Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 289589 times)

Don Dollinger

• T3
New Member Introduction
« on: November 23, 2010, 08:03:03 AM »

Very interested in everything AE and FN.  Have looked at all the theories and believe that the one that makes the most sense is TIGHARs.  Have been lurking for quite sometime and think I may be able to add to some of these forums. 

A little about myself, I am retired from the USAF and currently work for the State of Nebraska as a IT Analyst.  While I was in the Air Force I spent most of my years overseas England, Korea, Panama (with many temporary duty assignments to places like Japan, Phillipines, Diego Garcia, Suriname, Japan, etc).  I know a little about uninhabited tropical islands especially after my assignment to Panama.  There are many uninhabited islands right off the coast of varying sizes as well as quite a few inhabitated only by Kunan Indians and we would often boat to these (off both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of Panama).  We would arrive with nothing more then a tent, water, first aid kit, diving gear, fishing gear, and foodstuffs and spend a few days diving and fishing.  Obviously I have never been to Niko but I do believe that one tropical island would have much in common with another and am very cognizant of what would it takes to survive on one of these isles as well as some of the hazards that prevail.

LTM

Don Dollinger

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:19:42 PM »

Hi Don!

Glad you've joined us.  I to am a lurker but have managed to make a few posts of which some I hope are useful.

I have no back ground in aviation and until coming across TIGHAR and their work knew next to nothing about AE and her round the world flight.

I’ve always been interested in mysteries such as the sinking of the Titanic and the great explorers of the 19th and early 20th century.  It was during the expedition to discover the fate of the Everest explorers Mallory and Irvine (similar in its scientific analysis and research) that something in the back of my mind remembered a tale of an American Lady flier who had disappeared in the Pacific and may have been found.  Google did the rest and now I’m hooked.

I live in the north of England and work in a high school looking after the buildings and computers.  My profile picture shows me posing during a field hockey game of which I am an umpire in the North West of England.

I also have a small link to the whole mystery as I was born and grew up in the Town of Bideford and Devon where the Norwich City was last registered.

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 10:54:47 AM »

So I don't know how you all work but most places I visit like that there is a introduction thread. I didn't see one so I started this one, I hope that is OK.  I am here because of Fox News, well the piece they did on your Finger, Bone fragments.  I then find out there was a 2 hour piece on Discovery (that I missed :().  I am from New York, Long Island and  have been a big fan of (mostly Sea Borne) mystery's. The biggest one I have actually done some work on was the Cyclops. Nothing ever really amounting to anything, just private research.  I am stunned at the work you have done here and the plausibility of your hypothesis. It is astounding to think they were right there this entire time (if true).  

I have also spent some time as a Living Historian (Re-enacter to the rest of the world). Most of my work her was with the Airborne in WWII. I have always been a sucker for a good mystery. Land, Sea or air borne mystery. Besides the Cyclops I have often wondered about "Flight 19" and if anyone here had any history or interest in that subject.

I'll be the first to admit I have a bunch of reading here and learning to catch up on. But if there is anything this Computer Tech can offer in the way of Research, exploring or anything let me know. Great work so far, now I am off to get a coffee, cigar and do some reading.

Thank you for the work on all of this.
"Hang Tough"
Rich

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:58:38 AM by moleski »

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 11:42:12 AM »

Yes it would be nice to have a "memebr introduce yourself thread" Maybe Marty could anchor one somewhere prominant?

There was one here, right at the foot of the forum

https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,222.0.html
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:58:52 AM by moleski »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 12:03:58 PM »

Yes it would be nice to have a "member introduce yourself thread" Maybe Marty could anchor one somewhere prominent?

I've renamed this topic and made it "sticky," FWIW.

If that works, great; if not, we can try something else.

Folks who have never introduced themselves or who wish to re-introduce themselves may, of course, feel free to do so in this new thread.

I'm a Jesuit priest teaching Introduction to Religious Studies ("Lose Your Faith 101") and topics in systematic theology at a small Jesuit college in Buffalo, NY.  I've been involved with TIGHAR for about ten years or so.  I have the privilege of serving on the Earhart Project Advisory Committee.  With (Sgt., retired) Roger Kelley, I went to Suva, Fiji, in 2003 to look for Amelia's bones.  I serve as root administrator on the website under the direction of Pat Thrasher, Webmistress and Fac Totum of TIGHAR. 
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 12:47:21 PM »

Wow, first post and I already got a Pin. It is nice to meet you, well virtually! I've been doing computer work for 20 years now and amateur research on projects for 3 or 4. Some of that work was on WWII events. One that I was part of should be coming to the History Channel soon. It was on the Brecourt Manor Assault made famous in Band of Brothers. You can find their website here: http://brecourtmanor.net/.

I look forward to seeing this project develop and hopefully conclude here in the near future. 
"Hang Tough"
Rich

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »

Well as i've had some input on this i'll repeat myself (sorry)

I have no back ground in aviation and until coming across TIGHAR and their work knew next to nothing about AE and her round the world flight.

I’ve always been interested in mysteries such as the sinking of the Titanic and the great explorers of the 19th and early 20th century.  It was during the expedition to discover the fate of the Everest explorers Mallory and Irvine (similar in its scientific analysis and research) that something in the back of my mind remembered a tale of an American Lady flier who had disappeared in the Pacific and may have been found.  Google did the rest and now I’m hooked.

I live in the north of England and work in a high school looking after the buildings and computers.  My profile picture shows me posing during a field hockey game of which I am an umpire in the North West of England.

I also have a small link to the whole mystery as I was born and grew up in the Town of Bideford and Devon where the Norwich City was last registered.

If you feel comfortable then introduce yourself.  Just remember that this is an open foram so anything you write can be seen by anyone online so only disclose what you are comfortable to do so.

Phil O'Keefe

• T1
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 05:18:29 PM »

Another new forum member checking in. :)

My name is Phil O'Keefe. I am an audio engineer and music industry journalist. I am the associate editor at www.harmony-central.com and serve as a site admin and forum moderator over there too. I live and work in southern California; primarily from my own studio - www.ssrstudio.com

I'm also a bit of a amateur history and aviation buff. I decided to register over here due to some questions and thoughts I have regarding the search for Amelia on Gardner / Nikumaroro.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:22:57 AM by Phil O'Keefe »

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »

Well, I've been here quite a while, but I guess I'll introduce myself:

I'm Ashley. I live in Arizona, and I'm currently a part-time college student working on majoring in either Education (Secondary Education American History Teacher) or Anthropology (Forensic). I've been fascinated with Amelia for quite some time; she's an inspiring woman. :) I honestly don't remember how I first heard about TIGHAR, but upon reading the Niku hypothesis, it seems very reasonable (as I've always believed the crash and sink theory). I'm really impressed of what all of you have turned up so far; as far as evidence goes, it's very convincing.

Should you wish to contact me besides here, my email is baby_june1745@yahoo.com.

Well, that's me! ;D

LTM,

~Ashley

Mark Petersen

• T3
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 01:24:42 AM »

I've been a Tighar member for about 3 years, but I don't think that I've ever formally introduced myself so here it goes:

For the past 30 years or so I've worked as an engineer in San Diego CA.  Initially in aerospace, then wireless telecommunications and most recently in the video broadcast and compression field.  I'm a certified Diver and have dove in the tropics and had an opportunity to spend about a month on a dive trip in various islands in Fiji.  I've always been an aviation buff, WW2 warbirds were my passion as a child.  I think I read about every book about WW2 fighter aces that had ever been written by the time I graduated from middle school.  Not surprisingly then that I read about Tighar's early work with the Swamp Ghost and later with the first Earhart announcements.  It wasn't until I found the Tighar Website in about 2007 (thanks Marty!) that I had a chance to read more about Tighar and join. 

I'm not that knowledgeable about Earhart herself, and I'm mostly intrigued about the disappearance and the fine research that Ric and crew have done.  Like a lot of the other people here, I'm intrigued by mysteries and I have read Ric's book, Ballard's book on the Titanic and also the book by those who found Mallory.  I believe that Tighar is on the cusp of a major discovery that will be just as epic if not more so than the others.  It's an interesting story to follow, particularly so because it hasn't been completely written yet.  The real reward however is in the journey rather than in the destination.  If the smoking gun is never found, I will still have found this to be one of the most interesting stories that I have followed. 

LTM, 
Mark Petersen  #2850

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 05:26:03 AM »

It wasn't until I found the Tighar Website in about 2007 (thanks Marty!) that I had a chance to read more about Tighar and join. 

I appreciate the kind thoughts, but the thanks are due to TIGHAR members, researchers, and benefactors, who make everything we do possible, and most especially to Pat Thrasher who labored alone on the TIGHAR website for many years laying the foundation of what you see today.  It was reading the material that she and Ric had assembled that got me involved--just like you, except that I stumbled across the website a few years earlier.   :)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »

I'll jump on the bandwagon and introduce myself as well.  I'm Friend Weller (yes, that's my real name) and I'm an associate member of TIGHAR and a big fan of exploration utilizing the cutting edge of technology.  Whether it be Franklin and the the Northwest Passage, Shackleton and the South Pole, Mallory at Everest or Ballard and the Titanic, mysteries like this fascinate me.  I find the Earhart/Noonan mystery especially intriguing.  I'm the chief engineer at Utah Public Radio and have had the pleasure of interviewing Ric in an hour-long interview which was heard all across the state of Utah.  I also teach a class in radio which covers the impact radio can have.  While many find the analysis of the 1938 War of the Worlds broadcast interesting, I find the backstory behind the post-disappearance radio reports even more riveting, especially the account of the log made by Betty Klenck.  I enjoyed the recent Discovery Channel show (watched it twice!) and I check the website daily.  When I spoke with Ric, I commented that he's "got the smoke from the smoking gun, just not the smoking gun itself" (I think he liked that analogy!).  I look forward to the day when we'll have that 'smoking gun' giving closure to one of the great mysteries of the 20th century.

LTM,
Friend, TIGHAR #3086
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Mark Petersen

• T3
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 01:19:38 PM »

It wasn't until I found the Tighar Website in about 2007 (thanks Marty!) that I had a chance to read more about Tighar and join. 

I appreciate the kind thoughts, but the thanks are due to TIGHAR members, researchers, and benefactors, who make everything we do possible, and most especially to Pat Thrasher who labored alone on the TIGHAR website for many years laying the foundation of what you see today.  It was reading the material that she and Ric had assembled that got me involved--just like you, except that I stumbled across the website a few years earlier.   :)

Thanks Marty for putting credit where credit is due.  I didn't realize that Pat put together the early website (thanks Pat!).  One thing that I've really liked about Tighar is the team work involved.  Tighar has amassed an amazing amount of information on the AE/FN disappearance and this could never have happened without the selfless dedication of an impressive group of members under the unpretentious tutelage of folks like Ric and Pat. 

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 01:24:22 PM »

I didn't realize that Pat put together the early website (thanks Pat!).  ...

No past tenses for Pat, please!

She is still the Webmistress and adds new material every week or so.   ;)

I'm the root administrator on the server and specialize in the wiki, the News software (not the content), and this selfsame Forum.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Mark Petersen

• T3
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 01:33:28 PM »

Oh that clears it up.  Hmm.. Webmistress, just doesn't sound dignified though :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org