Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 289558 times)

Jerry Stalheim

• TIGHAR member
  • TIGHAR# 5228R
Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #270 on: October 29, 2019, 04:46:43 PM »

Another new member introduction: ;D
My name is Jerry Stalheim I am in the private security field and am from way up in North Dakota. 

I became interested in this story way back in 1991 while watching a Robert Stack hosted episode of Unsolved Mysteries and seeing Ric talk about this theory and then going to the island and finding the evidence later in an "UPDATE". 

Then I found the Tighar website and have been scouring the wealth of information that has been gathered and am pretty much convinced that THIS is what happen to AE and FN.

I recently finally decided to become a Research Member of Tighar and hope that I can help in anyway to solve the mystery officially.

Thanks,
Jerry

LTM   
Thanks,

Jerry
5228R

LTM

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: October 30, 2019, 02:26:56 AM »

My name is Jerry Stalheim I am in the private security field and am from way up in North Dakota. 

I became interested in this story way back in 1991 ...

That's around the time that I first heard of TIGHAR, too.  But I was just using email mostly.  I didn't start surfing the web until 1995 and didn't find the website until 2000.  Once I did, I was hooked.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jerry Stalheim

• TIGHAR member
  • TIGHAR# 5228R
« Reply #272 on: October 30, 2019, 11:01:09 AM »

;D Right, sorry forgot to put in post that I found Tighar website later around 2000ish and have been scouring it every since, but yes I am totally hooked and thank you Martin for replying.  Hope to post and hear more from you and other members in the future.

Thanks
Jerry

LTM
Thanks,

Jerry
5228R

LTM

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #273 on: October 30, 2019, 04:24:27 PM »

Welcome Jerry!

The addiction causes us all to join sooner or later!
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Jerry Stalheim

• TIGHAR member
  • TIGHAR# 5228R
« Reply #274 on: November 01, 2019, 01:54:31 PM »

Thank you for the welcome Jeff I hope to help solve this mystery.

Jerry

LTM
Thanks,

Jerry
5228R

LTM

Don Yee

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #275 on: May 06, 2021, 03:48:02 PM »

Hello.
My name is Don and I'm a university professor (although my field has little to do with the AE mystery). I've been reading the forum for a few years and thought it was finally time to join. As a scientist I can say that the approach Tighar has used meets high standards for how one goes about supporting and refuting a hypothesis. I can't ever recalling reading a post by Ric or other "senior" members here that made me cringe when it comes to interpretation of the data.
Look forward to hearing what else you have to offer and may chime in to offer some ideas.

Keep up the good work.
Don...

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #276 on: May 06, 2021, 08:31:53 PM »

Welcome to the group Don! Always great to have another scholarly type involved. Glad you finally bit the bullet and came aboard!
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Roland Young

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #277 on: May 17, 2023, 05:18:46 PM »

Hello, happy to be here. I am Roland Young. At this time the name is accurate, I am but 27 years old. I joined for a couple of reasons. One, I've always been fascinated & interested in what happened to the two pilots in 1937, and TIGHAR seems to have the most logical take on actual evidence to support the castaway theory. Two, I am sad that these two people were stranded & met their fate, when it seems as though they were right on the edge of being rescued, and this sadness fuels my passionate interest in discovering, analyzing & preserving every bit of evidence to uncover as much of the true story as possible. I feel like Earhart & Noonan could have been rescued so easily, given what we know about the events today. It hurts to know that despite how close it was, they perished & can't tell the story in their own words. Breaks my heart thinking of the great things the two could have accomplished, had the search teams decided to scour Nikumaroro on July 2nd..even 3rd.  They were right there.

Currently I spend what little time I have in between a J-O-B to work on car projects, make music, & learn about the 1920s-1960s. I love cars from that stretch, and often wish I were around back then. Airplanes recently caught my attention from those eras, too, but I know far less about them.

I would love to live a life dedicated to combing over the entire Nikumaroro island & sharing what I find with the people who care most about the matter...but that would take Howard Hughes type freedom, a freedom I don't have. I want to help, and I'm not satisfied with only the TIGHAR membership I got, or a donation. I'm not sure though that I would be accepted among scholars & scientists, with only my kind spirit & passionate obsession, but all I want to do is is trek the island & unearth clues and evidence. I can at least do the grunt work, while I'm young...
-Roland

« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 05:21:27 PM by Roland Young »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: May 18, 2023, 01:01:03 AM »

Hello, happy to be here. I am Roland Young.

Welcome, Roland!  Glad to have you here.  Niku seems to be searched out.  You may be able to get in on some of TIGHAR's other projects.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 01:39:05 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #279 on: May 18, 2023, 04:57:04 AM »

Welcome Roland!

I WAS that same age, 27, when I joined TIGHAR back in 1988, and I can, and still do, share your enthusiasm for the Earhart mystery. I lived through some of the eras you admire and they were fun, and I'm sure there is more fun to come.

This forum will be more than happy to accept you, or anyone, who is looking to learn and explore the information that is discovered. As far as "scholars and scientists", those titles only officially apply to some of our members. The rest of us are eager enthusiasts and "detectives" looking for the answers. TIGHAR has come a LONG way in the years I have been with them. We have had many ups, a lot of downs, and taken some paths that turned out to be wrong-but that is where we admit our error, regroup and try again.

So, again, I say WELCOME! Grab your hat, and hang on for the ride- I'm sure it will be a interesting one!

Jeff Lange
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Roland Young

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #280 on: May 18, 2023, 05:10:11 PM »

Thank you both for the warm welcome. I hold the belief Niku has more to tell, but I know that may look like youngster ambition/stubbornness. From all the reading and videos though it seems others also believe the housing plots in the village may hold more info, as well as further down than the 10cm digs. Really too bad about the situation with the bones, and I want to find the missing ones possibly still in the island.

Really easy to digress on this topic, I only mean to express enthusiasm. Thank you for having me, I’m at your service.
-Roland

Chris Kuykendall

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #281 on: August 15, 2023, 07:11:22 AM »

Male, 74, landlubber, both water/ocean (Texas Panhandle youth far from the Gulf) and air/skies (infrequent flyer). Father had a rural grain elevator complex until the middle of my 6th grade year, and then we moved to town (Canyon, a college/tourism/farm center community). Freshman year there at (what's now) West Texas A&M. Then three years, UT Austin, B.A., Government, 1971. Peace Corps, but an early dropout (a main life failure), Linstead, Jamaica. Lived in Ohio (Berea area, SW Cleveland suburbs) for four years, the last two with a job at the Cleveland branch office of Xerox. Back to Texas, to UT for an M.P.Aff. at its LBJ School of Public Affairs, 1978. Summer internhip in D.C., between the two years of grad school, with the Africa Bureau of the U.S. Agency for International Development (AID) which was gearing up its response to the Sahelian drought from earlier in the decade. Edited professional papers for an orientation publication to be provided AID personnel heading for the field in Africa. Master's thesis equivalent on irrigated agriculture drawdown of the Texas portion of the Ogallala Aquifer.

Eventually 30 years (1980-2010) as a research associate, Texas Legislative Council, a nonpartisan agency in the legislative branch of state government. Spot research, publications, occasional legislative measure drafting (resolutions only--attorneys drafted the bills), and, early on (1984-1990), staffing of various special legislative study committees (mostly environmental topics) during the long interim periods when the legislature was not in its biennial 20-week sessions. Policy-related spot research was reactive to legislator requests and just document-based (no scientific experiments nor statistical-design studies). Sources: Texas statutes, other states' statutes, and federal statutes; holdings at the Texas state archives and a dozen or so nearby state, university, and private-sector libraries; the Internet; phone calls to National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) staffers in Denver and to governmental staffers in Texas and other states. Premium on info mining and assimilation, memo/report readability and accuracy, and precision of statement if that could be attained and drafting carefully fuzzier if not. Just the facts, no recommending anything. (The agency mantra was, "If you want to make policy, go work for a legislator.") Became eventually a go-to when a research project required tedious digging, especially if sleuthing historical records was required.

Began taking Science magazine, published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), a non-job extracurricular subscription, in 1980. Still take the magazine 43 years later. Became aware of TIGHAR after retirement, when a Betchart Expeditions brochure with an AAAS connection arrived in my home mailbox circa 2014, advertising a Nikumaroro expedition travel opportunity. Sounded interesting (a coincidence being that my brother, who died earlier this year, had a July 2, 1937 birthday). But, at $10K plus round-trip airfare, couldn't afford it (substantial monthly philanthropic contributions to a health-challenged, sub-insured neighbor). Also, at the time, a mistaken impression that the Betchart passengers were going to be full-fledged TIGHAR team members rather than tourist add-on groupies to the more carefully selected, skill-credentialed, TIGHAR experts. Considering myself to not be technically conversant in anything of use to TIGHAR, and never really an outdoorsman and with knee cartilage problems thrown in since my early 30s (kneeling is not my forte), I figured I couldn't contribute much Earhart-research value, anyway.

My brother never himself evidenced any Earhart mystery interest. A cousin near his age, likewise deceased, was a charter pilot and one-time crop duster. My San Antonio niece's husband, formerly in the reserves (e.g. cargo planes to Diego Garcia during post-9/11 U.S. military operations in Afghanistan), is a pilot for Delta and recently graduated to international flights for his last few years before retirement. However, I've never discussed TIGHAR topics with him. Joined TIGHAR this summer at the lowest level. Don't know my membership number. I've reviewed and taken extensive notes on Earhart topics, combing through all the issues of TIGHAR Tracks, 1988-present. While doing that, I ordered and read the 2009 paperback of Finding Amelia (hardbound 2006). Occasionally also, I sought and looked at Forum threads that various curiosities led to.

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #282 on: August 16, 2023, 05:46:39 PM »

Welcome Chris!
All are invited to join us and participate. You NEVER know what person might have the next tidbit of wisdon to propel any of the TIGHAR investigations forward!
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org