Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Earhart Museum in Kansas  (Read 7121 times)

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
New Earhart Museum in Kansas
« on: January 24, 2023, 05:02:42 AM »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: New Earhart Museum in Kansas
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 08:29:21 AM »

The museum is described in this video.  It seems to be basically for kids and some of the exhibits look like good educational experiences, but the video's description of the museum's centerpiece, the last surviving Electra built as a 10E, is total BS.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article274199965.html

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 08:30:35 AM »

CNN quotes the museum's founder Karen Seaburg,
“She was a suffragette. Because of her status and because people knew her, she met with President [Herbert] Hoover about getting women the vote.”

Earhart was not a suffragette. The 19th Amendment gave women the vote in 1920.  Earhart met with President Hoover on September 22, 1932. She was lobbying for passage of the Equal Rights Amendment.  The museum can't even get her actual accomplishments right.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 10:11:55 PM »

This past weekend I had the chance to be a part of the celebration with the opening of the Hangar Museum in Atchinson, Kansas. There was alot of fanfare with the grand opening but nicely done regarding the excess wind. Ric mentioned that the museum was driven towards children. I have to admit that it is true, but I think this also has a family flare to it. Where kids can bring their parents, grandparents, and teachers can bring their students as well. Overall, I think this museum will be an asset to the community of Atchinson, but will be an educational tool for years to come.

Don Yee

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 06:27:29 AM »

Is the last photo showing a standard feature of the plane or are they trying to simulate the custom patch?

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 02:43:48 PM »

Don ...that is a good question...Ric and I discussed this and I believe that if they were going to imitate the real patch then they would have to do it after our findings several years ago. Makes a good discussion as if this the correct way to do a patch and or what caused them to patch this plane in the first place.

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 03:01:14 PM »

Didn’t Ric go there when they were reskinning this Electra with real “patch” to check its fit on the framework

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 06:52:14 PM »

Hey Matt ...If I remember right and please step in at any time but the Electra they were restoring was a Peruvian mail plane on the outskirts of Newton Kansas

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 06:55:27 PM »

Think this is what you referring about. Please forgive me if it's not Peruvian..Thats what I remember them saying.

https://harveycountynow.com/all-news/news/features/restoring-aviations-past-to-fly-today

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 07:40:20 PM »

Thanks Randy you are right, I just remembered it was in Kansas
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org