Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Edgar Cayce  (Read 25660 times)

david alan atchason

• T3
Edgar Cayce
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:25:08 PM »

I was perusing a book tonight which mentioned Edgar Cayce, the famous psychic. It occurred to me that he might have commented on the Amelia disappearance, I believe he died in 1945. My investigation got as far as finding his society on Google, and you must buy the indexed DVD of his prophecies to see if he did have an opinion, if any. Not wishing to shell out bucks at this time, I was hoping someone on the forum might have knowledge of what Edgar might have said on the subject.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Edgar Cayce
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »

In the days and weeks following Amelia's disappearance, George Putnam was bombarded with, and in some cases actively sought, help from psychics and mediums.  See An Avalanche of Psychics.

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »

Interesting articles, they sound a little superficial and are probably partially inaccurate. I'm not saying I could do better, though. No mention of Edgar Cayce who was probably the best known psychic of his day, and still has TV programs presented about him. What aroused my curiosity was the mention of a copra boat captain. I would be very curious to know how that whole business operated. Did they call at each island in the area that had coconut trees and a few natives to harvest them? Or were they more "corporate" and had a regular route for some big operation like the Arundel Co.? Someone like that must have had detailed knowledge about the islands and who visited them. I have read stories about islands disappearing or suddenly appearing, I tend to believe them, it  sounds possible, not that it has anything much to do with Amelia.

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:25:55 PM »

Ric's link above led me to more of the Historical Documents. It seems that on some visits to Niku, water was found, on others (like when the colonists came) none was found. It makes me think of the possibility that if Amelia landed there, she and Fred may not have been able to find any water at all, even digging down.
Then, reading "Bevington's Journal" from Oct. 14, 1937, he writes of "signs of previous habitation". Also, in Maude's account (these are all listed in Historical Documents) he speaks of finding J.W. Jones working in 1937 on Hull and Sydney with a few labourers from Tokelau. It seems like Maude didn't know Jones was there until he came upon him. What I'm getting at is the possibility of undocumented and unauthorized operators in those days visiting the islands including Niku for whatever they could find to make a buck? Or a pound? Like J. W. Jones stopping in at Niku even when the island was supposedly uninhabited? Would they have left signs of habitation as the flyers from the Colorado saw? Maybe this has all been gone over long ago, I'm new here.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 05:45:02 AM »

What I'm getting at is the possibility of undocumented and unauthorized operators in those days visiting the islands including Niku for whatever they could find to make a buck? Or a pound? Like J. W. Jones stopping in at Niku even when the island was supposedly uninhabited? Would they have left signs of habitation as the flyers from the Colorado saw?

That is certainly possible. Is it probable that unauthorized operators visited the island to harvest copra?  With only 111 coconut trees in bearing - as reported by Maude later in 1937 - it seems highly unlikely. It is also possible that the American man and woman castaways who appear to have died on the island sometime between 1933 and 1940 were some undocumented couple who were never missed and just happened to have with them the same type of sextant used by Fred Noonan. That too seems rather unlikely. We only know about the things we know about.  We try to think of reasonable alternative explanations for the what we've found and then we search for documentation.  Were there unauthorized visits to Gardner Island prior to 1937 that left behind signs of recent habitation?  We can't say, "No." We can only say, "Not that we know of." 

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:49:24 AM »

That is certainly possible. Is it probable that unauthorized operators visited the island to harvest copra?  With only 111 coconut trees in bearing - as reported by Maude later in 1937 - it seems highly unlikely.

How lucrative was the copra market?  Would it pay enough to too cover the cost involved in fuel and manpower to "pirate" the coconut grove(s) on Niku?  With little or no profit involved I would think that it would make it all the more unlikely of that happening.

LTM,

Don

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:16:32 AM »

A little off topic but hopefully this can be answered by someone who has been to Niku.  I proposed in a previous post Was Fred Injured in the landing that AE and/or FN would have probably gotten to the 7 site by traversing the NE shore of the island instead of having to cross the ocean to lagoon inlets.  As I remember the early coconut groves were in the area of the NE corner of Niku.  Gallagher stated when they found the skeleton that if they had just found the coconut groves they would have had what they needed to survive.  Wouldn't she/they have had to stroll right past the coconut groves to traverse the NE side of the island or are they far enough inland with enough cover that a person could stroll right past them without seeing them?  If nothing else I would think that they would have stood out when they did their approach to Niku for the reef landing.  If in fact she/they did find them then I can start to see Ric's point that she/they could have survived for months and died of something other then dehydration.

LTM,

Don

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:20:36 AM »

BTW:  This link has Cayce's prediction.  Edgar Cayce

LTM,

Don

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 08:52:23 AM »

With little or no profit involved I would think that it would make it all the more unlikely of that happening.

I agree with that. Niku is isolated. But, assuming the copra boat periodically visited Hull and Sydney Islands, where apparently there was worthwhile pickings, where did they take their cargo? To Tarawa, maybe? In which case they might sail close by Niku. Would they drop in for a feast of fish and crabs, especially if there were a few natives on the boat? Perhaps they would build a rudimentary shelter in case of rain? I see the "woulds" creeping into my post. Yes, I know, even if this scenario could have happened, that doesn't mean that it did. I also think it unlikely that someone making unauthorized visits in those days would document that fact. From what little I have read, though, my thinking is that anyone who thought they might be able to exploit the Phoenix Islands in those days would have a free hand. Who would stop you? And what penalties would there be if you were caught?

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:10:36 AM »

Thanks, Don, for the Edgar Cayce link. I just discovered it myself, had I been more diligent on Google I might have found it last night. It is disappointing concerning the location, as 90 miles NW of Howland is just ocean. But my curiosity is now satisfied.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »

It is disappointing concerning the location, as 90 miles NW of Howland is just ocean. But my curiosity is now satisfied.

Not much has changed since 1937.  Putnam was bombarded with psychic advice and the Earhart Project frequently gets psychic advice. It was BS then and it's BS now.

Mona Kendrick

• T2
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »

Oh, and don't leave out the part about what happened with Pancho Barnes after she went down near Bougainville.  Having parachuted out of the plane, she made her way to Japan and served during WWII as one of Tokyo Rose's script writers.  After the war she was spirited by Edgar Cayce back to the U.S., where she underwent plastic surgery and took on the identity of Irene Bolam, much to the annoyance of the real Irene.

Mona

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 12:36:32 PM »

Oh ok, you forum sleuths have basically already dragged out what can no longer be kept hidden, so here for the first time is the actual account...

AE and FN were initially not on a secret spy mission for the Roosevelts, but in-flight they were contacted by psychics and given such instructions. Also, little known to the world, AE couldn't actually fly, FN was the pilot, but only Eleanor was privy to that information. After a successful spy mission as they approached Howland they crossed the intl dateline goofing up navigation, then, due to an abnormality with equatorial physics a straight navigational line was manifest as a curve putting them right back on a dead-on course for Niku. On the way to Niku they tried telepathically contacting Edgar Casey for landing clearance but he was busy remotely guiding Pancho Barnes over a Japanese stronghold. That mission ended in failure when the Electra's doppelganger Barnes was piloting was lost near Bougainville. Later, Japanese remote sensing experts confirmed where the pair were and sent a ship to pick them up. After being held for a time in a Japanese prison where several of the locals saw them, being of no real use (and unable to tolerate more of FN's incoherent blatherings due to his head wound) they were returned to Niku. Realizing their predicament on the island, they settled in comfortably for a time in the copra business, but found it unfulfilling. AE last saw FN departing with only his sextant in a small makeshift craft for Canton where he hoped to see the eclipse. All of this would have been accurately recorded in Betty's notebook, had she really existed, but the notebook was written by an unknown person through automatic writing at the remote direction of Mr.Casey. Half-way through putting down the randomly heard radio calls it was understood they would be too confusing to future readers so a switch was made to invisible ink. Therefore, although all the relevant information is there, unfortunately we can't actually see it so we're compelled to simply speculate about it. Finally, the person whom we believe to be "Betty" was born Skippy Harmonic and convinced herself she was Betty through pseudologica phantastica.

OK thats quite good, almost as good as this novel on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amelias-Daughter/dp/B004ULVFI6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1304706930&sr=8-6

ISBN-10: 1908073004
ISBN-13: 978-1908073006
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:39:31 PM by Chris Johnson »

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »

Oh, and don't leave out the part about what happened with Pancho Barnes after she went down near Bougainville.  Having parachuted out of the plane, she made her way to Japan and served during WWII as one of Tokyo Rose's script writers.  After the war she was spirited by Edgar Cayce back to the U.S., where she underwent plastic surgery and took on the identity of Irene Bolam, much to the annoyance of the real Irene.

Mona

Thats also funny  ;D

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 05:33:50 PM »

AE and FN were initially not on a secret spy mission for the Roosevelts, but in-flight they were contacted by psychics and given such instructions. Also, little known to the world, AE couldn't actually fly, FN was the pilot, but only Eleanor was privy to that information. After a successful spy mission as they approached Howland they crossed the intl dateline goofing up navigation, then, due to an abnormality with equatorial physics a straight navigational line was manifest as a curve putting them right back on a dead-on course for Niku. On the way to Niku they tried telepathically contacting Edgar Casey for landing clearance but he was busy remotely guiding Pancho Barnes over a Japanese stronghold. That mission ended in failure when the Electra's doppelganger Barnes was piloting was lost near Bougainville. Later, Japanese remote sensing experts confirmed where the pair were and sent a ship to pick them up. After being held for a time in a Japanese prison where several of the locals saw them, being of no real use (and with the Japanese simply unable to tolerate more of FN's incoherent blatherings due to his head wound) they were returned to Niku. Realizing their predicament on the island, they settled in comfortably for a time in the copra business, but found it unfulfilling. AE last saw FN departing with only his sextant in a small makeshift craft for Canton where he hoped to see the eclipse. Unable to raise the Electra through telekinesis, AE expired peacefully at Seven Site with the sextant box nearby as a reminder of civilization and the sound of Maude and Bevington conversing with the aliens in the distance. All of this would have been accurately recorded in Betty's notebook, had she really existed, but the notebook was written by an unknown person through automatic writing at the remote direction of Mr.Casey. Half-way through putting down the randomly heard radio calls it was understood they would be too confusing to future readers so a switch was made to invisible ink. Therefore, although all the relevant information is there, unfortunately we can't actually see it so we're compelled to simply speculate about it. Finally, the person whom we believe to be "Betty" was born Skippy Harmonic and convinced herself she was Betty through pseudologica phantastica.

You may be posting under the screen name "Alan" but it's quite obvious that you're really Carol Linn Dow.  :o
Jim Stoveken

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org