Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream  (Read 666063 times)

Mark Pearce

• T3
Re: Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 10:30:13 AM »

I'm hoping to find out about the origin of the clear glass jar on the left in this photo, not the milk glass jar on the right.

https://picasaweb.google.com/irvdonald/Earhart75thSymposium?authkey=Gv1sRgCIKup5u7tdXUlQE#5749211342029120626

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »

I'm hoping to find out about the origin of the clear glass jar on the left in this photo, not the milk glass jar on the right.

https://picasaweb.google.com/irvdonald/Earhart75thSymposium?authkey=Gv1sRgCIKup5u7tdXUlQE#5749211342029120626

It's not from the island.

I think someone bought it to use as a comparison with the glued-together pieces which WERE found on Niku (in the center of the photograph).

I don't have any handy summary of the work of the glass-and-bottle group from EPAC.  Joe Cerniglia is a very active researcher, and there are a couple of other expert collectors involved, too.  They almost certainly said something about the clear glass jar with the blue top on the EPAC mailing list at some time or other, but, regrettably, I don't remember what they said.

I do have a very dim recollection, which may be utterly inaccurate, of someone talking about ink jars.  It seems to me that all of the fountain pen ink that I have ever had came in clear glass jars.  I have no idea what kind of pens, if any, AE and FN would have carried and used on the flight. 

I do believe that if they landed on Niku, AE would carry some kind of notebook and writing instrument with her.  A survivor's journal would be worth the investment in time and energy, if they survived the adventure.

This speculation is pretty much unencumbered by any attachment to facts.   ::)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Mark Pearce

• T3
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2012, 11:56:41 AM »

"...I think someone bought it to use as a comparison with the glued-together pieces which WERE found on Niku..."

"...I do have a very dim recollection, which may be utterly inaccurate, of someone talking about ink jars." 

Many thanks Marty for this info.  Can we find out from Ric or Joe Cerniglia who brought the clear jar to the symposium, and where they found it?

"They almost certainly said something about the clear glass jar with the blue top on the EPAC mailing list at some time or other, but, regrettably, I don't remember what they said."

Can we can learn more about what was disscussed by the EPAC?

Thom Boughton

• T2
  • Infinite Rider on The Big Dogma
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »

I do have a very dim recollection, which may be utterly inaccurate, of someone talking about ink jars.  It seems to me that all of the fountain pen ink that I have ever had came in clear glass jars.  I have no idea what kind of pens, if any, AE and FN would have carried and used on the flight. 

An interesting notion.  I've never seen ink packaged in jars with wide mouths such as our found artifact.  Although I have seen quite a few large volume ink jars (indeed, I've several here on the shelf), they all have had smaller necks and mouths.  Would think smaller necked jars would make it easier to refill from.

However, all of that being said, I would think it would be simple enough to inquire with the larger such companies of the era (Shaeffer, Parker, Omas, Pelikan, Quink?, Waterman, etc.) to see if they've packaged in a similar jar.  Most are still in business today to one extent or another.

tb
TIGHAR #3159R

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »

Mark and Martin...It's your lucky day! Just received a facebook message from Joe Cerniglia. It reads as follows:

"Hi! It's Joe Cerniglia. We met at the Earhart 75 Symposium. A question has arisen on the forum as to who found and purchased the clear jar for use in the artifact exhibit. http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,261.60.html. I was the one who came up with that one. I found it on Ebay, about a week before the Symposium. Having been the one who originally brought the freckle ointment to EPAC's attention, I've been hot on the trail for this one...and I'm not letting up!

Also, you might want to know that I've sent a piece of the artifact jar to a lab in Syracuse, and we're expecting the results any day now. We're trying to determine if trace mercury can be found embedded in the glass that would perhaps signal freckle cream. It's a long shot, and negative results would prove nothing either way, but it's obviously a test worth doing. I'm ably assisted by the advice and counsel of Dr. Tom King, Tighar's Senior Archaeologist and a scientist named Greg George, who works at Sherry labs in Oklahoma. Greg and I met, oddly enough, through a comment he posted to an article in Discovery about the freckle cream". Joe goes on to say that he can answer any questions to all of you on this matter at joecernigila@hotmail.com. From Joe to you..."Thanks and Best regards to all of you on the forum...I read all of your posts each day and wouldn't missed it!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2012, 08:49:56 AM »

I've never seen ink packaged in jars with wide mouths such as our found artifact.

Me, neither, now that I think of it.  None of the three jars of ink I have here at home have mouths wider than the base. 

I guess the ink idea stinks.   ::)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »

Not sure if anyone has read this report, so thought i would post anyway  :)

http://archive.nlm.nih.gov/fdanj/bitstream/123456789/41433/4/fdnj01376.pdf
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Thom Boughton

• T2
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2012, 12:34:58 AM »

I've never seen ink packaged in jars with wide mouths such as our found artifact.

Me, neither, now that I think of it.  None of the three jars of ink I have here at home have mouths wider than the base. 

I was thinking more on this idea last night. 

Now that I do spend more time on it, I also notice that every ink jar I have...or recall ever having or having seen....also had a plastic or bakelite cap/lid on it.  Our artifact would have had a metal lid.  I suspect that this is significant as ink would likely have an adverse chemical reaction from being exposed to metal over a prolonged period of time.

Although I thought the ink pot notion might have had merit.....now I'd say you were right.  It 'stinks'!  :D

tb
TIGHAR #3159R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2012, 07:45:47 AM »

Now that I do spend more time on it, I also notice that every ink jar I have...or recall ever having or having seen....also had a plastic or bakelite cap/lid on it.

I have a bottle of black Schaeffer ink with a metal lid on it.  It is probably not more than 22 years old.

I much prefer plastic lids, FWIW.  :)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »

I have a bottle of black Schaeffer ink with a metal lid on it.  It is probably not more than 22 years old.

I much prefer plastic lids, FWIW.  :)

I found this picture of a Scheaffer ink container with a metal screwcap.  The box and its markings, especially, conjure up strong memories from my elementary school years (early 1950s), when I would experiment with filling my mother's fountain pen when I was home alone.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:08:47 AM by Bruce Thomas »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2012, 09:46:32 AM »

I found this picture of a Scheffer ink container with a metal screwcap.

The ink bottle is identical to the one I have.  The built-in inkwell is handy.

My label is much smaller and simpler.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Thom Boughton

• T2
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2012, 10:39:36 AM »

I found this picture of a Scheffer ink container with a metal screwcap.

Aaack!  I have, in the past, had a couple of those particular bottles of Schaeffer's.  Had forgotten about them.  Hmmm...perhaps ink is not as reactive as I had presumed.

I still cling to my comment about the mouth size of the bottles, however. A quick image search on Google seems to bear it out.  There are a few with slightly wider than average mouths...but none on the scale of our artifact.

I always rather liked the Pelikan ink bottle with the built-in pen holder.  But....actually preferred Omas or Visconti ink.  You're right  Marty, the plastic lids were nicer.  Metal seemed to make it feel a cheaper product.

tb
TIGHAR #3159R

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2012, 10:43:02 AM »

Very impressive ink bottle. I have never seen one like it.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2012, 11:16:40 AM »

The artifact seems rather over engineered to be an ink pot?
Why the aesthetic shape?
Why the thickness of glass?
If you are churning out and shipping tens of thousands or more a week wouldn't the cost and weight of the container be minimal compared to its contents, ink.
Why the fancy shape? a less aesthetic shape would be cheaper to produce.
It looks as though it was designed to catch the eye first, missing fancy label? contents were secondary.
Ink is ink, bought with cost in mind, I buy dozens of printer cartridges by cost, stuff the box and packaging!
Any thoughts?
This must be the place

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2012, 01:28:18 PM »

Richie....Don't know if you've seen this box or not...but did read the article and was quite amazed by your finding. Anyway, so this box we have is rather quite interesting! Anyway, here are two pics for you to analyze! Thanks!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org