the race.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2012, 07:02:36 PM »

True Irv---we are on the same team.

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2012, 08:25:24 PM »

Jeff
I think that Lough means Lake, not Log.  I wouldn't swear to that though.
Prhaps we should refer to the strange item as Lougheed Nessie?   hehe 8)
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2012, 09:20:52 PM »

"Lougheed Nessie"
OUCH! (but I laughed anyway)
Cheers,
JohnO

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2012, 04:23:47 AM »

Yet another still :(

This must be the place

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org