Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream  (Read 661910 times)

Bob Lanz

• T4
Re: Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream
« Reply #450 on: January 25, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »

My gosh, what is the problem admitting men using hand lotion.  I have used it for most of my life especially after working it the shop with solvents etc drying out my hands and cracking the tips of my fingers.  Many products for men are on the internet. 

http://tinyurl.com/b77kz93

A lot of men use Bag Balm for dry and cracked hands.  I know many loggers and mechanics who swear by it.

http://www.bagbalm.com/uses.htm

And by the way, real men do eat Quiche, though they don't admit that either.  ;D
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:21:53 PM by Bob Lanz »

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #451 on: January 25, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »

I use Udder Balm all the time.  My wife buys the stuff now, but I did when I was single.

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #452 on: January 25, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »

Absolutely!  I think it was originally designed to be used on dairy cow's udders.  They tend to get fairly sore when milking machines are used, especially in the winter.

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #453 on: January 25, 2013, 05:35:34 PM »

I just googled it myself, and noticed the original formula for Bag Balm contained mercury and lanolin.  That sounds sort of familiar.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #454 on: January 26, 2013, 12:22:27 PM »

That sounds sort of familiar.

How could we have missed Niku's thriving dairy industry as the source of the Seven Site bottles?

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #455 on: January 26, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »

How could we have missed Niku's thriving dairy industry as the source of the Seven Site bottles?

Yes Ric and the tittilating yummies for the coconut crabs.  ;D
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #456 on: January 26, 2013, 01:15:50 PM »

Ric, you mean to tell me there aren't ANY dairy cattle on a small desert island in the middle of the Pacific?!  What are the odds?! I suppose next you'll tell me it's difficult to find a good, steady source of fresh water or that there are probably fifty different easy ways to die there!

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #457 on: January 26, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »

Absolutely!  I think it was originally designed to be used on dairy cow's udders.  They tend to get fairly sore when milking machines are used, especially in the winter.

It all started in 1899.

"John L. Norris bought the formula for Bag Balm®—a salve created to soften cow udders—that worked extremely well."

Admiral Byrd takes Bag Balm® to the North Pole.

"In 1937, Admiral Byrd’s provisions for the trip to the North Pole included Bag Balm®, which helped to protect against the harsh climate. It would be the first of many instances where Bag Balm® played a role in comforting those on a very long journey."

Ya think Dale?  If it's good enough for Admiral Byrd's chapped hands and face, it's good enough for mine.  Oh and cow's udders too.  :D

Never leave home without it.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #458 on: January 26, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »

Went with Admiral Byrd in 1937, huh?  Anything else interesting happen in 1937?  Seems as if people in 1937 liked to have something like Bag Balm, or perhaps Campana Balm, along on long trips to the middle of nowhere!  Certainly not proof of anything on Niku (by itself, at least), but perhaps a small indicator that fits with a lot of other small and not-so-small indicators.  Just as Mr. Gillespie has "indicated" all along.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #459 on: January 26, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »

"John L. Norris bought the formula for Bag Balm®—a salve created to soften cow udders—that worked extremely well."

I first read about this in a cycling magazine early in the 1990s.

The farmers found that their own hands felt better after applying Bag Balm to the cows' udders, so it became a home remedy.

I'm a happy and satisfied customer.

[None of which has anything to do with Niku, of course.  ::) ]
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
« Reply #460 on: January 30, 2013, 06:17:51 AM »

I entered the eBay auction, first spotted by eagle-eyed Jeff Carter, for the Campana Dreskin (complete with liner notes on the product) and won the auction.  I can see from the marketing in the liner notes, which I will scan and post when it arrives, that Campana's hope was that some men would buy this product.  I think my reasons for having rejected Dreskin in 2010 as an inferior match to Campana's Italian Balm are valid.  Nevertheless, I can see this product will need to be tested by FTIR for any possible match.  Living up to Feynman's call for unremitting integrity would require nothing less.  I can virtually write the critics' response if we do not:
"...And this Italian Balm that TIGHAR's pr and glass guy, Joe, has foisted upon us, do you know what that has turned out to be?  A product marketed to both men and women!  The Coast Guard could easily have brought it.  It's all there on the eBay auction.  You can go there right now and read it..."

I will test the Dreskin.  And if I'm wrong about Dreskin as the wrong match for 2-8-S-2a, I will publicly state this (along with a picture of myself wearing a tin-foil hat!)   8)

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR #3078 ECR
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:20:24 AM by Joe Cerniglia »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #461 on: January 30, 2013, 07:49:56 AM »

Congratulations on your purchase. Keep us up to date on your findings and I hope you don't have to wear that tin-foil hat. :D
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
« Reply #462 on: January 30, 2013, 09:47:44 AM »

Thanks.  One point to keep in mind is we've never had an Italian Balm bottle with intact product inside to test.  All we have had to work with are faint remnants the lab can scrape off the sides of the interior of one of the bottles.  Most sellers wash them thoroughly before offering them for sale.  If a bottle of Italian Balm ever appeared with ample contents inside, I think we'd have more than just the close match we obtained.

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR #3078 ECR

Lauren Palmer

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #463 on: January 30, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »

WARNING:  I stopped buying things over ebay after the second rip-off:  I received products not even close to what they were touted as being, and no remedy from ebay.  Basically ebay told me to go to its conversation subsite, and replies to my situation(s) were that I was ripped off - I knew that!
Buyer Beware!  ;D

william patterson

• T1
« Reply #464 on: January 30, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »

Thanks.  One point to keep in mind is we've never had an Italian Balm bottle with intact product inside to test.  All we have had to work with are faint remnants the lab can scrape off the sides of the interior of one of the bottles.  Most sellers wash them thoroughly before offering them for sale.  If a bottle of Italian Balm ever appeared with ample contents inside, I think we'd have more than just the close match we obtained.

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR #3078 ECR

Well please explain report #1180 which states Dr.Mass has a "partially filled bottle of Campana", for comparison to the artifact.  see description below.

"The fragment contains two dark brown residues and one white residue in its base, as well
as a reddish-brown residue near the top. The FTIR spectra from these residues were
compared to those from a non-archaeological and partially filled bottle of Campana
Italian Balm conducted by the Evans Analytical Group
(David Saperstein, PhD
Scientist, FTIR, GCMS and Raman Services)"

Clearly a partially filled known bottle of Campana Balm is a lot different that the one you just described with faint crusty scrapings inside.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 39   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org