Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Earth Coordinates / .kmz files for the Earhart Project  (Read 80320 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Google Earth Coordinates / .kmz files for the Earhart Project
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 06:03:51 PM »

Marty, how to post large files?  Can you put this KMZ on TIGHAR's Ameliapedia?

I've raised the limit on attachments for now.

If people act responsibly, we should be OK.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Erik

• T3
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 06:16:48 PM »

Attached is KMZ file of Colorado search including flight paths of scout planes.  Points are ship's track positions, lines are the plane's flight paths.  Popup balloons of the ship's points include time and course.  The "L" is the aircraft launch point, and the "R" is the recovery point.

See attachment at bottom of this post.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:23:54 PM by Erik »

Erik

• T3
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 06:27:50 PM »

Marty, how to post large files?  Can you put this KMZ on TIGHAR's Ameliapedia?

I've raised the limit on attachments for now.

If people act responsibly, we should be OK.

Sweet!  Thanks.  Here it is again.  This is the Loran station.  See attachment below....

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 03:27:25 AM »

1. In flight position 159-07-E ; 04-33.5-S was transmitted from aboard A/c @ 0720 GMT , based on sunset fix @ 071930 GMT , see recomputation EJN-2011 , not my math but mr.Noonan´s precalculation by H.O.no.208 .
2. mr.Putnam expected A/c NW of Howland , possibly since he heard of a northward offset landfall operation was in flight plan however , there have been "clairvoyants´"  predictions in the play. Also , Putnam may have been supported by the commander of Itasca , who thought A/c to be NW since from there the distance to the 157 LOP was shortest. In 3rd instance Ameia reported 0843 (Navy) LZT "..flying north and south.."

Except for the fact that the position report was received in Lae at 0718 GMT, one and a half minutes prior to 0719:30 GMT, the time of the observation that Mr. van Asten claims was used to provide the position so Mr. van Asten's theory is obviously incorrect. Most likely Noonan just looked out the window and saw the island of Nukumanu located near the stated coordinates at some time prior to 0718 GMT.

gl

0718 GMT had nothing to do with appointments of Earhart , it conserned time points @ which weather updates to A/c would be sent from Lae airport by Balfour : 18 min past hour. In the Chater report this time indication is repeated several times (0418 , 0718 , 0918) . How , btw , would Noonan see 27 mls ahead to Nukumanu ? What other body than the sun was in sight before 071930 GMT ? EJN-2011 shows exactly how the sunset fix was established , by H.O.208 & facultative other available algorithms . If I got a new theory before me , I would first try to study it an possibly find a better one , before continuously advertising that the theory is wrong .

Excse , it concerns

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 07:27:12 AM »

Attached is KMZ file of Colorado search including flight paths of scout planes.  Points are ship's track positions, lines are the plane's flight paths.  Popup balloons of the ship's points include time and course.  The "L" is the aircraft launch point, and the "R" is the recovery point.

Beautiful!  That really tells the story.  You do nice work!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ricker H Jones

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 08:15:43 AM »

Very impressive!  I went to 2000 feet and "flew" the route to Niku for a whole new perspective of the flyover.  Being able to look at the loran station from different directions and altitudes is also awesome.
Rick J

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 11:16:18 PM »

Appointments with Earhart were for 15 min before and past the hour as from radiograms traffic . Also all KHAQQ from 1415 GMT to Itasca vice versa messages hold for those time points ; 18 min past the hour is nowhere documented .

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 11:40:19 PM »

Appointments with Earhart were for 15 min before and past the hour as from radiograms traffic . Also all KHAQQ from 1415 GMT to Itasca vice versa messages hold for those time points ; 18 min past the hour is nowhere documented .

The Transmission Timeline begins with a message at 0418 GMT.

To see the Transmission Timeline, place your cursor over the words Transmission Timeline and click with your mouse.  This will cause your browser to go to the article in question.  When you see words in a funny shade of blue in a post, such as Transmission Timeline, this means that they are "links."  In the Transmission Timeline, you will find other "links" that lead to further documentation from which the Transmission Timeline was created.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 07:34:58 AM »

Has anyone created a .kmz for the whereabouts of the Itasca during its initial searches?

I found this in the Thompson Transcripts but would like to know if someone has already typed this in to GE.

Can anyone tell me what the meaning of "bounded by the lats 003500 30 North" is?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:10:41 AM by Heath Smith »

Erik

• T3
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »

Has anyone created a .kmz for the whereabouts of the Itasca during its initial searches?

Hi Heath,

Attached at the bottom of the post is a .kmz file of the Itasca search you can download.  It is from the deck logs for July 1 - July 12.

It sounds like you already have the Colorado .kmz file.  If you don't it is in post #16 in this thread.  Click here to download the Colorado .kmz file.

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 04:06:18 AM »

Erik,

Thank you very much for the file!

Did you create these GE files?

Erik

• T3
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 08:00:16 AM »

Did you create these GE files?

Thanks.  Yeah.  With a little help from some charcter recognition and mapping conversion software. 

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 02:52:34 PM »

Interesting... Can you tell me what the source data was?

If that is an accurate log of the Itasca movements I am a bit bothered by that Itasca radio message that stated that they had search from 320 degree to 45 degrees true from Howland out to 120 miles.

They also left the large area that described the most likely position on the water from 337 to 45 degrees true from Howland out to 250 miles largely un-searched. Am I missing something here?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:58:23 PM by Heath Smith »

Erik

• T3
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »

Interesting... Can you tell me what the source data was?
The source data was the Itasca deck logs July 2-12.  I took the 8am, 12noon, 8pm latitude and longitude observations and converted those to the point locations.  The linear tracks in between the points are crude connect-the-dots.  Here is a snippet of the Itasca deck log coordinates that were used in the conversion.  One of these exists for each day.

If that is an accurate log of the Itasca movements I am a bit bothered by that Itasca radio message that stated that they had search from 320 degree to 45 degrees true from Howland out to 120 miles.

They also left the large area that described the most likely position on the water from 337 to 45 degrees true from Howland out to 250 miles largely un-searched. Am I missing something here?
Nope.  Doesn't look like your missing anything.  Unless, I'm missing the same thing!   ???
I've revised the .kml file a bit.  You'll notice two cones of probability 250nm and 120nm.  Like you said, the 250nm cone is pretty void of any search tracks.  The 120nm cone contains a reasonable amount though.  I don't know what to make of that.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:03:27 PM by Erik »

Erik

• T3
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »

Attached is a revised .kmz file.  This one includes the probabilty search cones, the 157/337 LOP, and "smoothed" the ship's course lines in between the coordinate observations.  I fixed a small glitch with the three of the points lying just over the 180 degree dateline.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org