Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cessna 310; Sky King  (Read 21072 times)

Gary LaPook

• T5
Cessna 310; Sky King
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:51:32 PM »

That's a very cool picture, Richie.  Piques the imagination for sure.

As first blush I thought the engines were laying on the seabed in from of the nacelles - now it looks more like ring cowling laying there with engines still attached to firewalls.  Hard to say.  I don't see evidence of props.  Kind of makes me wonder if we're seeing the aftermath of some limited salvage effort for some reason.  That, damage, or maybe I'm just seeing odd things that suggest what I've described - tricks of shadow, refraction and sea growth.

May be an interesting visual exercise for field searchers.

LTM -
I was watching a movie a few days ago in the TV named "Jaws: The Revenge" which is as you would expect except they actually ditch a Cessna 310 in the ocean. It was obviously an early model (four place, torpedo tip tanks.) It was obviously filmed in very smooth water, by the color of the water is was also shallow, probably not far from shore with the wind blowing from the land so there were virtually no waves. The pilot, played by Michael Caine, touches the tail first then the prop tips start throwing up spray then he feathers the left prop. After it comes to a rest we can see the blades on the right prop showing typical damage signatures. You can also see wrinkles in the skin behind the cabin on the right side. Pretty cool.

gl

Richard C Cooke

• T1
Re: Cessna 310; Sky King
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 12:23:12 PM »

Here is what the Cessna looks like today  :)

You can dive on it at Stuart Cove in the Bahamas.

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 03:26:30 PM »

I guess that fourth picture gives us yet another theory about what happened to the lost pair.  A giant shark ate them!  As an aside, it's a little sad they sacrificed a flyable airplane to make a movie that bad!  Thanks for posting those, Gary!

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 07:08:02 PM »

I guess that fourth picture gives us yet another theory about what happened to the lost pair.  A giant shark ate them!  As an aside, it's a little sad they sacrificed a flyable airplane to make a movie that bad!  Thanks for posting those, Gary!
I feel the same way even though it was an old early model of this fine plane. I got my multi rating in a C-310 and I used to instruct in them.

gl

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 01:48:53 PM »

Sky King's   "Song Bird". 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 05:56:36 PM »

"Gee, Uncle Sky."

I was always suspicious of Sky's relationship with his "niece" Penny. I bought a DVD of some of the Sly King shows and I now realize that I was wrong, Penny wasn't that hot.

gl
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:19:29 AM by Gary LaPook »

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 03:20:48 AM »

"Gee, Uncle Sky."

I was always suspicious of Sky's relationship with his "niece" Penny. I bought a DVD of some of the Sly King shows and I now realize that I was wrong, Penny wasn't that hot.

gl
See photos added to previous post. You'll notice that the third photo looks kinda funny for a 310. That's because it's not, its a Bamboo Bomber which is the plane Sky King flew in the beginning of the series.

gl
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:57:20 AM by Gary LaPook »

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 06:48:33 AM »

Many years ago my uncle and friends wrecked their Bobcat trying to take off on a hot afternoon from the airport at Lake Tahoe.  What a shame.  It was a pretty cool miniature airliner.  Now days he has a company pilot for his Citation, but still flies right seat occasionally.  To the best of my knowledge, this has nothing to do with any parts the villagers had, other than being yet another example of a twin engine aircraft wreck that could have been avoided - can you say "Density Altitude"?
Cheers,
JohnO

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 02:01:46 PM »

That's right Gary.  That Bamboo Bomber was an ugly plane..certainly by comparison to that 310!! 
We are really showing our age now...better drop this! 
TIGHAR Member #4154

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 02:02:14 PM »

"Gee, Uncle Sky."

gl

No, but the "Song Bird" was.  :)  Beautiful airplane!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »

No, but the "Song Bird" was.  :)  Beautiful airplane!

We've found an Amelia connection.

Sky King's Bamboo Bomber, predecessor to the Songbird, was owned and operated by Paul Mantz's company.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org