Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Return to Canton (Kanton)  (Read 11135 times)

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
Return to Canton (Kanton)
« on: July 29, 2011, 09:50:31 AM »

I was reading through the site and the last report I could find on Kanton was the results of the flight there in Feb. of 1998. While it was not as fruitful as you would of wanted it to be has there been any head way in returning to search the dump site for the engine that was found? 

RE: This article
"Hang Tough"
Rich

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:08:54 AM by Bruce Thomas »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Return to Canton (Kanton)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:01:18 AM »

.... has there been any head way in returning to search the dump site for the engine that was found? 

No.  We were able to determine that the story about the engine being recovered from Gardner was "mis-remembered."  The engine was from a WWII wreck right there on Canton.  The perils of anecdotal recollection.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »

I was reading through the site and the last report I could find on Kanton was the results of the flight there in Feb. of 1998. While it was not as fruitful as you would of wanted it to be has there been any head way in returning to search the dump site for the engine that was found? 

RE: This article
Rich,

The "link" in your message was flawed.  I'm not sure which article you meant to reference, so I've modified your link to point to the basic entry in the Ameliapedia, and from that there are links aplenty at its bottom.  They're bound to get you and anyone else to the information you meant to link to.

There's a little tutorial about how to correctly insert links into your messages on this Forum.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/03_Cantonengine.html

This link, worked in preview. :)

Ric.  That is disappointing but thanks for the quick reply.
"Hang Tough"
Rich

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 09:44:46 AM »

The whole "Canton Engine Saga" brings into sharp focus one of the hazards of being involved in a project of this nature - when someone/something famous is involved, one of the natural human tendencies is to want to be helpful/involved/part of it/ etc.

Which can lead to some of the truly bizarre "recollections" that TIGHAR has had foisted upon it over the years. The Canton engine was not one of those. It was something that seemed, on the face of it, to be worth checking out. It was only much, much later that documentation was located that enabled TIGHAR to put Bruce Yoho's recollections in their proper perspectives.
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »

The whole "Canton Engine Saga" brings into sharp focus one of the hazards of being involved in a project of this nature - when someone/something famous is involved, one of the natural human tendencies is to want to be helpful/involved/part of it/ etc.

Based on some experiences with this phenomenon during Bones II in 2003, I called it Helpful Witness Syndrome.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 08:28:11 AM »

HWS, love it!   ;D

While it can be a pain to week them out, at least you are not above the whole "We will not look because we know you are wrong".
"Hang Tough"
Rich

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org