Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New book on AE in the works  (Read 15372 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
Re: New book on AE in the works
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:16:59 AM »

The Barnes and Noble website indicates that this book will be published 11/23/2010.  There's also a brief synopsis.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »

The Barnes and Noble website indicates that this book will be published 11/23/2010.  There's also a brief synopsis.

Thanks for digging that up, Bruce!

The book will be good for TIGHAR, I think.  When people get interested in AE, the site gets a lot more hits (e.g., last year's movie release and Niku VI).
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 11:17:56 AM by moleski »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 01:29:58 PM »

Some Amazon reviews.

Sounds like a very good book, all things considered.  I'm looking forward to reading it.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 03:45:16 PM »

Seems like an interesting biography! Like Marty said, I'm looking forward to reading it as well. :)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 02:50:44 PM »

Anything that looks beyond the "legend" is good. Even though we do so love our heroes ... the truth is always the best thing in the long run.
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 04:34:34 PM »

Anything that looks beyond the "legend" is good. Even though we do so love our heroes ... the truth is always the best thing in the long run.

I checked my Amazon Kindle account last night.  The book is due to come out on November 23rd--actually pretty good timing for the TV show.  Probably just a happy accident.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jackie L Tharp

• T1
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »

Hi All.   I've just read the new book "The turbulent life of an American Icon", and am very impressed with it.  The author focuses mainly on AE's personal life in the
beginning, and does an excellent history on her family members.  I fully expected this to be an AE Basher book, but bought it anyway, and I'm glad I did.  Although
Kathleen Winters points out many of AE examples of negligent and reckless piloting, she does it in a non-judgemental or sarcastic way.  Kathleen and many woman
pilots (Jackie Cochran, Louise Thaden, Elinor Smith, etc.) agree that her main problem was from inexperience, and George Putnam pushing her into flying to make
records and stunts beyond her skills, scheduling her tours, etc. so that she didn't have the time to become more proficient, especially with her Electra.  I thoroughly
enjoyed reading this book.  It's well written and I believe shows us the real AE, tellng the truth without insult.

Jackie Tharp #2440
Jackie #2440

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 07:32:18 PM »

I've just read the new book "The turbulent life of an American Icon", and am very impressed with it. ...

Thanks for being the first to review the book here, Jackie!

The release date for the Kindle edition has been pushed back to the 30th, so it will be a while before I get to read it for myself.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Hilary Christine Olson

• TIGHAR member
  • My Passion
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:44:53 PM »

Hi I just finished reading  Kathleen Winters book also. I found her take on the facts refreshing . Sad that Kathleen died earlier this year.

Marty I really considered a Kindle so decided to download," Nor the Years Condemn" By Rob Davis  to my notebook  ..Just to make sure I could change my  reading formats. My 11  floor to ceiling book cases are so over flowing  I thought it  a good idea.   Well I lasted the foreward and 1 chapter and printed it off. Better order a new Bookcase tomorrow.
Hilary
HCO

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 05:55:58 AM »

Hi I just finished reading  Kathleen Winters book also. I found her take on the facts refreshing . Sad that Kathleen died earlier this year.

Very sad!  

"Kathleen C. Winters, St. Paul Park MN. died on August 19, 2010 after a very brief illness. She was a commercial glider pilot who held soaring records in the 1-26 Association and in SSA Region 7. She was also the author of Anne Morrow Lindbergh: First Lady of the Air, and her new book, Amelia Earhart: The Turbulent Life of an American Icon is scheduled to be published in November 2010" (Soaring Society of America). 

"By age 19 she had both commercial pilot and flight instructor licenses. The holder of several state records for her glider flights, she was married to Jim Hard, a soaring pilot who held numerous records and awards of his own" (Wikipedia).

She apparently died from a cerebral hemmorrhage. 

R.I.P.

Marty I really considered a Kindle so decided to download," Nor the Years Condemn" By Rob Davis  to my notebook  ..Just to make sure I could change my  reading formats. My 11  floor to ceiling book cases are so over flowing  I thought it  a good idea.   Well I lasted the foreward and 1 chapter and printed it off. Better order a new Bookcase tomorrow.

The Kindle was a gift from a benefactor and friend.  It does an adequate job on books formatted for the Kindle and probably is lighter than a notebook for reading in bed.  It is horrible for reading .pdf files not formatted especially for the Kindle.  I've read six or eight books on it and find it OK, all things considered.

I don't have room for another bookshelf (yet).  If I finish some indexing, I can ship out four boxes left over from the Polanyi biography and get rid of one of my filing cabinets.  But it is also time to winnow my collection.   ::)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:05:27 AM by moleski »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 09:52:08 AM »

Winters has a comment from a newspaper that called AE's flight across the Atlantic an example of "pointless courage" (if I remember correctly; I'll double check later).

Here is a video of a wingwalker demonstrating the same.  She had no parachute.  She really was risking her life.  But it was all just an act for the cameras. 

I don't enjoy watching wingwalkers, even nowadays with all the safety gear.   :(
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org