Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: FAQ: LOOKING for lost bones, another mission? Fiji search III  (Read 41913 times)

Alan Williams

• inactive

Sorry if I dreamed this - I thought I heard somewhere there was another TIGHAR bones research mission planned for 2011? I also seem to recall I heard new permission to search museum or hospital archives was granted making the mission worthwhile. I've poked around on the TIGHAR site relentlessly for fifteen minutes and can't find a peep about it. Does that mean it is right in front of me or did I dream it?  :D

Mona Kendrick

• T2
Re: FAQ: LOOKING for lost bones, another mission? Fiji search III
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 02:29:48 PM »

You heard it here first -
A four-person TIGHAR team led by Niku VI Team Physician Jon Overholt MD will search for the missing bones in Fiji in May.  The focus of their search will be the Colonial War Memorial Hospital in Suva - a prime suspect location.  Previous TIGHAR searches for the bones in 1999 and 2006 were denied entry to the hospital but we now have the hospital administration's enthusiastic cooperation.

You didn't dream it.  Here's the quote from Ric from March 7.

LTM,
Mona

Alan Williams

• inactive
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:33:50 PM »

Oh yeah, thanks!

Is that from the website? I looked in the "News" and didn't see anything. That actually sounds like a pretty big deal. Success on that front would hit the front page of every paper around the world. Any other details?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 02:35:30 PM by Alan Williams »

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »

Oh yeah, thanks!

Is that from the website? I looked in the "News" and didn't see anything. That actually sounds like a pretty big deal. Success on that front would hit the front page of every paper around the world. Any other details?
If you click on the "Quote from: Ric Gillespie on March 07, 2011, 10:17:57 AM" line just above the quote box in Mona's message, it'll take you to Ric's message in the Forum folder named: "TIGHAR > Amelia Earhart Search Forum > General discussion > Next Expedition"
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 06:48:14 AM »

Yes, Fiji Bone Search III is actually rather a big deal.  I haven't said much about it publicly because I don't want to start another speculative media feeding frenzy, but it looks like, for the first time, we'll get to search the most likely areas where the bones may have ended up.  The four-person team is led by Dr. Jon Overholt, our primary team physician on last year's expedition.  Assisting Jon will be Gary Quigg, Karl Kern, and Lonnie Schorer - all experienced TIGHAR researchers, expedition veterans, and television stars.  ;D

The current plan has them in Suva from May 7 to 22.  The focus of their search will be the Central War Memorial Hospital, the teaching hospital that served the Central Medical School.  We'll publish more details as plans are finalized. 

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »

The current plan has them in Suva from May 7 to 22.  The focus of their search will be the Central War Memorial Hospital, the teaching hospital that served the Central Medical School.  We'll publish more details as plans are finalized. 

Will their results be immediately available upon their return or does Discovery Channel have any interest in this expedition?

LTM,

Don

Roger Ward

• T1
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 12:52:11 PM »

Yes, Fiji Bone Search III is actually rather a big deal.  I haven't said much about it publicly because I don't want to start another speculative media feeding frenzy, but it looks like, for the first time, we'll get to search the most likely areas where the bones may have ended up.  The four-person team is led by Dr. Jon Overholt, our primary team physician on last year's expedition.  Assisting Jon will be Gary Quigg, Karl Kern, and Lonnie Schorer - all experienced TIGHAR researchers, expedition veterans, and television stars.  ;D

DNA testing, searching for bones, ROV searches...If all of these things makes even those of us who are slightly more than "casually" interested anticipate the results like a kid waiting for Christmas, they must make those of you intimately involved positively giddy with excitement sometimes. Am I right?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 05:38:13 PM »

Will their results be immediately available upon their return or does Discovery Channel have any interest in this expedition?

In all honesty, if they came across bones that fit the description of the bones Gallagher found and Hoodless examined we probably couldn't keep it quiet if we wanted to.  Too many people in Fiji would know about it.

Discovery is certainly interested but they are not involved at this point.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 01:55:37 AM »

Just wondering what updates TIGHAR will be posting or are we just waiting for a return to base report?

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 10:59:59 AM »

I am looking forward to these as well. The secret, IMHO, lays with these bones. If we can find them, we might just find the answer once and for all. Obvious I know, but outside of Deep Sea Dive for the wreck of the Electra the concentration should be put on finding the bones.

"Hang Tough"
Rich

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:56:33 PM »

Facebook says every other day unless something of interest

I'm sure you meant to say Facebook, Chris.   :P

As primitive as it is, I much prefer the Forum interface to Facebook because we can insert hot links and images into our posts, as well as sort things out somewhat logically in the different message boards.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:19:35 AM by Bruce Thomas »

Alex Fox

• T1
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 10:12:43 PM »

This is a very exciting new project.  Nice to hear they can search the hospital thoroughly now.  As for identifying the bones as AE, I don't know about the rest of you, but for me even if they did identify them as AE, I'd still want to find the Electra and try to find out more specifics of what happened.  It would be pretty hair-raising to see the actual airplane in a museum some day.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 05:06:29 AM »

... It would be pretty hair-raising to see the actual airplane in a museum some day.

If the Niku Hypothesis is correct, all that would be left is bits and pieces--possibly as fine as sand for some of the aluminum parts.  The reef is an extremely active environment, not conducive to preservation of airframes.  Planes sunk in lagoons or "landed" on water (an oxymoron!) can survive remarkably intact.  That is almost certainly not the case with NR16020, if it did, in fact, land on the reef.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 08:57:21 AM »

... I much prefer the Forum interface ...

Yes, not everybody does Facespace.

Well for you i've copied this from the TIGHAR Facebook pages

The team in Fiji reports that some bureaucratic details need to be sorted out before they can search the hospital but they have searched an old medical school building and also some tunnels that were used for air raid shelters and storage during WWII. The entrances are now deep in the jungle and the tunnels are rat-infested - and empty. This is how it always is. You just have to keep going.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org