Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bud Wolfe's Spitfire in Co Donegal  (Read 17240 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Bud Wolfe's Spitfire in Co Donegal
« on: June 28, 2011, 02:46:39 PM »

Search for downed spitfire in republic of ireland. Interesting article BBC News

Chris Austin

• T2
Re: Bud Wolfe's Spitfire in Co Donegal
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 08:23:55 AM »

Well found Chris!
I had no idea that an internment policy existed with the ROI, although I suppose it is obvious when you think about the ROI being neutral; after all internment was the rule with other neutral countries.
Did you read the comments below the story, picky-picky ;D

Chris Austin

• T2
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:11:07 AM »

I'm all in favour, the Hurrican was by far the better fighter but didn't have the glamour of the Spitfire.

That has all the makings of another multi-page argument! ;D
It is certainly something that luckily we never had to find out for real, having both types available.
The Hurricane was certainly a better gun platform, could absorb much more damage, was quicker to repair, was (by accounts) easier to fly as a newbie and probably had many other fine properties. It was also at the limit of its performance development as a dog-fighter and would have been outclassed by any Luftwaffe development, with the Typhoon not an initial success when it became available.
If we had only had Spitfires, I doubt that the kill rate would have changed much, but I believe that we would have had serious problems with getting even lightly damaged machines back into action in time.
As I said earlier, thank God we had both when we needed them.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:01:35 AM »

Update on BBC Website Irish Army Ordenance Officer suggests firing one of the guns and due to the preservation of them in the peat bog after a little work one does actualy fire!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org