Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 289710 times)

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #240 on: September 21, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »

Welcome, Jim - glad to have you aboard.  Sounds like you bring some good experience with your career and work on the Tri-Pacers, sounds like a cool project.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

CJ Wyhs

• T1
« Reply #241 on: October 31, 2014, 03:12:41 AM »

Hello all, CJ here from Houston, Texas. My father was ex Air Force so I grew up with a love of history and all things aviation related. I was always that kid who could point at a plane and name it as it flew over. I just learned about TIGHAR while reading an article about the sidescan sonar image, so I checked out the site and couldn't join fast enough! I have always been fascinated with the disappearance of the Electra and am excited to see that this may finally be solved. What really peaked my interest was reading about the use of an ROV in the search. I currently work as a ROV Pilot/Supervisor in the Gulf of Mexico and am writing this from an oil rig 130 miles off the coast of Louisiana. I will definately be following the progress and am interested in the field school (whenever the next may be).

Wishing yall the best of luck,
CJ
ROV's, just like divers, only smarter!

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #242 on: October 31, 2014, 06:21:15 AM »

Welcome, CJ. You'll love field school. I learned more than I could ever possibly want to know that, yes, it IS possible to screen lumps of mud, in the rain, at College Park in 2005.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #243 on: November 23, 2014, 11:30:19 AM »

Welcome to the circus, Dan ... oh, wait, I mean, The well-structured, always-focused research endeavor.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #244 on: November 23, 2014, 07:09:58 PM »

Glad to have you aboard, Dan.  That's a great set of credentials too.

Col. Bill Mangus exemplifies the best of our work I think - I certainly agree with your observation.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #245 on: December 09, 2014, 08:49:07 AM »

I started to go back into the history of the sheet metal artifact
found but there was 70 some pages and I was overwhelmed.

Welcome, Bill!

I've read every post in that thread, and I am overwhelmed, too.

Here are some materials from TIGHAR's website that you should read when you get a chance:
The article on the wiki has been way outdated by these developments, I believe, although it is not all false.  I just haven't been able to devote time to going through it line-by-line to see what has been superseded by recent discoveries.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #246 on: December 09, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »

Welcome Bill, and thanks for letting us borrow your expertise when the time comes. The greatest advances can come from the most unlikely of sources, so we are always welcoming to newcomers.
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Margaret Sanders

• T1
  • Just a regular girl here!
« Reply #247 on: June 16, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »

I'll go next! I'm your average stay-at-home mom. As some of you probably know, that can be a mind-numbingly boring (although quite gratifying!) job. I found myself delving into endeavors such as citizen science to keep my mind sharp. I have always had that fascination with Amelia's story that is a common thread here. I still have the copy of Lost Star that, accurate or not, fed my curiosity as a child! It was just natural to look up TIGHAR's website after seeing a Discovery Channel(?) show. I've been lurking ever since. It was only recently that I finally made a very modest donation and felt brave enough to start commenting here and there on the forum.

As far as expertise, well, aside from correcting homework and pulling loose teeth and the like...I have none. I can pour Children's Tylenol to the correct line without having to look (I do look, just in case!) but wouldn't know an airplane part from a furniture leg. However, in addition to all the brilliant scientific minds here, maybe some abstract thinking can be an asset to the project.

Maggie
I'm no expert; just happy to be here.👀
#4777A

Steve Treadwell

• T1
« Reply #248 on: August 10, 2015, 05:12:55 PM »

Hi all.  I just got interested in the Earhart Gardner/Nikumaroro theory recently and have been doing a lot of reading on the TIGHAR web site.  I'm a retired electrical engineer, 69 years old, living in the Dallas, TX area.  I don't expect I'll be a frequent poster to the forum, but just wanted to say hello.

Mark Fuller

• T1
« Reply #249 on: August 30, 2015, 02:41:14 PM »

Hi all, I've followed and agreed with the Tighar Gardner Island theory for 25 years. It's my favorite mystery. I don't have the advanced credentials of so many on the forum, but I do work in the Laser Technology field and have worked on underwater laser probes for measuring silt particles kicked up when attack submarines "fly" close to the sea bed. I could only hope that somehow I could add to the solution to this mytery that Tighar has nearly resolved. I try to think of how by using laser instrumentation I could locate the Electra. ( ha...delusions of granduer). But I'll just say thanks for indulging my posts and wish Tighar good fortune in their quest. I just love the high level of intelligent deduction and applied technical knowledge that Tighar has brought to this topic. Thanks

Diane James

• T2
  • TIGHAR #4821A
« Reply #250 on: September 30, 2015, 08:58:51 AM »

Hi All.  I'm Diane, 42, in north-central Arizona, up at the mile-high level out of the desert heat.  I fly charter and flight instruct; my husband is also a pilot and we have our own little aviation company. Like Amelia, I've wanted to fly since childhood, and as you can imagine, she was my flying heroine while I was growing up. My mom pointed out to me early on that Fred Noonan in addition to being a famous navigator was a pilot in his own right. As I suppose is true of many of TIGHAR's membership, I have long found their disappearance to leave an empty spot in need of closure. Other than six thousand hours in small airplanes I don't bring any professional expertise to this table, just a burning desire to know what happened.
Diane James
TIGHAR #4821A

Steve D. Burk

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »

Greetings,
I have read the TIGHAR Forum for a number of years and have decided to join using the researcher category of membership.  I am retired and live in Prescott, AZ.  For about 30 years I worked at the Naval Research Laboratory, Marine Meteorology Division, Monterey, CA.  This is a branch of the Naval Research Laboratory located in Washington, DC.  I have a B.S. in physics from U.C. Berkeley and PhD in atmospheric physics from the University of Arizona.  During my career I was involved with the study (and numerical modeling) of the marine atmospheric boundary layer and, to some extent, atmospheric effects on electromagnetic (ship radar) propagation.  My principal academic interests these days are with general relativity and cosmology, and my main hobby is birding. I am very interested in the research of TIGHAR but have no expertise whatsoever in this field.
Steve Burk

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2015, 10:34:15 AM »

Welcome Steve

You don't have to have any specific background to participate, just being interested is a great start.

Enjoy.

Andrew

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #253 on: November 30, 2015, 11:25:08 AM »

Welcome aboard Steve. Rest assured, we'll put your expertise to good use.  One of TIGHAR's greatest strengths is that we attract folks like you. 65% of current TIGHAR members have a four-year degree.  30% have some kind of graduate degree. You're our kind of guy.

Steve D. Burk

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #254 on: November 30, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »

Thanks for the welcome, Ric.  Will I be assigned a Tighar researcher number?  Perhaps I already have been and am not aware of it.  Also, I presume I will now receive the 2015 Tighar Tracks, which I would prefer in PDF.  I'll be glad to assist in anyway that may be useful to Tighar, although I have no aviation background.  Thanks.
Steve Burk
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org