Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Last Takeoff Footage.  (Read 129989 times)

Gary LaPook

• T5
Re: The Last Takeoff Footage.
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2011, 06:20:49 PM »

All in all, Rabaul would have provided a much safer departure point.

See attached files.

gl
See additional attached files. The old Rabaul airport was 5,600 feet long and was destroyed by the volcano in 1994. The Tokua airport is 5,500 feet long and was paved in 1928, and is 13 SM southeast of the Old Rabaul Airport.

gl

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2011, 06:30:44 PM »

All in all, Rabaul would have provided a much safer departure point.

See attached files.

gl
See additional attached files. The old Rabaul airport was 5,600 feet long and was destroyed by the volcano in 1994. The Tokua airport is 5,500 feet long and was paved in 1928, and is 13 SM southeast of the Old Rabaul Airport.

gl
Attached are Google Earth files that will take you to these airports in Google Earth. The best picture of the Old Rabaul Airport in from 2006 so select "historical imagery" in the "view" menu of Google Earth.
gl

gl
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:33:42 PM by Gary LaPook »

Cynthia M Kennedy

• T1
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »

I have no background in aviation, but I can't stay away from this forum for more than a day or so or I have withdrawal symptoms.  As an educator, I really appreciate TIGHAR's attention to the principles of research.

Cindy
TIGHAR #3167

Is that why I find this forum so intriguing?  I enjoy every post I read here as I am continually learning. For instance your point that those 1936 photos were just you presenting the facts not your position. I get your point. It really is about HOW to think.  I like to tackle problems from non traditional angles. Case in point is my post on "Could the Electra have taken off from Gardner"?  I believe the TIGHAR hypothesis is true but sometimes I like to see how others reply to different ideas to see how they think.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org