Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: FN or AE cairn?  (Read 24089 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: FN or AE cairn?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 05:11:17 PM »

Quick question, as usual probably already addressed elsewhere...

What is confidence level FN was at Seven Site? Does discovery of  piece of potentially matching male's shoe "probably" put FN at Seven Site? Possibility FN was never at Seven Site/perished elsewhere and AE brought his shoe(s) to wear or as a hammering tool or similar?

Ric has made the argument many times in the old Forum that it makes sense to think that a woman would get more mileage out of a man's shoe than a man would get out of a woman's shoe.

The British definitely identified the shoe parts near the skeleton as "parts of a man's shoe and parts of a woman's shoe."

Only one skeleton was found by the British.

Hmm.  I seem not to have an article on the wiki about Kar Burns' work with a modern forensic database.  Cf. "Amelia Earhart's Bones and Shoes? Current Anthropological Perspectives on an Historical Mystery."

It's not a knockdown argument, but I personally find it persuasive, FWIW.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Zach Reed

• T1
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 02:37:55 PM »

I've always been intrigued by what sparked the move from the landing site to the Seven Site, to the extent I think a crash landing near the Seven Site should be a runner-up theory.

Given the difficulties that Ric and others have pointed out in burying a body, yet the obvious physical and mental need to get away from it, perhaps we have motivation for a move that eventually led to resettlement at the Seven Site.

Mark Petersen

• T3
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 01:09:30 PM »

I've always been intrigued by what sparked the move from the landing site to the Seven Site, to the extent I think a crash landing near the Seven Site should be a runner-up theory.

It's certainly possible.  However, the interview with Emily Sikuli provides strong anecdotal evidence that suggests that the reef flat north of the Norwich City is where the 10E came down.  The reef is wider there than the 7-site.   The reef has longer stretches of relatively straight flats near the 7-site though.  Looking at the Niku sat photo it looks like waves are coming in from the east though, which puts more white water on the east side of the island than the west side by the Norwich City.  If I recall correctly the Itasca also reported winds from the east.  So this might have been one reason (even if subtle) for a pilot to prefer the West side over the 7-site.  But then again it was low tide so the white water was likely clear of the reef.  Just a guess, but for me the wider reef by the Norwich site seems much more inviting.  The fact that the wreck of a large ship is there also might suggest to a pilot that this area of the island is less remote.  Not that it necessarily is less remote, but the presence of something man made would give that impression.  The island is also "thinner" by the 7-site and a pilot would probably view that as another indication of remoteness, a larger part of the island seems as though it would be a more logical place to find a village or other inhabitants and this coincidentally is in the area by the Norwich City.

Let's hope that Tighar collects enough info that would cause such an outpouring of funds, that an exhaustive search might be possible, one that includes the deep water around the entire periphery of Niku.  Bill Gates are you listening?  :)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:32:09 PM by moleski »

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 09:11:10 AM »

Bill Gates are you listening?  :)

How about Richard Branson? Somebody give him a call.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org