Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Earth Coordinates / .kmz files for the Earhart Project  (Read 80378 times)

Erik

• T3
Re: Google Earth Coordinates / .kmz files for the Earhart Project
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2012, 07:53:54 AM »

How are POD (Probalities of Detection) determined?  Were tests performed using large sample sets, or by real-world stories?

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2012, 03:45:42 PM »

How are POD (Probalities of Detection) determined?  Were tests performed using large sample sets, or by real-world stories?
I have no idea, you will have to ask the professionals who were charged with the responsibility for drafting this manual, that is relied upon by the Coast Guard, the Navy, the Air Force, the Army and the Civil Air Patrol. I'm sure they didn't just make up the numbers so unless you have something more authoritative, I'll just trust this manual.
gl

Erik

• T3
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2012, 06:59:29 PM »

Heath & Erik,

In Reply #31 of this thread, the graphic you show depicting the Nauticos search area is actually the search area from the Waitt search.
Thanks Jeff.  I didn't know that.  The website made it appear as though Waitt and Nauticos were perhaps a joint venture.  Your explanation clears it up.

Only Waitt has made public any of its data, including the area searched.  Nauticos has not made is data public and presumably will not do so unless and until it finds the Electra.
Ha..ha... maybe they secretly searched Niku? :)

The waters around Howland Island approach 18,000 feet deep.  In the deep-ocean search business, 20,000 feet -- which is approximately 6000 m -- is called "full-ocean depth".  Twenty-thousand feet to the deepest point in the oceans (approximately 36,000 feet at the bottom of the Marianas Trench) is called "ultimate ocean depth".  For comparison, the TITANIC lies at about 12,000 feet deep.
Puts a whole new meaning to 20,000 leagues under the sea!  By the way, what ever happened to that term?  ")

PS = Still working on the visibility 'heat map'.  Stay tuned...

Erik

• T3
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2012, 07:03:37 PM »

I have no idea, you will have to ask the professionals who were charged with the responsibility for drafting this manual, that is relied upon by the Coast Guard, the Navy, the Air Force, the Army and the Civil Air Patrol. I'm sure they didn't just make up the numbers so unless you have something more authoritative, I'll just trust this manual.
gl

Like Marty says...  Using these POD variables YMMV.  Caveat Emptor.

Erik

• T3
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2012, 07:12:03 PM »

The deep-water oil and natural gas industry drives the demand for AUV's.  So far this industry has had no need to operate much below 12,000 or 15,000 feet.  This is why there are so few full-ocean depth AUV's available in the commercial world.

Any clue to what the large 'swaths' are that Heath and I were talking about?  See the second image in post #31

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2012, 07:21:15 PM »

Quote from: Erik
Like Marty says...  Using these POD variables YMMV.  Caveat Emptor.
Only if you are purposefully trying to avoid the inconvenient truth that these tables tend to disprove the Niku hypothesis.

gl
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:00:39 PM by Gary LaPook »

Jeff Palshook

• T2
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2012, 04:13:26 AM »

Heath & Erik,

No, sorry, I don't have any good idea what the swaths you indicated in the previous post might be.  My guess would be they indicate the locations of bathymetry swaths.  Surveyed by whom, and for what purpose, I have no idea.

Twenty thousand leagues under the sea (from the Jules Verne novel of the same name) ... A league is the old seafaring term distance.  One league equals about three (nautical?) miles.  In Jules Verne's novel, 20,000 leagues referred to the total distance Captain Nemo's submarine "Nautilus" had sailed underwater.  It did not refer to a depth under the sea surface.

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2012, 12:37:39 PM »

Today I was playing with the photo of the Norwich City in Google Earth, importing the image as an overlay. With a bit of work you can get a fairly close perspective of where the photo was taken although it does take some practice (still working on that).

Once you place the photo as best that you can you then perform a snapshot to view. This locks in the coordinates, altitude, and viewing angle. An interesting feature of the image overlay is that you can then pull up the properties for the image and play with the opacity control. This allows you to see things where they used to be (like the Norwich City in this example) and what it looks like today.

What would be interesting is to gather up these old photos around Gardner and Howland and put them in a single Google Earth .kmz file and perhaps create a guided tour of the photos. While this would a lot of work for any individual perhaps several people could help with the effort.

Attached is an example .kmz file.

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »

This turns out to a be a difficult problem. After working on a different photo for sometime I give up.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »

This turns out to a be a difficult problem. After working on a different photo for sometime I give up.

I've moved your post into this thread, where you can see some of the kinds of work others have done with Google Earth.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org