Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 75th Anniversary Observance  (Read 8512 times)

Walter Runck

• TIGHAR member
75th Anniversary Observance
« on: April 30, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »

I'm curious what the forum thinks about marking the anniversary of the Round the World flights?  I understand there are plans for an expedition to Niku, but for those not involved with actually going and searching, what about a virtual re-enactment of the two attempts to circumnavigate? 

If you go back 75 years, I believe the Electra would be under construction at this point, or at least on order, with delivery this summer, flight planning in progress, etc..   If we start now, we have an opportunity to engage a broader audience with a day by day experience of the events leading to the mystery we ponder today by planning and delivering a historically accurate, technologically up-to-date chance to go for a virtual ride with AE and FN.

I am absolutely not the right person to execute such an effort, but I'm sure there are members familiar with the various aspects it would entail and perhaps someone willing to coordinate the whole thing.  I also know that there are enough media channels available to bring this thing of ours to a lot more people, some of whom may be able to contribute knowledge, time or other resources to the project.

There is a single-handed, around the world sailing race ongoing (Velux 5 Oceans) that did a nice job of engaging a global audience.  They're laying over here in town for the moment, but you can go to their site and replay past legs of the race, listen to updates from the racers, view blog posts, webcams, all that stuff.

A couple of specific concepts that came to mind.  In no particular order:

1.  Establish qualified re-enactors for individuals.  They could provide in-character commentary as things progress.
2.  Determine appropriate media channels.  I'm not a social networker, but apparently the world is full of them and there's some sort of difference between a tweet and a blog.
3.  Decide if this is to be a direct fundraising effort, completely pro-bono or a hybrid.  Follow for free, pay to play?
4.  Come up with some way of organizing and managing the effort.
5.  Enjoy and learn!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: 75th Anniversary Observance
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 04:54:41 AM »

I'm curious what the forum thinks about marking the anniversary of the Round the World flights?  I understand there are plans for an expedition to Niku, but for those not involved with actually going and searching, what about a virtual re-enactment of the two attempts to circumnavigate? 

If you go back 75 years, I believe the Electra would be under construction at this point, or at least on order, with delivery this summer, flight planning in progress, etc..   If we start now, we have an opportunity to engage a broader audience with a day by day experience of the events leading to the mystery we ponder today by planning and delivering a historically accurate, technologically up-to-date chance to go for a virtual ride with AE and FN.

I am absolutely not the right person to execute such an effort, but I'm sure there are members familiar with the various aspects it would entail and perhaps someone willing to coordinate the whole thing.  I also know that there are enough media channels available to bring this thing of ours to a lot more people, some of whom may be able to contribute knowledge, time or other resources to the project.

There is a single-handed, around the world sailing race ongoing (Velux 5 Oceans) that did a nice job of engaging a global audience.  They're laying over here in town for the moment, but you can go to their site and replay past legs of the race, listen to updates from the racers, view blog posts, webcams, all that stuff.

A couple of specific concepts that came to mind.  In no particular order:

1.  Establish qualified re-enactors for individuals.  They could provide in-character commentary as things progress.
2.  Determine appropriate media channels.  I'm not a social networker, but apparently the world is full of them and there's some sort of difference between a tweet and a blog.
3.  Decide if this is to be a direct fundraising effort, completely pro-bono or a hybrid.  Follow for free, pay to play?
4.  Come up with some way of organizing and managing the effort.
5.  Enjoy and learn!

TIGHAR's resources (Ric Gillespie and Pat Thrasher) are stretched pretty thin as it is with interpreting the results of the last expedition and laying the groundwork for the next.  Picking re-enactors and developing a schedule for them that would pay not only for their support but also produce a profit for TIGHAR is a job for a media mogul.

At the other end of the spectrum, you can use this Forum (rather than the Chatterbox) as a place to remind people of where we are in the anniversary year.

I have a timeline of the second round-the-world attempt that people could use for that part of the 75th Anniversary Calendar.

Ric is going to issue an invitation for TIGHARs to get together this summer.  That would provide a chance to hook up with other Ameliaholics who might already be planning something along these lines.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org