Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Any other possible landing sites on Niku?  (Read 47882 times)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
Re: Any other possible landing sites on Niku?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 02:23:56 PM »

The last thing I see FN saying in Betty's notes was "I can't make it" followed by some things by AE and then an opinion of Betty's that he (FN) was out  ...
What led Betty to come to that conclusion?
We'll never know unless/until the plane is found and/pr the bones are found and analyzed.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 02:39:37 PM »

The last thing I see FN saying in Betty's notes was "I can't make it" followed by some things by AE and then an opinion of Betty's that he (FN) was out  ...
What led Betty to come to that conclusion?
We'll never know unless/until the plane is found and/pr the bones are found and analyzed.

are you here He had got out and she was getting ready to go too
3 lines later but who knows :)

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2011, 12:45:46 AM »

In "Betty´s Notes" the figure "3" appears repeatedly . Did you know that fraudulent accountants are by controllers caught , by dividing their concoction sums by the figure 9 and see if the outcome is even , or odd ?  Frauds possess the tendency to use a same figure to fill up their omissions .

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 01:33:22 AM »

In "Betty´s Notes" the figure "3" appears repeatedly . Did you know that fraudulent accountants are by controllers caught , by dividing their concoction sums by the figure 9 and see if the outcome is even , or odd ?  Frauds possess the tendency to use a same figure to fill up their omissions .

And your point is?

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011, 05:26:59 AM »

Refresh my memory:--Ric and Co. have found artifacts believed to be from Amelia, but other than the sextant box, have they found anything attributed to Fred? If not, maybe the theory that he did NOT make it out of the plane-as in his injuries rendered him incompacitated--are now factual, and he was left in the Electra. Somewhat as a crude burial at sea. Not to be morbid, but here again, I believe finding the Electra -or parts of it-- shines a new light on this adventure.
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2011, 05:32:41 AM »

Refresh my memory:--Ric and Co. have found artifacts believed to be from Amelia, but other than the sextant box, have they found anything attributed to Fred? If not, maybe the theory that he did NOT make it out of the plane-as in his injuries rendered him incompacitated--are now factual, and he was left in the Electra. Somewhat as a crude burial at sea. Not to be morbid, but here again, I believe finding the Electra -or parts of it-- shines a new light on this adventure.

Or Fred came ashore and perished elsewhere, even after AE and left her body at the seven site but I feel we will agree to disagree for the time being though you make a very good point regards artefacts.

But maybe all he needed was a box, inverting eye piece, his shoes, a pocket knife and a swig of Benedictine now and again :)

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2011, 11:05:08 AM »

And your point is?

Maybe its just me, but I can't make heads nor tails out of what the statement itself is supposed to be saying...

LTM,

Don

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2011, 12:00:21 PM »

We'll, I for one wasnt implying that anyone said anything. I started this thread after reseacrching Ric's landing theory, which, by the way, is excellant. I tried to put myself in their position at the end of the flight, as to what I would do, or not do. I think we all believe that the Electra is submerged just off the reef. If found, that would answer and enormous amount of questions, while opening up an enormous amount of others.
It was not my intent to start any infighting amongst the members; all of you which I have alot of respect for.  My intent was to stimulate some thinking by those of you that are ALOT smarter than I am about these things. We can all play Monday morning quarterback, and second guess why things were, or weren't done. Quite contrary to my intent.
Ric and TIGHAR have put a tremendous amount of effort into solving this mystery. As I recall, this effort started with a theory. It may not end with the solution that we think, but the amount of evidence, and research will be the template for other generations to come. TOGETHER, we can ALL contibute to the cause, in our own way. Financial, theoretical, technical, however we can, we have all made this forum, and the search for Amelia better.
From a personal note----as a young boy, I can remember reading about her in a book by a certain CBS news reporter in the mid 60's. I can recall talking with my parents about the goings on in 1937 at the time frame around the disapperance. The search that took place, vs. the one that didnt, etc. It wasnt until a few years ago that Ric and TIGHAR perked my interest in Amelia again. This story has passed through a couple of generations now, and hopefully we will have the entire true story of what happened on that morning in July, 1937. Its a story that I hope to be able to pass on to my grandkids. It isn't necessarily about the answer to a 74 year old mystery. It's about setting a goal and working towards a conclusion. Ric and TIGHAR have reaffimed that.

So, If I've offended anyone with my crazy ideas about finding the Electra, or parts of it, I appologise. For me, its a means to an end. Thank you Ric!
Tom Swearengen

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2011, 12:07:06 PM »

And your point is?

Maybe its just me, but I can't make heads nor tails out of what the statement itself is supposed to be saying...

LTM,

Don
The simple check on whether books have been "cooked" that Mr. van Asten describes has a more robust numerical investigative companion that's used to discern the presence of made-up numbers.  This more sophisticated method is called Benford's Law.  (Don't click on the link if anything involving logarithms makes you queasy.  ;) )
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2011, 01:05:42 PM »

No ones offended me, I enjoy the debate and exchange of views.  Re 'your point is' I was after validation of Mr Van Astens statement which Bruce has provided.

Bruce! Thanks for the warning I WILL NOT be following that link ;)

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »

This more sophisticated method is called Benford's Law.  (Don't click on the link if anything involving logarithms makes you queasy.)

Thanx.  Now I remember why I am not a math major.  Should of followed your advice as I am now quite queasy! ???

LTM,

Don

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2011, 05:56:38 PM »

I've re-reading alot of the documents that Tighar has available for us. I have to admit that the western reef flat would make a good landing site. Ive tried to find the photos from the ROV's used on the expeditions, and havent found them. I do remember something about seeing a cable , or a leader hung on the reef. I also remember that a side scan sonar was lost on one of the early expeditions in the general area. Have those pictures been posted? I understand that the depth isnt anywhere close to the bottom, where we presume the Electra is. Can I assume the the ocean bottom near the reef slope is sandy and flat, or do we think it is rough and jagged---like the reef? Seeing the ROV pictures probably wont prove anything other than its a reef, but interesting anyway.

Ric-----sincerely--I think you have the answers. Maybe by my crazy thoughts and assumptions, we can stumble on the pieces of the Electra on the bottom.
Tom

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 08:38:46 AM »

Something else puzzles me---Betty writes that she heard AE's voice and something like 'Norwich City". I'm wonder why other radios in the pacific alot closer didnt hear anything. Canton Island, Naru, the Itasca, the Japaneese, anyone. Granted, they would have to know the frequency she was using----but with the flight being so well publicised, I would think that alot of people would have been listening for anything. We know the Coast Guard in San Francisco and Hawaii were, and I suspect some ships, and maybe even Pan Am were also.
Someone tell me I'm crazy!

You're not crazy.  You just need to read my book.  Other people were listening and and other people did hear her.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 08:44:20 AM »

... You just need to read my book.  Other people were listening and and other people did hear her.

Ric's book, of course, is Finding Amelia.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Brad Beeching

• T3
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2011, 12:52:09 PM »

I was wondering if there are plans to search around in other parts of the island with an ROV if the Electra isnt where we expect to find it? I know its a long way around the whole island but I assume that alternate sites would be in any future search plan wouldn't it?

Brad
Brad

#4327R

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org