Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: BBC Broadcast Amelia Earhart  (Read 52244 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: BBC Broadcast Amelia Earhart
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 08:12:54 AM »

Hence : a "deep water" investigation would deliver the "final solution" , the complication being that Nikumaroro is surrounded by shallow waters only . @ the northwestern shores the depth reaches 26 m only @ 0.4 nm , 740 m off the shoreline @ zero m . From this frontier the inclination increases , to reach the - 400 m level @ 1 nm , 1,800 m off coast . From the depth of 26 m the  - 100 m   level is first reached . This situation is similar for the entire island´s perimeter . If the AE/FN aircraft landed here on firm ground or on the beaches , it would be there until today´s day like the remnants of Norwich City , or , if drifted seawards , it can be easily located by plain diving from a small vessel , no intricacies needed .

Mr. Van Asten, we have been to the island.  We have surveyed the underwater environment with divers, with remote operated vehicles, and with sonar.  We have published the results.  Your characterization of the underwater environment, presented not as speculation but as fact (but without citing any source), is false. 

Your repeated willingness to promulgate your demonstrably flawed opinions as fact is unethical, at odds with sound scientific practice, and violates the standards for participation in this forum.  Henceforth, I will monitor your submissions to this forum and ask Marty to do the same.  Opinions and observations that are supported by facts will be posted as always whether or not they agree with TIGHAR's hypothesis.  Those that do not will be removed.

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 09:40:16 AM »

My information is from Google - Ocean which gives all depths etc. w.r.t sea level .

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2011, 09:43:40 AM »

My information is from Google - Ocean giving all depths etc. in figures w.r.t. sea level , distances given by the difference of coordinates .

Mona Kendrick

• T2
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 11:30:39 AM »

Not a direct question of gender I suppose , but a question of other fields of interest . The 95% is from publisher´s statistics .

"Other fields of interest"?  Since you're mathematically conversant, I'm confident you can spot the fallacy in the following logic:

(a) 95% of the readers of romantic literature are women.
     (b) Therefore, 95% of women read romantic literature.

From the World English Dictionary:
        Stereotype: A set of inaccurate, simplistic generalizations about a group that allows others to categorize them and treat them accordingly.

Mona

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »

My information is from Google - Ocean which gives all depths etc. w.r.t sea level .
And if you position your cursor anywhere inside Nikumaroro's lagoon, you'll see that Google Earth shows that the lagoon is zero meters deep!

The overlay for Nikumaroro that's on Google Earth was created from imagery dated in 2007, considerably before Google was updated with data about ocean depths.  That overlay lacks any ocean-depth information.  That's why out to 600-800 meters west of the shoreline, Google Earth reports an ocean depth of zero meters, too. 

To use Google Earth and its recent addition of ocean-depth data as "proof" of the actual ocean depth for points within 1,000 meters of that island's shoreline is as fatuous as:

LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 12:42:03 PM »

Several biographies , books & articles I have read mention the non relevancy of post loss messages , or such messages are not quoted at all.

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2011, 12:47:57 PM »

Google Ocean gives the reefs width as +/- 0.8 nm , not 250 m for the -400 m level . Another forum submission however , says that the Google images presently shown are not updated to the actual situation . 

Thom Boughton

• T2
  • Infinite Rider on The Big Dogma
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »

My information is from Google - Ocean giving all depths etc. in figures w.r.t. sea level , distances given by the difference of coordinates .

Yes...well...I'm sure we can all pack up and make turns for home then.  After all, the Internet is indeed the last word on all knowledge ...technical or otherwise.

Low cost fund needed : Nikumaroro has no deep waters in the perimeter , there are no cliffs or reefs by which A/c could be toppled over , waters shallow until 0.5 nm from coast line , only civilian divers from small vessel needed .

As the cost would be low, and presumably therefore inconsequential, I'm sure you will not mind if we sign you up for a donation in favour of the next expedition.  After all, you DO once and for all want to help to prove this wacky notion of ours wrong, don't you?

LTM,

....TB

( postscript - Google also states that Trolls come from Norway.  )
TIGHAR #3159R

Mona Kendrick

• T2
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »

Yes , a sparrow is a bird , so all birds are sparrows : called women´s logic , sry you will certainly be not amused .

I trust that my point about stereotyping has been made, even though you may not be in a position to acknowledge it right now.

In fairness to Mr. van Asten, it's possible that he might not have become so defensive if his initial posts about navigation had been answered without any recourse to insult.

Mona

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 06:01:16 PM »

Several biographies , books & articles I have read mention the non relevancy of post loss messages , or such messages are not quoted at all.

That's right, the post-loss messages have been the elephant in the room that has either been dismissed off-hand or not mentioned at all.

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »

Yes , a sparrow is a bird , so all birds are sparrows : called women´s logic , sry you will certainly be not amused .

I trust that my point about stereotyping has been made, even though you may not be in a position to acknowledge it right now.

In fairness to Mr. van Asten, it's possible that he might not have become so defensive if his initial posts about navigation had been answered without any recourse to insult.

Mona
I was actually impressed with how polite everyone tried to be, even though Mr. van Asten has tried to portray himself as an expert and then shown himself to be anything but.  Perhaps now everyone can get back to intelligent (and polite!) discussion.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:34:28 PM by Dale O. Beethe »

Mona Kendrick

• T2
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »

Perhaps now everyone can get back to intelligent (and polite!) discussion.

Let's hope so.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:17:43 PM by Mona Kendrick »

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 12:56:42 AM »

mr.van Asten (me) has not portrayed anything , an independent point of view possibly giving new vistas on the subject excepted . Opponents got the more and more angry when seeing that their attempts to grind down were inherently unsuccesful .

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 01:04:24 AM »

No . I don´t want to prove anything being wrong , things that are good go over the world by themselves , why would I interfere ?

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 01:09:08 AM »

No , you made your point , no problem . I do not remember to have been "defensive" as you suggest , either no problem btw .
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org