Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1284180 times)

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #1110 on: April 26, 2012, 06:05:19 AM »

At one stage someone was claiming to have found an engine, the cowl and the propellor right down to the manufacturer's decal on the propellor blades

Finally, all will become clearer later this year. IMHO there is something on the reef slope that doesn't naturally belong there.
Notice the use of IMHO

I was remarking that I know what a radial engine, its cowl, a propellor and the decal that goes on the propellor blade look like, and yes I am afraid that stuff in the video just looks like coral. I also have a pretty sound idea through experience of what instruments and undercarriage legs and the other assorted bits and pieces of an aircraft's structure look like, and once more all I can see in the video is coral. I'll not deny that I hope that for TIGHAR's sake that after all this effort they do find something there, but let it be something other than another blind alley.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1111 on: April 28, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »

Jeff

if u look closely were the red arrows are pointing to, can u see the shape of mechanism ?
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1112 on: April 29, 2012, 06:20:50 PM »

Ah ,yes Richie, the door shaped 'lump of coral'. Worth another visit I think as there was quite a lot of unexplained "    " on it. I'll dig out the files and sees what we have.
Brilliant hat trick, last goal was amazing!!!!
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #1113 on: April 30, 2012, 05:36:38 AM »

Wrong thread---but either of you 2 coming to DC?
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1114 on: April 30, 2012, 07:25:27 AM »

Wrong thread---but either of you 2 coming to DC?

Tom, I would have given my right arm to be there but, I am retiring this month and, have tons of stuff to do at work before they cut me loose. Those that are attending I wish you all the best. This time around you should all have your confidence levels raised a lot more than previous gatherings. The jigsaw pieces are slowly coming together, just remains to be seen what the picture on the box turns out to be...
everyone can add 'hilarious' comments here, I'll go first...
The Loch Ness monster ;D
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1115 on: April 30, 2012, 07:36:08 AM »

Back to the thread. I will  post some stills of the door/hatch shaped 'lump of coral' with the "  " highlighted. There are around 5 or 6 "  " to point out. I have no idea what they are, yet. Odd that so many "  " appear on just one 'lump of coral'.

This must be the place

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #1116 on: April 30, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »

I cannot understand why so much wishful thinking has been allowed to push the concept of proof aside. It doesn't help to advance TIGHAR's hypothesis.

Malcolm,  I'm sorry I haven't had time to reply to the questions you've raised on various threads.  They're good questions to which (I think) I have good answers.  I just have way too much on my plate right now.  I hope you'll come to the symposium in June.

I agree with you that this particular thread does not help advance the TIGHAR hypothesis.  We try not to control what forum subscribers want to say as long as it's vaguely on-topic and civil and we make it clear that TIGHAR does not endorse this kind of camels-in-the-clouds magical thinking.

We've done some genuine forensic imaging analysis of interesting-looking objects that appear in underwater photos taken at Nikumaroro, but we've seen nothing so far that is worth getting excited about.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #1117 on: April 30, 2012, 09:45:47 AM »

... but we've seen nothing so far that is worth getting excited about.

Does that include the landing gear shaped thingie?

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1118 on: April 30, 2012, 05:54:39 PM »

Can we try to keep this thread on topic please.
 ;)
This must be the place

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #1119 on: April 30, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »

[
Malcolm,  I'm sorry I haven't had time to reply to the questions you've raised on various threads.  They're good questions to which (I think) I have good answers.  I just have way too much on my plate right now.  I hope you'll come to the symposium in June.

I agree with you that this particular thread does not help advance the TIGHAR hypothesis.  We try not to control what forum subscribers want to say as long as it's vaguely on-topic and civil and we make it clear that TIGHAR does not endorse this kind of camels-in-the-clouds magical thinking.

We've done some genuine forensic imaging analysis of interesting-looking objects that appear in underwater photos taken at Nikumaroro, but we've seen nothing so far that is worth getting excited about.

G'day Ric

Thanks for the reply - I would like to attend but it's a bit of an expensive trip for me. I guess we are all waiting to see what comes out of the next trip - especially in regard to seeing with the enhanced ROV equipment just what does lie of the reef at Nikumaroro.

Regards

Malcolm

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1120 on: May 01, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »

how does coral form such straight lines unles it's forming round an object ?

:-\

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #1121 on: May 01, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »

how does coral form such straight lines unles it's forming round an object ?

I don't see straight lines, I just see rather rough edged fracture surfaces.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #1122 on: May 02, 2012, 02:08:53 AM »

I'm with Malcolm on this one.  If the corel is subjected to forces that cause it to fracture along a fault then this failt would produce lines like these.  Wave action at the surf line would round these off but not at this depth hence the roughly streight line.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1123 on: May 02, 2012, 05:11:53 AM »

?

This must be the place

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #1124 on: May 02, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »

Nature is too dynamic and has too much time on her 'hands' - she can put a sculptor to shame and all manner of shapes come to be - including what may occasionally appear to be 'straight' lines.  Try looking at the same 'line' from a different angle - may be anything but straight viewed differently.

My favorite example that I show my "Introduction to Mathematical Modeling" students, to illustrate why the aphorism "Nature abhors a straight line" has to be taken with a grain of salt, is shown in this picture from Capetown, South Africa.  No wonder the locals call it Table Mountain.  And sometimes the clouds roll over the edge, and they say it looks like there's a tablecloth on Table Mountain.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org