Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 289616 times)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2012, 03:18:29 PM »

Welcome Dave from someone else without all those credentials! We too share some interests--space flight, etc. This group of members is diverse, so alot of opinions out there. Join in----its fun!
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2012, 02:14:14 PM »

Welcome John forum member 666  :o

Bill Roe

• T3
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2012, 09:08:57 PM »

Thankfully an intro thread.  I'm "Bill".  And, coincidentally, reside around the corner from TIGHAR's offices in DE.  and, coincidentally, originated near Oswego, NY - Richard Gillespie's alma mater.

Discovered your group by accident today - your "Devastator Project" while researching Douglas Aircraft.  My experience - driving Douglas Skyraider out of Thailand and Laos for USAF/Air America.

Here's a coupla contacts you may already have:
1.)  Since 2004 - trying to locate my A-1E.  Found Dan Hagedorn, Archives Research Team Leader and Adjunct Curator for the National Aerospace Museum - DC.  {HagedornD@si.edu}.  He has, on a combination of 16mm and 35mm microfilm, aircraft history cards and status reports of military aircraft in active service between 1911 and 1986.
2.)  While visiting Bernie Fisher's MOH A-1E at the National USAF Museum I met Marvin Cross - curator and historian for the Viet Nam section.  {mlcross@woh.rr.com}.  Lotsa information and a super guy.
Anyway for military/combat aircraft research ............

Amelia and Fred are still alive and living in Blue Ball, PA., converted to the Amish religion and produced 17 children all named "Electra".  Now that that mystery is solved, can y'all get back to the Devastator Project?  Huh?  Please?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2012, 10:08:16 PM »

Now that that mystery is solved, can y'all get back to the Devastator Project?  Huh?  Please?

There may be some progress being made behind the scenes.  I heard something at the Symposium which suggested that the project is not entirely dead in the water.

Pun intended.  You may laugh now.   8)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

John Hart

• T1
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2012, 01:15:27 PM »

Hello, I am John Hart.  Entered the AF during the Walton years so they named me Johnboy.  Fought it like hell so it stuck.  31 years and counting in USAF (8 regular and 23 as full-time Reserve).  Pilot with mostly F-16 time but also briefly flew the F-4 (~3200 total hours).  But now in my 50s I fly a D4D (desk 4 drawer).  Expect to retire in 2014 and get to go on adventures such as TIGHAR as I am an avid history buff (majored in Mil History at USAF Academy).  I will mostly follow the well developed threads here and would only expect to add when I think I might have something useful.  I have flown many hours overwater both at very low altitude and high so I know a little about environmentals although I was going significantly faster than 130 KIAS and using INS and later GPS for Nav, not a sextant.  I am extensively read in 20th century history and Dr. Ballard must have had the same tooth fairy as me as I was always fascinated with the prospect of what Titanic, Bismarck, Yorktown, et al look like today on the sea bottom.  But of course I never had the wherewithal to pursue that interest even if you could find me in a tiny submersible (or even a big one at that...give me air all around if something goes wrong!).  The mystery of AE ties together that nautical and aviation interest as no other can do and I am fascinated by the effort.  I have read a lot of the website but barely touched the surface so I apologize up front if I ever jump in to add something already considered and discarded.

Wondering the meaning of LTM...

JB

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »

Wondering the meaning of LTM...

Wonder no more, John.  Click here to read the very first FAQ item ("Love To Mother") that answers that oft-asked question.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

John Hart

• T1
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2012, 04:06:36 PM »

Thanks, it was a little question and some historical "filler" too.  For those who would understand why Halsey would be upset at "the world wonders...".  There is much more I will wonder about and hopefully you will indulge my questions even though the information can be found elsewhere on your site.  I have been on many forums like this one and the volume of things to read exceeds my timeframe for browsing.  My wife is already concerned  but I admit your registration page forewarned me.  LTM as the world wonders.

JB

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »

I have been on many forums like this one and the volume of things to read exceeds my timeframe for browsing.  My wife is already concerned  but I admit your registration page forewarned me.

Well, John, it is a daunting task if one just browses indiscriminately (although that can be fun, too).  But happily we have a wonderful list of the principal material under broad categories. 

If you're a Wikipedia kind of guy, we've got that too:  Ameliapedia.  You know the old saying:  "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."  ;)

LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2012, 05:16:18 PM »

Hey John, and welcome from the peanut gallery! Best seat in the house for all things TIGHAR, AE, and sometimes history. Certainly, and by all means, join in the fun. Many members here, alot of expertise, and even some of that wishes we had expertise ;D.
Your aviation expertise will be very welcome here.
Tell your wife its ok-- we dont bite----YET!
Tom--
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2012, 06:03:43 PM »

My wife is already concerned  but I admit your registration page forewarned me.  LTM as the world wonders.

Throw your wife off the track by logging off the Internet and reading some very excellent compilations of the material that's on the TIGHAR website, in the form of two books -- click on the links below for extended summaries of them both.  Available where fine books are sold -- even in many public libraries.

1.  Amelia Earhart's Shoes, written by a quartet of TIGHARs.  It's a very easy-to-read book that tells both Amelia's story and TIGHAR's work on the Niku Hypothesis, with lots of humorous anecdotes and asides about TIGHAR's expeditions to Nikumaroro.  Be sure to get the 2004 edition, which is extensively updated from the original 2001 edition.

2.  Finding Amelia, The True Story of the Earhart Disappearance, written by Ric Gillespie.  It's a very scholarly presentation of the facts of Amelia's flight, published by the US Naval Institute Press.

Only after you've become steeped in the entire story, scratching your head wondering about many loose threads, would I think you could fully appreciate the great story-telling in a recent novel by Tom King:  Thirteen Bones

I bought all three books in December 2010, after having read the first two out of a library, and re-read those first two immediately.  But I waited until last month to dive into Thirteen Bones -- and I'm glad I did wait, for while it's a good read, working to absorb a lot about the factual material from the Forum and the website helped me admire and enjoy the fictional mortar that Tom used to provide answers to various nagging questions.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2012, 02:00:21 AM »

John,

bite the bullett like me and just admit you've got another women in your life! (+ a bloke and a big silver plane and a pacific attol + some guys in the states)

James Williamson

• T1
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2012, 05:08:41 PM »

Greetings all!

My name is James and I live in Christchurch, New Zealand. My hobbies include photography and (of course) aviation (which leads to aviation photography).
I have been lurking around here for awhile now, reading countless amounts of pages of information (I've become somewhat addicted) and have finally fallen victim to this forum. I am eagerly keeping up to date with the current expedition and each day I look forward to seeing the daily reports they post.
I look forward to reading more about the Amelia Earhart mystery and joining in on topics in this forum.

Cheers!
James.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2012, 05:24:01 PM »

Welcome to the forum James. You are, obviously, going to fit right in with the rest of us.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Anthony Allen Roach

• T2
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2012, 10:55:29 AM »

I'm a lawyer, a former naval officer, a lifelong fan of aircraft, and a history nut.

Like many others, I first encountered the mystery of Amelia Earhart while growing up, and always assumed that she ran out of fuel and crashed and sank.  After all, the Pacific Ocean is a pretty big place.

I attended the United States Naval Academy from 1990 to 1994.  In the spring of 1993, my father visited the Academy to attend a Naval Institute seminar.  As a member of the Naval Institute, he had attended the seminar both to visit me, and to attend some other portion of the seminar that is now lost to my memory (probably not important anyway  ;)).  Somehow, the presentation that TIGHAR was giving spread by word of mouth like wildfire through the yard.  During a break in classes, I was able to locate my father and his Naval Institute friends, who had somehow wandered into TIGHAR's presentation and debate.  This was the first I had heard of TIGHAR and what was then called the Gardner Island hypothesis.  I had already taken the Academy's course on celestial navigation, and had sailed with the Command Seamanship Training Squadron.  I was also majoring in history.  The presentation by TIGHAR was fascinating.  Later during the seminar, I attended a dinner in Dahlgren Hall.  The dinner was abuzz with talk of TIGHAR's presentation.  All of the Naval Institute members that I spoke with that evening were impressed with Mr. Gillespie's presentation and the revelation of facts that many were either unaware of, or assumed lost to the ages.

I graduated in 1994, and went to serve in the engineering department on the USS Duluth (LPD 6).  I transferred to the reserves in 1998, and worked as a historical aircraft restorer for the San Diego Aerospace Museum for several months, while waiting to go to law school.  While at the museum, I encountered many volunteers who were again discussing TIGHAR, and the things that they had found on Nikumaroro.  Some museum members were big fans of TIGHAR, and others were staunch critics.  We would have heated debates over lunch, and it was impressive listening to the various opinions and knowledge from people involved in the history of aviation.

I now practice law in Los Angeles, but one of my big distractions for years has been following TIGHAR on the internet, and reading many forum posts.  It is wonderful to have this forum, and catch up on the things that I had first encountered so many years ago.
"Six the Hard Way."

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2012, 11:13:10 AM »

Welcome to the Forum Anthony. I'm not sure we need another lawyer--on the other hand, with all of your qualifications, maybe you can "challenge" Gary LaPook. Most of us aren't smart enough to question what he says ;). Go for it.

Again, welcome! Glad to have you. :D
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org