Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos of Amelia Earhart  (Read 23619 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Photos of Amelia Earhart
« on: December 16, 2011, 06:02:05 AM »

thought i would post these photo's of amelia  :)

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Photos of Amelia Earhart
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:16:38 AM »

http://radiomarine.org/gallery/show?keyword=MAU&panel=pab1_11

wonder if any of these are connected to amelia's flight

Member# 416

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 02:59:57 PM »

Cool pictures.

I found an interesting one the other day. I was looking at a zoomed in image of a map that Earhart and Noonan were posing with. I was trying to see if there was any interesting writing on the  map. A couple of words were there above and below the Lae to Howland route. If I could only read it... Then it came in to focus. It says "HARD PART". That was a bit of an understatement don't you think?

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »

u should be able to save this in jpeg an adjust contrast to see iff there is any other letters

Member# 416

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »

There is something written in the same fashion from Howland to Hawaii but I have not been able to read it yet.

.bmp is stored un-compressed like .tiff and is usually better than formats that add compression like  .jpeg.

The key is good viewing software like Adobe Photoshop.

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 07:41:33 PM »

The thing to look for is the "X" that marks the spot (where they landed). :D
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »

Ok, I think that I have been able to read the writing on the line from Howland to Hawaii.

I think it says :1953. I am not sure what the : could mean. With higher resolution images this would be much easier to do.

Google Earth reports a distance of 1876 miles from Howland to Honolulu, the difference would be 77 miles.

According to this, Honolulu was the final destination:

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/MapsandPhotos/maps/worldflight.html

Interestingly, the most Eastern airport on the big Island is at Hilo, 1935 miles from Howland to the mile. This airport existed from 1927 onward and underwent an expansion from 1937 for the next five years.

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »

Ok, if the numbers on this image are "2291" I am convinced that at least this course was from Hilo to Oakland, which is 2292 miles according to Google Earth.

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »

Ok, Googling for Earhart and Hilo...

"And though you may not be able to visit Earhart's final resting place, the banyan tree that she planted in Hilo on Jan. 6, 1935, now towering above Banyan Drive,  is marked with a plaque. On O'ahu, a roadside lookout on Diamond Head Road in Kuilei Cliffs Beach Park  also has a plaque commemorating Earhart, in honor of that first solo flight from Hawai'i to the Mainland. It's a fitting place to stop, gaze out to sea and remember the courage of the woman who crossed it alone."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/07/23/alohafriday072310.DTL

Seriously?

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 05:56:27 AM »

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 06:04:30 AM »

Member# 416

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 10:09:21 AM »

Ok, if the numbers on this image are "2291" I am convinced that at least this course was from Hilo to Oakland, which is 2292 miles according to Google Earth.
Does the name Percival Lowell ring a bell? :D
I agree with you that it appears that they were planning on Hilo. That gray blob in the middle of the chart covers the Hawaiian island chain and the course line goes to the eastern end, to the "Big Island," to Hilo.
gl

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 10:10:45 AM »

Ok, Googling for Earhart and Hilo...

"And though you may not be able to visit Earhart's final resting place, the banyan tree that she planted in Hilo on Jan. 6, 1935, now towering above Banyan Drive,  is marked with a plaque. On O'ahu, a roadside lookout on Diamond Head Road in Kuilei Cliffs Beach Park  also has a plaque commemorating Earhart, in honor of that first solo flight from Hawai'i to the Mainland. It's a fitting place to stop, gaze out to sea and remember the courage of the woman who crossed it alone."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/07/23/alohafriday072310.DTL

Seriously?
Well, she did fly solo from Hawaii to California in her Vega.

gl

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 01:31:16 PM »

According to this, Honolulu was the final destination:

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/MapsandPhotos/maps/worldflight.html

According to that map, and as we know from other sources, the final destination was Oakland.

This timeline shows the actual and planned distances of the legs of the journey.  It has the Howland to Honolulu leg at 1900 miles--close enough to 1953, I'd say.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 01:57:11 PM »

Does the name Percival Lowell ring a bell?

Perhaps you are right and I am seeing things but the nice thing is that this high resolution photo does exist and I think there is enough detail there to actually read it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org