Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bevingtons Journal and Coconut Crabs  (Read 5525 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Bevingtons Journal and Coconut Crabs
« on: April 02, 2023, 02:06:55 PM »

Last evening I dove into Bevingtons journal and stumbled upon something that had me thinking. In the journal the comment came up about coconut crabs eating humans..."Kerosene had run out and we couldn’t have a light in camp to keep the coconut crabs off. Maude and I didn’t worry a patch as they don’t eat humans (!) though they are alarming to look at." With that comment made...was wondering what kind of test has been done to see how snow and coconut crabs act around human cadavers. We've seen how the pig test went...but curious to know if they know the difference from pig decomposition to human decomposition. In reality is there a difference? Love to hear answers...thanks

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Bevingtons Journal and Coconut Crabs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 03:34:59 PM »

Crabs are nor picky eaters.   All crabs eat carrion.  We've never tested coconut crabs on humans because no one has volunteered to be a cadaver.

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 09:10:14 PM »

I've taken Bevington's statement to mean that coconut crabs don't try to eat live humans. Ric has described them as "rather shy." However, I think they would not shy from eating a dead human or dead anything else. A pig is close enough, biologically, as a test. Reportedly, Pacific Islanders who ate people called them "long pig" though of course this may not be true.

Christian Stock

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 02:37:33 PM »

They are attracted to dead, decaying animals - whether pig, people or chicken necks. Stinkier the better. I've eaten many blue crabs that thought they lucked into a free chicken dinner.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-the-wednesday-edition-1.6137524/a-chemical-in-plastic-is-tricking-hermit-crabs-into-thinking-trash-is-food-1.6137530
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 02:41:11 PM by Christian Stock »

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 07:15:58 PM »

Funny - interesting -- that some of the tastiest critters are scavengers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org