Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picture of Glass Bottle  (Read 16907 times)

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
Picture of Glass Bottle
« on: August 05, 2011, 07:35:49 AM »

I am not sure it is anything or not but I noticed on the Predue site this picture or Amelia with what seems to be a Glass bottle in hand.

I know it is a stretch but doesn't it seem to have some angles on it that it could be (or once was part of) this artifact found on Niku?

"Hang Tough"
Rich

Don Dollinger

• T3
Re: Picture of Glass Bottle
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »

At first I thought that it was the label but then realized that it has something completely surrounding the lower portion of the bottle.  It looks like it is encased in one of those wicker holders sort of like you see on wine bottles.  Being that it is not the size of a liter bottle or larger it may be some type of perfume in a decorative encasement as it looks like a stoppered style bottle.

As a lad I used to dig old bottles out of old dumps around were I grew up and bottles of that size and shape (square) were simply called Household Bottles.  That size and shape seemed to be the most common and 3 out of 4 bottles found would be of that style (in either clear or brown and sometimes blue glass) but as I remember most of them would be corked.  Bottles with glass stoppers usually contained either higher end snake oils (like marvel mystery elixyers and wonder drugs) or perfumes.

LTM,

Don

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 09:53:47 AM »

I know it is a stretch but doesn't it seem to have some angles on it that it could be (or once was part of) this artifact found on Niku?

I believe that photo is of 2-6-S-21, which is hexagaonal rather than rectangular.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 10:58:36 AM »

I am speaking about the bottle in Amelia's hand in the photo...

LTM,

Don

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »

Where was the photo taken? First or second attempt?

I ask as this could provide a source for the bottle (no pun intended), it could be a gift or something hence its in her hand and not in any lugagge!

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 01:11:56 PM »

Looks like a beer bottle to me.
The artifact looks like a speciality bottle, perfume, deodorent, etc.  My grandfather and father both worked as "Stopper Grinders" in the glass industry before screw caps came around.  Perfume and acid bottles were the last items to have glass stoppers ground into the necks oif each bottle(Some still do).

Before College, I followed them into the industry as a bottle/mold design draftsman in the 50's and we had samples of every bottle  ever made by the company (Kimble Glass Division of the Owens0Illinois Glass Co).  Someone in that company might be able to definitely identify the artifact.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »

Info found on Photo is

Amelia Earhart with two unidentified men, loading items onto her plane, (Miami, Florida?), ca. 1937

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/earhart&CISOPTR=279&CISOBOX=1&REC=18

Again, it might mean nothing. I just thought of the glass found on Niku as soon as I saw the photo. To me it looks like it could be from this bottle.

"Hang Tough"
Rich

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 02:56:55 PM »

Info found on Photo is

Amelia Earhart with two unidentified men, loading items onto her plane, (Miami, Florida?), ca. 1937

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/earhart&CISOPTR=279&CISOBOX=1&REC=18

Again, it might mean nothing. I just thought of the glass found on Niku as soon as I saw the photo. To me it looks like it could be from this bottle.

Thanks!

Bottle looks flat ish like a small spirits bottle to me, with some kind of cover like you get on wine bottles.

A fan's leaving present?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:58:41 PM by Chris Johnson »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 02:27:07 PM »

The photo was taken prior to the first attempt.  We had a big discussion about the bottle a few years ago and, as I recall, determined that it's a medication for soothing tired eyes.  Can't recall the name. Corylium or something like that.

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 06:34:29 PM »

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »

Few years ago?  Well I'm catching up. couldn't helpposting to be sure.  Thanks fkr the information Ric and Karen.
"Hang Tough"
Rich

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org