Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Norwich  (Read 9649 times)

TOM C

• T1
Norwich
« on: December 17, 2010, 10:15:58 PM »

Was the Norwich intact when Amelia landed there.
Maybe they took shelter in the ship at that time.
Her Plane if landed on the flats probably sank in the ground,
like you do when standing on the beach at the ocean, your feet get pulled in and down,
If you continue to stand there you would be under water in a few hours, same for the plane.
Amelia stopped radioing for help maybe because the plane was sinking or the tides rolled it over.

I for one keep an open mind, think outside the box and try to keep everything simple.
If I was on the mission I would take a small fishing boat with a new technology fish finder and explore
the shallow waters. even I can afford a good fish finder.
All the hi teck equipment they have is great but the simple things have there place.
If you want to go real hi teck then take some photos from space of that area.
You can do this from your computer and you can see way down in the water and see old land marks not visable
from the sky or land.

Mark Petersen

• T3
Re: Norwich
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 12:28:03 AM »

I'm not the expert that Ric, Marty and the others are but I'll attempt to paraphrase what Ric has said the last time these questions came up.

The Norwich City caught fire and burned shortly after running aground on the reef.  It's fuel tanks were ruptured when it ran aground and the rising water level eventually brought the fuel oil up to the level of the boilers which ignited an inferno.  No doubt that it would have been explored by castaways, although it doesn't seem as though there would be much that could be retrieved from it other than pieces of the metal from the ship itself.  It doesn't seem as though it would have provided much shelter, but I suppose it's possible.  

From the videos that I've seen, the reef flat looks to be very hard rock (edit: probably hard packed coral calcification).  It's not sandy so the problem wouldn't be sinking in but rather catching a wheel on the rocks and holes.

The shallow lagoon has been extensively searched with high tech equipment in previous Niku expeditions.  

The first satellite photos of Nikumaroro were extensively examined when they first became available.  There was speculation at that time of possible aircraft debris just north of the Norwich City, but subsequent expeditions searched that area and came up empty.  The 7 site is fairly prominent in those photos.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Naia had a good fish finder.  I've heard that the food on board was excellent :D

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:26:33 AM by Mark Petersen »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:30:40 AM »

I'm not the expert that Ric, Marty and the others are but I'll attempt to paraphrase what Ric has said the last time these questions came up.

Good substance, Mark!  All you need to do is learn how to link to extant materials on the website:
The purpose of the Forum, as I see it, is not to reproduce all of the information on the website, but to show people how to find what they're looking for.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:49:15 AM by moleski »

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 07:24:42 AM »

Was the Norwich intact when Amelia landed there.
Maybe they took shelter in the ship at that time.

Yes she was there, up on the reef with her back broken.  Would they shelter on her? Even if there had been no fire damage I don't think that staying on a wrecked hulk with its back end hanging off a reef would be a good prospect.  From my limited experience on board a wrecked vessel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartland_Point) the noises the ship makes can be most un nerving when you are on board.  Certainly not somewhere to be when the surf is up!!

Mark Petersen

• T3
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 01:28:49 PM »

Good substance, Mark!  All you need to do is learn how to link to extant materials on the website:
Thanks Marty.  Glad to help shoulder the load with some of the easier questions. As I get more familiar with the content on the website I will hopefully be able to find the links and post them.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:34:10 PM by Mark Petersen »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org