Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artifact 2-6-S-03A & 2-6-S-03B  (Read 92971 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Artifact 2-6-S-03A & 2-6-S-03B
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2021, 11:43:27 AM »

This may seem like an odd question but how did they flush and how did they wash hands in the lav?

According to the Lockheed sales description of the Model 10:
"The lavatory aft of the cabin is lighted, ventilated and heated. Communication from this compartment may be had with the pilot by means of a call button. Venting is so arranged that no odors can be transmitted to the cabin. Equipment of this compartment includes a wash basin, water tank, large mirror, towel rack, paper holder, and a stool that closes automatically and is vented separately to the outside air."

So there was no flush provision.  The stool was in the left (port side) rear corner of the compartment. The wash basin and water tank were normally in the right (starboard side) forward corner of the compartment but they may not have been present in NR16020 to make room for the big navigator's window (later patch). I can also see Earhart not wanting the weight of a tank of water.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2021, 11:46:48 AM »

I wonder if after the window was patched, or maybe before, there was a need to strap a small can to at least wash hands. A small detachable water can is something that would make sense to haul across the island.
3971R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2021, 11:50:49 AM »

I wonder if after the window was patched, or maybe before, there was a need to strap a small can to at least wash hands. A small detachable water can is something that would make sense to haul across the island.

Nothing like that has been found at the Seven Site. Aluminum should have survived.  A can of thin steel would be long gone.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2021, 12:19:35 PM »

Assuming there was a metal water container that was taken there and understanding that the colonist didn't report finding it, it could have been left somewhere else to collect water, like at an existing water catch, when it rained. 
3971R

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2021, 12:22:18 PM »

That bottle just left of the gentleman in the white coverall and to the right of the shears/snips sure looks like a Coke bottle.

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2021, 04:26:20 PM »

So there was no flush provision. 

According to an old aviation magazine....well, I read it along time ago and it was a current copy at the time but I digress...in an article on the Ford Tri-motor, the author remarked the lavatory gave the user a "bombardier's view of the countryside below". 

Eeeep!
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2021, 04:42:34 PM »

That bottle just left of the gentleman in the white coverall and to the right of the shears/snips sure looks like a Coke bottle.

There are two unmistakable Coke bottles in the picture. The other is in shadow a few inches to the left of the one in sunlight, both close to the wood blocks under the tail. Their presence is one reason I thought the white cylinder on the ground nearby might be a mug.

LTM,
Don
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 04:48:49 PM by Don White »

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2021, 04:47:55 PM »

It may be pareidolia, but I think someone is lying on the ground and fussing with something aft of the tie-down point while the other three folks are enjoying the shade.

Unless the mechanic in the foreground has a very long and oddly jointed left arm there is definitely someone lying on the ground and fussing with something aft of the tie-down point.

I see five people in the picture. Two are lying down under the tail and working on the tail wheel, two are Earhart and Noonan, and the fifth is the man in white with his back to the camera.

Is it known where this was taken or who the three people besides Earhart and Noonan are? The man in white looks like he could be the same man in white who is in the picture of Amelia holding the Mobilubricant, standing with his hand on the cabin door, which is stated (by Purdue) to have been taken in Darwin.

LTM,
Don

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2021, 04:54:43 PM »

David Billings has these thoughts:

In the photo, look over AE's right shoulder and by her right arm.  There are skid marks on the concrete.

Could it possibly be that the Tailwheel castoring Lock-pin refused to release after landing and roll-out and that in parking the Electra in a right-hand turn she deposited rubber (or possibly worse) and/or bent the Lock-pin ?

Could the mystery box on the extreme left be a toolbox, specifically containing 'special tools' required for servicing the tailwheel assembly ?

The back-end has been lifted up and rests on the jacking/tie-down point.  I suspect Lock-pin trouble....

In TIGHAR's vast library of Electra information, is there a service manual or the like, describing the procedures for working on the tail wheel? So that we would know what they needed to do and what parts, supplies and tools were required. Also is there any record of this being performed on this Electra?

LTM,
Don

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2021, 06:50:32 AM »

This thread started with at attempt to identify the gidgies, and included speculation about where they might have been made, including that the Coast Guard Loran station personnel might have made them. I had the opportunity recently to ask my father, a retired Coast Guard officer whose career began a few years after these events (1943), about this possibility. His first command was a Loran C station at Cape Christian, Baffin Island. While later in time and far in distance and different in climate from Gardner Island, I explained what we were investigating and asked if they had a workshop or facilities to make such things. Unfortunately he is nearly totally blind now and I could not show him a picture of the items. He said they had no workshop as such and the station and equipment were brought in ready to assemble. His crew did not build the station itself (a construction crew was sent in to do this), but set up the equipment that they were going to operate and maintain.

Which brings up --what is known about the buildings that the Gardner station had? I know this information may have been gathered as part of the interviews that were done with station veterans.

My theory is still that these artifacts were made in an aviation facility, either as part of building the Electra or as a subsequent modification or repair.

LTM,
Don

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2021, 11:00:35 AM »

There is this photo from the Ameliapedia and this information
 "Two storage huts, a galley, and a mess hall, the crew‟s quarters, and the officers‟ quarters, and a tower of creosoted piling 20 feet long, for two 3000-gallon wood storage tanks was erected as a water supply system. This provided a gravity-feed fresh water supply to the galley and lavatories. Brackish water, from a well blasted in the coral, was evaporated, and pumped to one of the elevated tanks, to supply the water closets. Rain water was caught in gutters on four huts and stored in a 7000- gallon concrete cistern, constituting an additional source of fresh water.
Electric power for the Loran equipment and the station buildings was provided by three 13.75 KVA diesel driven generators, and one 15 KW direct current generator, using a bank of batteries for starting purposes. All cable was buried, with the lines to the huts running along the front of the buildings."
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:04:15 AM by Matt Revington »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org