Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1283189 times)

Irvine John Donald

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #1125 on: May 03, 2012, 01:50:54 AM »

I think Jeff N summed this up in his last post. Great enthusiasm but not enough science. Let's see what the ROV survey brings.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #1126 on: May 03, 2012, 03:21:38 AM »

Nature is too dynamic and has too much time on her 'hands' - she can put a sculptor to shame and all manner of shapes come to be - including what may occasionally appear to be 'straight' lines.  Try looking at the same 'line' from a different angle - may be anything but straight viewed differently.

My favorite example that I show my "Introduction to Mathematical Modeling" students, to illustrate why the aphorism "Nature abhors a straight line" has to be taken with a grain of salt, is shown in this picture from Capetown, South Africa.  No wonder the locals call it Table Mountain.  And sometimes the clouds roll over the edge, and they say it looks like there's a tablecloth on Table Mountain.
And is what appears to be a road paved with square blocks in the shallow water near Bimini attributed to either space aliens or to the lost city of Atlantis. I dove on it and it sure looks man made.

gl

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1127 on: May 03, 2012, 06:14:10 AM »

Don't forget The Giants Causeway in N. Ireland
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1128 on: May 07, 2012, 07:39:14 AM »

Back to the ROV footage again (sorry) and it's the door shaped etc... again. The object of these 2 images is to concentrate on...
a) the colour (color) of the material pointed out
b) the thinness of it
c) some of it appears to be 'draped' over the coral growth
d) the shape and holes in it

This must be the place

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:07:04 AM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1129 on: May 07, 2012, 10:03:37 AM »

antenna cable

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1130 on: May 07, 2012, 10:28:01 AM »

Jeff H

object A, the Hole

object B, the Bolt

A must have attached to B

i have outlined the door object which must be a panel not a door

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1131 on: May 07, 2012, 11:00:39 AM »

Yes, it's difficult to tell what the 'door' is without seeing the otherside of it Richie. Could be a panel, infill etc... It is a double skin construction which points to door/panel/infill. On the otherside there could be anything ?  :)
I have my own theory about the wire/cable that, if it does turn out to be aircraft wreckage, would be perfectly logical. After all it does appear to be well wrapped up in whatever the wreckage is and, runs from top to bottom/front to back ;)
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1132 on: May 07, 2012, 02:12:53 PM »

they are similar J.C

cant wait for the new Rov dive can't come quick enough  :)

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1133 on: May 08, 2012, 07:24:11 AM »

they are similar J.C

cant wait for the new Rov dive can't come quick enough  :)

Richie
With the extra capabilities of the AUV it should prove to be invaluable in locating anything 'un-reef like' that may be down there. The ROV on this trip is also a step up in capabilities from the previous trip. The amount and quality of the information and data this ROV can collect is really impressive having read the specs' for it. The only thing that can ruin it all of course is the weather >:(

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/niku7.html
http://www.phnx-international.com/remora-technology.html
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1134 on: May 09, 2012, 09:38:07 AM »

Another coincidence?
I tried to find where the other end of the wire/cable ends up. Starting at the bottom of the reef slope with the odd shaped fitting on the end of the wire/cable, image 1. Followed it up to where it is last visible, image 2 which is, coincidentally, the area which contains what I suspect used to be a control surface, image 3.
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1135 on: May 09, 2012, 02:10:06 PM »

look to the left were arrow points it's some kind chain like object

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1136 on: May 09, 2012, 02:38:39 PM »

look to the left were arrow points it's some kind chain like object
That's right Richie, there's hundreds of these little bits lying around but, the problem is identyfying what they are, were, or were a part of, when intact. It's difficult without the complete set of drawings and, sub assembly drawings. Even then I doubt if they would be much help as they would show components in a clean and pristine condition which again, is something that obviously isn't the case in this situation.
This must be the place

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #1137 on: May 10, 2012, 05:48:18 AM »

I've enjoyed this thread and, in fact, it inspired me to get off my duff and actually join TIGHAR. But one thing seems to be nagging me in the back of my mind - just how certain is it that what you think you are finding actually would look like that 70 some odd years out? In terms of coral/sediment/whatever encrustation at that depth that is. I'm not the least bit trying to rain on your parade as I feel that you've seemingly identified some very credible (at least looking) things in the stills.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1138 on: May 10, 2012, 10:03:55 AM »

That's a tough one to answer Tim. As Jeff points out it's still only an opinion at this stage as to what is down there. From my own point of view I am confident they will find aircraft wreckage based on what I have seen. I have even tried to un-convince myself based upon some very valid comments on the forum. Example: what would aircraft wreckage look like after 75 years underwater? well, there have been some splendid pictures of aircraft intact resting peacefully of the bottom of the ocean or lagoon but, that isn't the environment on the reef at nikumaroro as we have come to see in the reef dynamics thread.
I have even tried the 'could it be someone elses plane' route and, that went nowhere as well as it was pointed out that there was only one plane missing in this area at that time. Despite days of research I could only find one other missing twin engined plane for that time period and that was hundreds + of miles away heading for california from Hawaii. I'll keep looking though.
At this stage it would suffice to say that there IS something down there, it was made from material and construction methods designed for lightness, not ploughing through 60 foot waves. It has been there for quite a long time, otherwise we would all be able to see 100% of it but we can't, coral, sediment, residue, whatever naturally prevents that, I would be suspicious if that wasn't the case.
It's not in pristine condition and again, I would be suspicious if it was.
Anyway, there are only 2 possible outcomes this July
1. Aircraft wreckage is found
2. No aircraft wreckage is found
If I was a betting man I would put my 10 bucks on outcome 1 ;)
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1139 on: May 10, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »

i agree guys

most stuff on this topic is peoples own opinions, only time will tell

if i had to put money on either

finding Electra in July

or

Liverpool FC winning premier league next season 

my money is on Electra  :)

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org