Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 289547 times)

Nicholas Heath

• T1
Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »

Hi all,

might as well get the first post out of the way ;D

a bit about me; I'm 21 and from  Wellington, New Zealand.
studying at Victoria University(BA in Public Policy and Politics)

I've always been fascinated by mysteries/disapearances of people, boats, whatever.

I guess not knowing what happened or knowing very little about any subject has led me to search out the information.
As you know beginning at one point inevitably leads to another etc etc.

The Earhart disappearance has always had my interest, once you have an inquisitive nature, it can become a slight obsession/hobby  ;D

anyway I hope to participate in the discussion arena and learn more about what TIGHAR are doing, and indeed any other historical events brought up

Cheers

Nick
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming s

Nicholas Heath

• T1
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 07:30:13 PM »

i've already post this but it can't hurt to do it again.

Hi all,

might as well get the first post out of the way Grin(2nd post now :))

a bit about me; I'm 21 and from  Wellington, New Zealand.
studying at Victoria University(BA in Public Policy and Politics)

I've always been fascinated by mysteries/disapearances of people, boats, whatever.

I guess not knowing what happened or knowing very little about any subject has led me to search out the information.
As you know beginning at one point inevitably leads to another etc etc.

The Earhart disappearance has always had my interest, once you have an inquisitive nature, it can become a slight obsession/hobby  Grin

anyway I hope to participate in the discussion arena and learn more about what TIGHAR are doing, and indeed any other historical events brought up

Cheers

Nick
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming s

Sheila Shigley

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 09:13:17 PM »

Hi folks!

Sheila Shigley, casual devotee of the subject since childhood; linguist by trade.  I have a particular interest in the radio transmissions/receptions, both professional and those reported by amateurs, and any clues buried in the language of the reported communications (for example why is the number "3" so prevalent in Betty Klenck's transcription; what/whom could "Marie" refer to, etc.)

Just found this forum - looking forward to more reading!

Daniel Paul Cotts

• T2
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »

what/whom could "Marie" refer to?

Fred Noonan married Mary Bea Martinelli of Oakland, California in 1937.

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »

A little about myself, I am retired from the USAF and currently work for the State of Nebraska as a IT Analyst.  While I was in the Air Force I spent most of my years overseas England, Korea, Panama (with many temporary duty assignments to places like Japan, Phillipines, Diego Garcia, Suriname, Japan, etc).  I know a little about uninhabited tropical islands especially after my assignment to Panama.  There are many uninhabited islands right off the coast of varying sizes as well as quite a few inhabitated only by the native Kunan Indians and we would often boat to these (off both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of Panama).  We would arrive with nothing more then a tent, water, first aid kit, diving gear (I am also a certified diver), fishing gear, and foodstuffs and spend a few days diving and fishing.  Obviously I have never been to Niko but I do believe that one unihabited tropical island would have much in common with another and am very cognizant of what would it takes to survive on one of these isles as well as some of the hazards that prevail.

LTM Don

Randy W Kerr

• T1
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 08:49:13 PM »

Hello to all, Just joined the site today.  Have been a fan of TIGHAR for some time, and am really interested in the progress being made in the search for AE.  I am an ex-Coast Guardsman who had the  good fortune to be stationed in the Pacific and had the opportunity to go through most of the Pacific Trust Territories ( this was the early 70s).  I am a Mixed Gas/ Saturation diver and a certified recompression chamber operator.  I am an avid flyer and have managed to earn a commercial pilot's certificate.  I live in the great state of Oregon.
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 03:27:15 PM »

Hello Folks

As there seems not to be an official introduction section, I thought I would do so here.
My name is Antonia, from the UK. I have been interested in AE for many years.
I have a Science background and love wreck diving.
I have read with great interest the information on this site, including the FAQ's.

I wonder if I may ask a question? or two?

Do you know what direction the wind was blowing on the island and its force in the days and weeks
after landing?
Did the Electra have an inflatable life raft, did they take it?

Kind regards

Antonia

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »

As there seems not to be an official introduction section, I thought I would do so here.

Yes, that is what this thread is for.

I wonder if I may ask a question? or two?

I'll answer here, even though the answers will be buried under "New Member Introduction" as the subject line.

Do you know what direction the wind was blowing on the island and its force in the days and weeks
after landing?

Not with any accuracy.  The prevailing winds are "easterlies."  But westerly storms are possible and can be quite devastating.  TIGHAR has seen very significant changes since it first visited Niku in 1989.

Did the Electra have an inflatable life raft, did they take it?

TIGHAR thinks that the Electra probably did not have a life raft.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »

Thanks for that information Marty.

I shall continue to study all the information on Tighar's pages, Fascinating !

Kind regards

Antonia

Ronald Lee Spang

• T1
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 11:04:20 AM »

I am retired and living in north San Diego County.  I spent over 30 years in local government, principally developing and implementing strategic plans for citywide and regional information systems.  Whatever success that I experienced in that process was often largely attributable to working collaboratively with others to achieve a desirable end result.  As the proverb says, "in the multitude of counselors there is accomplishment."  (Pr.15:22b)

The AE story has always been of interest to me and explanations that I heard were unsatisfying.  When recent newsmedia reports lead me to TIGHAR, I have found your work and process to be fascinating.  Your conclusions are reasonable and you present sound justifications for reaching them, without overhyping the work to date.  It is impressive how you include a multitude of counselors from a multitude of disciplines in this process and work collaboratively to achieve a desirable result. 

Best wishes to TIGHAR,
Ron Spang
Vista, CA

Nancy Marilyn Gould

• T1
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 06:31:13 PM »

I am an operations research analyst with the Navy at Patuxent River, MD.  So I work in naval aviation for a living.  

I found out about TIGHAR very recently as a result of reading about their discoveries on yahoo.  In one of the articles they mentioned that the leader of the research, Gillespie, had written a book.  So I purchased "Finding Amelia" and "Amelia Earhart's Shoes" and that got me hooked.  

One of the things I found particularly convincing was reading about the statistical procedures they used to analyze the bones.  I have an M.S. in statistics and remember learning about those very techniques, so I knew exactly what they were doing.  It was fascinating to see a procedure that I learned in school applied to this particular problem.  (The example we learned about in school was to take measurements on a bug and classify which species it was from--not nearly as fascinating as taking measurements of bones and trying to see if they were consistent with AE).

I have always greatly admired AE.  I am an instrument-rated private pilot, so I also enjoy reading articles about aircraft accidents and understanding what went wrong.  When JFK Jr. crashed, I analyzed that extensively because I used to fly a lot over that area and knew it well.  The reason I got an instrument rating was to avoid a situation like Kennedy's.  But that's another story.

I agree completely with the navigators who said that the logical thing for AE and FN to do would have been to stay on the line (heading south) that they knew would intersect an island.  Why would anybody fly until they crash-landed into water if you know there are islands in the vicinity?  

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:33:32 PM by Nancy Marilyn Gould »

jeff f

• T1
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »

my humble opinion
ae had a fleeting existence on Niku
seven site unlikely a planned habitation
perhaps ae wandered the island in desperation and died at the seven site with her survival gear (her pocketbook ?)
since ae's "visit" there has been 25 years of habitation (1938-1963) with as many as 100 residents.
campfires garbage and general detritis of living are likely everywhere ...separating ae's wisp from all that is challenging at best
cant help but smile when i think of 25 coast guard boys with nothing to do over here...
and  native girls with nothing to do over there...
kept them apart for a year and a half ??
niku 7 concentrating on the plane seems dead on
after 75 years searching for remnants of 7,000 pounds of plane seems like the best bet
stating the obvious ...
if ae was on niku then the electra is near niku
and the information it would yield trumps all !
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:11:24 AM by jeff f »
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 07:39:32 AM »

Hi all,
I'm new here, joined the forum today. My name is Oskar, I'm 54 years old and I am from Austria. Therefore my English is a little bit limited! Please excuse this!
Since I was a child, I am very interested in history of aviation. I'm not an AE-fan, but I know about here since I am able to think. Some years ago, I was interested more and more in the Earhart-mystery. Read 14 books about her disappearance, including "Finding Amelia" of course! Ric, thank you very much for all the investigation you and your team have done. I am very, very impressed of your working-style, but I confess I'm not quite sure if TIGHAR is right. I cannot believe the Electra was washed off the shore within 7 days, making Lambrecht nothing to see. ("Signs of recent habitation?" That's not very much, if we remember that the "Norwich City" stranded there...)
I hope the lab will tell us you are right. I would be very pleased!
Regards
Oskar Haberlandt
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:50:02 PM by Oskar Erich Heinrich Haberlandt »

Roger Ward

• T1
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »

Greetings from Ohio.

I posted an introduction elsewhere, then find this thread. Just my luck. At any rate, here is what I wrote there as well:

I'm a long time aviation enthusiast, particularly those aircraft of WWII. Thus, the site is one that fits my interests in that regard.

I actually stumbled on the site quite by accident some time back as I was looking for some information for my daughter, who was doing a project on Amelia Earhart. Prior to that time, I was vaguely aware of "alternative theories" to the standard "ran out of fuel, crashed in the ocean." theory. After reviewing the evidence presented on the site I was highly impressed with the efforts to use good scientific and forensic investigative techniques in furthering the research on subject.

I'm a lawyer by profession, with a part-time job as a medic in the Army National Guard. I am not sure I can be particularly insightful or helpful, but if I believe I have anything to add, I will certainly do so.

Cynthia M Kennedy

• T1
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 07:50:59 PM »

I've been reading the forum for some time now, but just joined TIGHAR today.  I grew up hearing my mother's stories about AE (she was a child when AE disappeared).  I'm an educator, and I have also been doing genealogical research for many years.  I am particularly interested in the post-loss radio messages--and especially in finding out if there are more records of credible messages out there.

Cindy Kennedy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org