Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Norwich City  (Read 88263 times)

Ricker H Jones

• TIGHAR member
Re: Norwich City
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2012, 05:07:17 PM »

One of the best descriptions of the how the fire damaged the NC is found in Captain Tichendorf's dispatches from the Lincoln Ellsworth and give an idea of which areas were most affected by the fire.
"I have never seen     such a complete wreck. The fire was still burning when I arrived. The deckhouses had been gutted, the bridge had collapsed, and the deck amidship and forward of the bridge had fallen in."

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2013, 07:25:49 PM »

On the website of Reardon Smith Ships (which owned and operated SS Norwich City at the time she ran afoul of Gardner Island) is a grainy photo which seems to have been taken not long after the wreck occurred in late 1929. I can't recall having seen this particular photo before.

Her stern looks in better shape than in photos taken in the late 1930s. The ship's sides just below the bow gunwales are painted white (as seen in the Kiwi photo taken 10 years later), but the distance and photo quality don't show any evidence of a name written there.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »

On the website of Reardon Smith Ships (which owned and operated SS Norwich City at the time she ran afoul of Gardner Island) is a grainy photo which seems to have been taken not long after the wreck occurred in late 1929. I can't recall having seen this particular photo before.

Nice find. It looks like it is still smoking from the fire!
3971R

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »

Richie the NC picture you posted was referenced by Bruce here.
I would say it was taken by one of the rescue ships. The NC is still smoking
3971R

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org