Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 289581 times)

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2012, 06:06:29 AM »

Welcome Brian

Of all the Forum posters, you had to pick on me? :-) 

Thanks for the endorsement!  Maybe I am thinking straight.  Actually, one reason I sound like I know what I'm talking about is only because I've been out there three times.  Brings a lot of reality to my speculation.

Enjoy the fray.

Andrew

Brian Ainslie

• T1
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2012, 09:30:04 AM »

Hi all - Thanks for the welcome.

Good points Jeff. Reading through a lengthy thread about the overflight, etc, I think one point that few (if any) folks made was regarding a signal. Reasonable people can debate the ability of the searchers to find the survivors under varying circumstances, but a clear signal, even if designed to be seen by a ship at see would also likely be seen from an airplane. Further, wouldn't one need to make multiple signals for a ship as it could be coming from any number of directions? Maybe that is a point in favor of moving to the Seven Site....but, again, if they had that ability to explore, it does seem odd that there wasn't a signal that didn't rely on human intervention (lighting a fire, being awake, getting out of the jungle, etc.).

Someone made the point that if the survivor(s) did miss the Navy flight, they would have been sure to leave a signal behind to prevent a future "miss". That logic (assuming they/she/he were/was physically able) is pretty clear. It does seem improbable that such a signal woul dnot have then been discovered by later vistors to the island.

Not trying to debate issue myself as I have limited knowledge/exposure to this topic, but thuoght perhaps other minds would like to take this ball and run with it? Should I post this in another thread (or a new one)?

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2012, 11:08:15 AM »

Valid point Brian. I would put it into the Colorado/ Lambrecht search thread and let it run.
This must be the place

Jim Doughty

• T1
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2012, 10:27:59 AM »

Hello all,

I'm an armchair devotee of TIGHAR's approach to the Earhart-Noonan mystery, and a longtime "lurker" on these forum pages and the Earhart Project site in general.

I have no training or expertise in aviation, archaeology, SAR, radio propagation, island ecology or any of the other disciplines that go into this quest. My profession is writing - originally as a newspaper reporter, and for the last many years in PR and marketing.

What I appreciate about this community is its ability to combine passion and curiosity on the one hand with rigor and objectivity on the other. I hope the contributions I make to this discussion will uphold that standard.

Thanks
LTM
Jim Doughty
Chapel Hill, N.C.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »

Jim Doughty
Chapel Hill, N.C.

Welcome, Jim!

My Mom and one of my sisters live in Fearington Village, Pittsboro, not far from Chapel Hill.  :)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2012, 11:14:30 AM »

Welcome Jim----
feel free to write to your hearts content! I too have relatives living in Chapel Hill/Cary, area.
Great thing about TIGHAR, is that you dont have to have a scientific profession to be involved. Curiousity, passion, and being able to spell :o helps!
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Thom Boughton

• T2
  • Infinite Rider on The Big Dogma
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »

Jim,

Hello and welcome from the Triad

.....tb
TIGHAR #3159R

Kirstin M. Campbell

• T1
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »

Hullo all.  I go by Kateri or KC and I currently live in Suffolk, VA.  I'm retired Navy Helicopter Search & Rescue/Logistics crewchief as of '08.  Did quite a few flights between Puerto Rico and Flordia in a Sea King using only TACAN which in my 20's was quite thrilling.  Later I crewed an even more exciting hop from Bahrain to the Seychelles via Kenya in a King Air.  Past the halfway point between Kenya and Victoria Island we kept losing all nav aides but for sporadic ADF.  Fortunately we were able to eventually contact their tower and get vectors.  That was chilling but we made it there and back so I can grin about it.  When not flying I worked as a structural mechanic doing metal fabrication on aircraft or working on the hydraulics, flight controls or tires.  Nowadays I work as a 3D Modeler/Animator and 2D Graphic artist.

Just found TIGHAR yesterday and have been snooping around with my usual skepticism to see if this was valid or another hoax as is so prevalent on the internet.  I've dabbled in this and that scientific pursuit as a hobby over the years and I was pleased to see how well and carefully things are done here.  I've never read up on Earhart much though I was familiar with the disappearance that has never been solved.  I've liked things well enough that I'm hoping I can find some way to contribute to the research somehow.  I've read the wish list at least further down the forum to see if there is something to begin mulling over.  I'll be getting a membership soon.  Thx and keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:15:41 PM by Kirstin M. Campbell »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2012, 05:00:44 AM »

Hey KC---welcome to the wonderful world of TIGHAR! Lots of great people, some of us are even into airplanes!  ;D Great to have you here.
Tom

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2012, 06:57:58 PM »

Hi Everyone! I'm a newbie and a long-time devotee of Amelia Earhart (I did A papers on her in 3rd and 5th grade)! Unfortunately, I have no skills to bring to the search--I used to be a professional pool player (playing under my maiden name Gloria Walker), so unless Amelia and Fred had a pool table in the back on a gyroscope, I can only add my thoughts and perspective to the search! I gave up pool, because of the travel involved, to be home with my kids and am now a teacher. I live in West Chester, PA, not far from Wilmington, DE (I have a brother living in Arden, DE, in Wilmington area). I love, love, love reading through the TIGHAR website and am admittedly addicted! If I decide to go back to pool and can 'hustle' some big money I'll donate it all to TIGHAR (haha).

I see many forum members repeating things already discussed, so how best can I search to find out if there has been a discussion about something like where might that missing tooth be that was among the 13 bones sent--Gallagher said there were 5, Hoodless reported only 4.

Thanks all!   
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:30:57 PM by Gloria Walker Burger »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2012, 07:12:54 PM »

Hi Everyone! I'm a newbie and a long-time devotee of Amelia Earhart (I did and A papers on her in 3rd and 5th grade)! Unfortunately, I have no skills to bring to the search--I used to be a professional pool player (playing under my maiden name Gloria Walker), so unless Amelia and Fred had a pool table in the back on a gyroscope, I can only add my thoughts and perspective to the search! I gave up pool, because of the travel involved, to be home with my kids and am now a teacher. I live in West Chester, PA, not far from Wilmington, DE (I have a brother living in Arden, DE, in Wilmington area). I love, love, love reading through the TIGHAR website and am admittedly addicted! If I decide to go back to pool and can 'hustle' some big money I'll donate it all to TIGHAR (haha).

I see many forum members repeating things already discussed, so how best can I search to find out if there has been a discussion about something like where might that missing tooth be that was among the 13 bones sent--Gallagher said there were 5, Hoodless reported only 4.

Thanks all!

Welcome to forum's Gloria

Your the first person to bring that up about the missing tooth, that went A.W.O.L in transit from Gallagher to Fiji, No doubt one of the forum admin will provide you with a link to mentioned topic, I have been meaning to ask about this, But learned quickly that any question possible to ask Tighar, Has probably been discussed  else were on forum, BUT dont let that deter you,  :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2012, 08:06:50 PM »

Thanks Richie!
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »

Welcome, Gloria.

Here are about a dozen methods for searching for material on the website.

There hasn't been a discussion of the missing tooth on this version of the Forum (since 2009).

I don't remember any extended discussion on the old Forum (conducted via e-mail).
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2012, 09:45:17 PM »

Thanks, Marty!
Gloria
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »

Welcome Gloria. Everyone has something to contribute here, so feel free!!!
Tom

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org