Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amelia in Oakland  (Read 8040 times)

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
Amelia in Oakland
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »

I have a sister who lives in Oakland, Ca. whom I sometimes visit.  Didn't Amelia Earhart live in Oakland?  Is there any place of interest to visit while in Oakland?  Is her house still standing?  Also, is the modern Oakland Airport the same runway where she would have taken off for her world flight?

Thanks.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Amelia in Oakland
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:58:07 AM »

Earhart lived in North Hollywood.  Noonan's second wife, Mary Bea, lived in Oakland and had a beauty parlor in her home. Noonan may have lived there with her briefly.  I believe one of the hangars at the Oakland Airport dates from the 1930s.  I don't know whether the layout of the runways has changed over the years.

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:59:02 AM »

The present Oakland International Airport is not the "Old Airport", but the Old Airport is still there and open to the public.  Many displays and an area devoted to AE.  Definitely worth a visit.  It is in the same general area as the International Airport.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 01:02:10 PM »

Harry, that is very useful information.  I will definitely have to check it out on my next visit.  Thanks!

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »

Nancy
The proper reference to the "Old Airport" at Oakland is North Field.  Very interesting displays and things like clothing worn by the early fliers etc, newspaper articles about AE's disappearance etc.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 01:39:26 PM »

Thanks, Harry.  I was having trouble finding it until you told me that.  I see that North Field is where the General Aviation/FBO is located.  It looks like it's right next door to the pickup for Hertz rental car--so convenient!  In fact, what prompted my original question is that when I went to return my rental car, I saw the address was "Earhart Road".  I will definitely have to stop by on my next trip out there.

Speaking of roads at airports named after famous people, I once got lost in the vicinity of LAX, but was able to get my bearing when I found "Bellanca Avenue".  I had noted the location because I used to be friends with one of the Bellancas!  Nothing like knowing somebody, and then running into a street named after them.  :-)  Actually, it was his dad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org