Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1284133 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #1395 on: July 19, 2012, 06:49:09 AM »

The AUV is best suited to mapping a nice tidy area that contains a nice tidy target. They are extremely good in good conditions and, there are a number of videos on YouTube showing them doing their job. They have been a great help in finding wreckage on the sea floor e.g. Titanic + various other wrecks including aircraft.
Niku' reef face? The AUV isn't happy with these conditions and, I don't blame it.
ROV could be the saving grace here giving the operators real time obstacle avoidance. Whatever happens they've done a pretty good job given the circumstances.
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #1396 on: July 19, 2012, 07:05:44 AM »

Guys and Leon--I'm guessing that the targets are not the electra. Seems they went deep and found the stern and parts of the keel of the NC, but I'm suspecting nothing on the Electra.
the previous video that we've all seen has 'suspected' parts, at around 800 feet. Location is not known, although the general area is. Like you guys, I hope that those areas are revistied, but I'm thinking that time is running out. Damn. yea hey have done a grea job, under very trying circumstances.
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
This must be the place

Paul R Titus

• T1
« Reply #1398 on: July 19, 2012, 09:24:32 AM »

Actually, Jeff, Titanic was not found with an AUV or side-scan sonar; it was found in a corner of the search "box" using an ROV equipped with cameras. They were "mowing the lawn" (so to speak) doing a visual search and stumbled upon the debris trail. So even in that "cleaner" environment, side-scan sonar didn't find it.

REF:
http://www.titanic-titanic.com/discovery_of_titanic.shtml
http://www.titanic-facts.com/titanic-wreck.html

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1399 on: July 19, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »

That's good news Paul. The last report from the expedition suggested that 'mowing the lawn' with the ROV was the next step. One can only hope it works for this wreck site as well.
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #1400 on: July 19, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »

Paul, that was a good thought. Titanic was alot deeper, and more of a flat bottom. the NC wreckage, as well as the Electra( positive thought) wreckage is somewhere on the reef slope, and down to the bottom, at +- 2900 feet. No telling how for away from the shoreline it may be. Perhaps they already know that, and are working their way back. Guess this is a much smaller needle in a much larger haystack. Ric will see it through---and the Electra will expose herself.  :o Did I say that right? you know what I mean.
tom

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1401 on: July 19, 2012, 12:08:12 PM »

When u think of the time it's took to find stuff in the rov video, i wonder how these tech's can dismiss objects after a few minutes of viewing

I mean no disrespect to the tech's i just believe you need allot longer to analyze objects

take the silver object arrows are pointing to ? the object is just under the possible broken bulb

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1402 on: July 19, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »

Richie
You have to remember that we are doing the looking in hindsight and, have all the time in the world to go through it. These guys are on a tight schedule and have literally 100's of hours of video to get through and, keep the kit up and running. Plus, it's not easy to to pick objects out from the surrounding mess as we have discovered. Seventy odd years have taken it's toll on whatever it was and, seventy odd years of reef erosion sits on top of it.
Don't despair ;)
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #1403 on: July 19, 2012, 12:57:45 PM »

Today is the day

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1404 on: July 19, 2012, 01:03:45 PM »

Today is the day

Would be nice Tom if they find something that means they will have to put in some overtime ;)
This must be the place

Paul R Titus

• T1
« Reply #1405 on: July 19, 2012, 03:37:09 PM »

and the Electra will expose herself.  :o Did I say that right?

LOL Tom, yes you said it right!  :D  They (and hence us) are learning that the sonar must be at a certain angle/tuned right/whatever to even find NC wreckage which everyone knows is there. Thus, the expedition is learning things, not to mention gaining knowledge about the topography of the Gardner seamount. All this is very valuable science that they are doing. AND I think (or should I say hope  ???) that the location of the ROV is being recorded this time, am I right? If so, then once they find something (even back here at home) interesting while reviewing the tapes, then they should be able to go right back out there to find it again....with a couple more $ mil or so, of course!

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #1406 on: July 20, 2012, 11:14:42 AM »

LOL Paul-----certainly did not want to get into trouble by mis-speaking something ;)
Its is interesting to note that the online KOK deck logs havent been updated since the 16th. HUM--
Yes you are right about the topography. Yes, we have ALOT more data now than we had before this expedition. Perhaps next trip will provide the answers.

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #1407 on: July 21, 2012, 04:00:21 PM »

I was looking at the NR16020 March '37 Luke hangar photo and it jogged my memory about something in the 2010 ROV video.  Have a look at the attached pics.  Does your mind go into "camel/cloud" mode and conjure up similarities between the the dark pattern on the right side of the ROV still, and the "2" in RH wing registration number?  Mine sure does.  It's amazing how powerful the imagination can be. . .  :o
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #1408 on: July 22, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »

Tie-down ring discussion in "Beach the Electra - what if?" thread reminded me of another spot in 2010 ROV video.  Again, interesting how one's imagination puts this stuff together.   :)
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1409 on: July 22, 2012, 05:50:11 PM »

I was looking at the below image an noticed were the top arrow points to end of wire, it has a bar at the end ?

the arrow pointing down, is to the headphones jack looking connection ?

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org