Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: possible Amelia items found on Niku  (Read 20284 times)

Mike Piner

• T1
possible Amelia items found on Niku
« on: January 08, 2011, 07:46:52 PM »

Has a list been compiled of the feminine items found on Nuki?  items that are pollibly Amelias Mike P

Mike Piner

• T1
Re: possible Amelia items found on Niku
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 08:09:44 PM »

Correction "posssibly"--MikeP

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:23:47 AM »

Shoe parts (not sure of 'official' standing but my recollection is that TIGHAR still has oxford shoe parts that match a lady's shoe)

The epilogue in both editions of Shoes tells why there is doubt about the identification of the shoe parts.

TIGHAR's official evaluation of the evidentiary value of the shoe parts is up in the air.

Pun intended.

You may laugh now.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

John D Stahly

• T1
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:45:49 PM »

You may already be aware of a compact in the Purdue University Archival collection of AE personal belongings.

Has any similarities between the suspected rouge and mirror pieces been considered?

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/earhart&CISOPTR=33&CISOBOX=1&REC=4

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:13:15 PM »

You may already be aware of a compact in the Purdue University Archival collection of AE personal belongings.

Has any similarities between the suspected rouge and mirror pieces been considered?

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/earhart&CISOPTR=33&CISOBOX=1&REC=4

Yes, there is a mention of the Purdue compact in Tighar Tracks, March 2008.

You can search for more information on the TIGHAR website.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jackie L Tharp

• T1
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 11:09:52 AM »

A few years ago, I attended an Amelia workshop at Purdue University in Michigan City, Indiana.  The main speaker
was a woman who worked with the Amelia Earhart Collection.  I talked to her during the luncheon, and it turns out
she is the woman in charge of the collection, and also the person who made the decision to deny Tighar from taking
a pinhole sized sample of that compact.
I asked her why it was denied, and she said "it would damage the artifact"  I said But a pinhole?  She said its wrapped in plastic, and a hole could contaminate the artifact.  I asked "Wouldn't it be worth it if it turns out to
prove where AE died?"  She said she isn't interested in that, and that was all she had to say about it.  Since she
was beginning to be very defensive about it, I walked away.  I just can't believe how closed minded some of
these supposed "experts" can be.
Jackie #2440

Mona Kendrick

• T2
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »

Unfortunately, the closedmindedness does make a fair amount of sense in view of all the bizarre theories about AE's disappearance that have been put forward over the years.  If she gave one investigator a compact sample, she'd have to give them out to all the other crazies.   TIGHAR's theory, which requires having AE & FN navigate to another small island rather far away from Howland when they're lost and low on gas, looks superficially like just another crazy over-the-top theory . . . until you've looked at it in detail and followed the progress of investigations for awhile.  That's one reason it's good that TIGHAR has been getting more media coverage.  As the general public becomes better acquainted with how the evidence has accumulated over time, the theory won't seem so strange.

LTM,
Mona

Jackie L Tharp

• T1
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 07:52:27 PM »

I do understand museum curators not allowing anyone to touch or take samples of historic artifacts, but I'm sure
Ric or Pat made it very clear how significant our request was.  When I talk to friends and family about our research,
No-one has ever thought of Tighar as having a bizarre theory.  When they hear about all of the 1930's American
female artifacts we've collected from Niku, that's all it takes for them to be convinced that "Hey, there might be
something to this theory".  It seems to me that there are only two believable theories left of the many, many that
have floated around over the years, being the crashed and sank, and Niku.  And that Discovery Special went a long
way in convincing folks of its plausibility.  Ric and Discovery did an excellent job, and I agree that more media would
certainly help our cause.  Besides, the other investigators don't need to know about it (wink). Us Tighar's are a great
bunch of people, and its high time everyone knew it:)
Jackie #2440

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 07:40:05 PM »

Would taking a sample from the compact in question really give that much useful information.  It obviously isn't the same one that Amelia took on her flight.  We already know the one found on Niku was probably from the 1930's.  What would taking a sample really tell us?

Mike Piner

• T1
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »

Please see post August 26,2010.  Wrote to a Prof Morris, who it turns out to be a Female, and Her staff answered, informing me that She had left, going to Florida State University.  You might contact them again:  Results ????? 
MikeP

Mona Kendrick

• T2
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 08:40:28 PM »

Would taking a sample from the compact in question really give that much useful information.  It obviously isn't the same one that Amelia took on her flight.  We already know the one found on Niku was probably from the 1930's.  What would taking a sample really tell us?

Possibly nuclear DNA.

LTM,
Mona

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 09:27:40 PM »

Please see post August 26, 2010.

This is your post from August 26, 2010.

I can't make heads nor tails out of what you are trying to say.

If you're thinking of some other post, would you be so kind as to include a link to it instead of merely giving the date?
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org