Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats left of the village?  (Read 9011 times)

Don Dollinger

• T3
Whats left of the village?
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:35:15 AM »

A few questions about the village that is/was at Niku.

- Are there any structures still standing?
- Is there any maps or pictures available that I have overlooked that showed what the village layout was?
What construction materials did they use on islander's houses (i.e., thatched roofs or corrugated tin; woven palm frond sides or wood; etc)?
- As I have read (or misread) that Gallaghers quarters were removed from the village, exactly where was that building?
- I also thought I read that Gallaghers quarters were constructed differently of wood, is there anything left of that structure?

Thanx

LTM,

Don

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Whats left of the village?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 11:56:32 AM »

A few questions about the village that is/was at Niku.

- Are there any structures still standing?
- Is there any maps or pictures available that I have overlooked that showed what the village layout was?
What construction materials did they use on islander's houses (i.e., thatched roofs or corrugated tin; woven palm frond sides or wood; etc)?
- As I have read (or misread) that Gallaghers quarters were removed from the village, exactly where was that building?
- I also thought I read that Gallaghers quarters were constructed differently of wood, is there anything left of that structure?

Thanx

LTM,

Don

See "The Village.

Which leads to "Paradise Lost."

I seem to remember that what remains is Gallagher's original grave (now empty) and the "thunder box."

Cf. "Gallagher of Nikumaroro" for more details on the remains of the Rest House.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:58:40 AM by moleski »

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:29:24 AM »

Thanks Marty, as always your use of links has led me to the exact knowledge I was looking for.

LTM,

Don

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:11:22 PM »

Thanks Marty, as always your use of links has led me to the exact knowledge I was looking for.

You're welcome, Don.  I'm glad the links helped to answer your questions.   :)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org