Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do i multi quote?  (Read 12779 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
How do i multi quote?
« on: June 06, 2011, 03:00:01 PM »

How do i multi quote in apost so that each quote has the name of the OP above it?

James G. Stoveken

• T2
Re: How do i multi quote?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »

How do i multi quote in apost so that each quote has the name of the OP above it?

Chris, the only way I could find was to open two tabs/windows (or as many as you're quoting) and after you hit the "Quote" button, cut and paste all into one reply box.  If there's an easier way I'm sure Marty will find it. 
Jim Stoveken

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 05:27:49 PM »

How do i multi quote in a post so that each quote has the name of the OP above it?

Chris, the only way I could find was to open two tabs/windows (or as many as you're quoting) and after you hit the "Quote" button, cut and paste all into one reply box.  If there's an easier way I'm sure Marty will find it. 

Well, if you quote someone who has quoted someone (as I have just done), you do get a stack of quotations that might be called a "multi-quote."

James' approach is the only way I know to collect the information necessary to assemble a multi-quote in some other fashion.

You can see from the structure of the quote tag that it does not use an ordinary link:

Code: [Select]
[quote author=Chris Johnson link=topic=389.msg4283#msg4283 date=1307394001]

This is not a quotation from Chris Johnson.  I have attributed it to him by putting a stolen quote tag in my post in a new location not supplied by the Forum software.  MXM, SJ
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Owens

• T2
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »

There is another way.

When composing your response, scroll down and note that the last few messages appear in the topic summary, below the "post" and "preview" buttons.  Note that each message has a small "insert quote" link at the upper right.  Click on it, and it inserts the entire message into the message you are composing, at which point you can edit it down (or change it completely to your devious liking, as I am doing here):

What do you guys think of Chris Owens?
I think he's a near-genius, and also without question an absolute gentleman in all matters.
Jim, I agree, and I would add that his scholarship is impeccable, and he's also incredibly kind to small animals.  Very popular with the ladies, I hear.

Thanks, guys.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 06:24:19 PM »

When composing your response, scroll down and note that the last few messages appear in the topic summary, below the "post" and "preview" buttons.  Note that each message has a small "insert quote" link at the upper right.  Click on it, and it inserts the entire message into the message you are composing, at which point you can edit it down (or change it completely to your devious liking, as I am doing here):

Good eyes, Chris--thanks for the help!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:58:45 PM »

There is another way.

What do you guys think of Chris Owens?
I think he's a near-genius, and also without question an absolute gentleman in all matters.
Jim, I agree, and I would add that his scholarship is impeccable, and he's also incredibly kind to small animals.  Very popular with the ladies, I hear.

Nice job Chris O!  That's an easier way.  And thanks for ending my evening with a hearty laugh.  Funny stuff.   :D
Jim Stoveken

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org