Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 289740 times)

Wayne Cordes

• TIGHAR member
Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2013, 11:59:22 PM »

Hi everyone,

My name is Wayne and I have been a longtime lurker on TIGHAR. I enjoy reading about aviation archaeology on the 'net but Project Earhart has my undivided attention. I have a B.A. in US History and work in the aviation industry.

I want to send my sincere admiration and kudos to the TIGHAR team and community for all of the hard work that has been done so far in this particular project. I am especially excited about the tin box photo find of late as well as the sonar anomaly. I can't wait to see what is next. With that said, I hope I can contribute modest assistance and an eagle eye to upcoming and ongoing research around here. Thanks for having me.

Wayne

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »

Wayne wrote:
I hope I can contribute modest assistance and an eagle eye to upcoming and ongoing research around here.

Welcome Wayne! Eagle eyes are always welcome  ::)
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Mark Appel

• T3
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »

I've neglected to post on the new member forum, so permit me to correct that mistake... Like so many of you I've been a longtime stalker, and I'm sorry about that. Should have joined long ago. TIGHAR's efforts are at the confluence of so many of my private obsessions: great mysteries, history of all sorts, all things aviation and military. But it's the integrity of the work and adherence to the scientific method that impress and draw me most.

It's so ironic that on the heels of my new Researcher Membership comes this whacky legal action that fundamentally questions the very integrity that attracted me. (Boy, can I pick 'em! :) There are folks of keen minds and good hearts here. TIGHAR will prevail.

Congratulations to Ric and all. It's a pleasure to help in any small way I can...

"Credibility is Everything"

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2013, 08:15:45 PM »

I'm with Christine! I have to admit that, as interesting as the AE disappearance is, the "White Bird" is a bit more fascinating to me.  If I lived in Maine I'd probably be spending a lot of time in swamps looking for that thing!

Laura Gridley

• T1
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2013, 02:48:19 AM »

Welcome Wayne, Christine, and Mark! 

I agree the L’Oiseau Blanc mystery is very interesting as well.  Would love to see that one solved.

Lisa Grinnell

• T1
« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »

Thanks Christine. I too am a recent lurker, now an addict of this forum. This is my first post. When I was younger, the issue of whether Amelia Earhart’s plane or fate was ever discovered was not important to me.  I was drawn to this site only after reading about the lawsuit in the media. I wondered why someone would sue when an answer seems so close at hand.

I was then struck when viewing the recently discovered sonar image of a long, slender, perhaps human-made object approximating the size of her plane.  I remembered that a close friend had given me a model of her plane many years ago, as a symbol of a woman’s courage. Looking at the sonar image, speculating it might be the fuselage, I think I see the same outline of the model plane I was given.

Today I see a different definition of courage than a woman who was flying around the globe, ok, with perhaps questionable planning and skill. As I have become almost obsessively interested in the work TIGHAR has done, and have explored the various theories of Amelia’s disappearance in recent weeks, like most of you I am convinced she and Noonan landed on the reef at Niku. It makes sense that she continued to radio for help and eventually migrated to shore, dying some days or weeks later after veering between the creativity it would take to subsist even for a few days on that waterless atoll, and the despair of knowing what her final destination would be.  For me, her courage was in the inner journey she might have taken to accept her circumstances, and her own frailty.

To be dealt a completely different hand than the one she thought she had—regardless of how we judge her preparedness or lack of it, or who dropped the ball(s)--and face the fact that she would likely die alone and suffering on this atoll, would take a kind of courage few of us have. This is the lesson I take from her great adventure. I imagine that Amelia came to understand her part in what went wrong on her flight, to recognize her own “get-home-itis,” as someone on this forum characterized the thing that finally killed her.  I appreciate the account of Dr. Gallagher. That this kind man may have cataloged her bones with the care and attention he is said to have paid, is a fitting memorial.

I am grateful to TIGHAR for the process that has brought the search this far. It's a reality show, a democratic process with all the best, and worst, of human human heroics, frailty and ego--and that's just the forum members! May cooperation prevail to illuminate an ultimate understanding.

Jeffrey Donald Shaffer

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #186 on: June 29, 2013, 10:02:25 AM »

Hi everyone. My name is Jeff Shaffer and I am pleased to have recently joined TIGHAR. I'm still reading Ric's book Finding Amelia. Upon discovering the existance of the NIKU VII expedition last summer, I followed it from start to finish, and feel very sure that the imagery data will prove out.
Also, I wonder if this is a proper place to express my support for the bent pitot tube issue. I was an imagery/air photo interpreter in the U.S.A.F. and with all due respect to the professional talents at Photek, I saw something different. Again, good to meet everyone!

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #187 on: June 29, 2013, 01:12:13 PM »

Hi everyone. My name is Jeff Shaffer and I am pleased to have recently joined TIGHAR. I'm still reading Ric's book Finding Amelia. Upon discovering the existance of the NIKU VII expedition last summer, I followed it from start to finish, and feel very sure that the imagery data will prove out.
Also, I wonder if this is a proper place to express my support for the bent pitot tube issue. I was an imagery/air photo interpreter in the U.S.A.F. and with all due respect to the professional talents at Photek, I saw something different. Again, good to meet everyone!

Feel free to start a new thread if you think you have anything to add Jeff

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/26_Antenna2/26_Antenna2.html

Jeff
This must be the place

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2013, 11:05:28 PM »

Welcome, Lisa. I appreciated your post and your interesting take on Amelia.
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Laura Gridley

• T1
« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2013, 11:27:27 PM »

Welcome Lisa and Jeff S. 

I love how many interesting people are on this forum.  Thanks for joining and sharing your thoughts. 

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #190 on: July 02, 2013, 07:42:17 PM »

Hello Everyone!

For years this has been my go to site for anything Amelia Earhart related. Believe it or not, I've only recently realized I could actually join the forum and participate in discussions. For some reason, I was under the impression it was a closed group of 'expedition' people and their ideas :)

Anyway, now that I know this isn't a closed group, I'm very excited to become part of the discussions. I'm retired Air Force (Cryptographic Systems). My husband is active duty and we are currently assigned to Scott Air Force Base, Illinois.

Being in Illinois has brought me full circle. I've worked in Turkey, Italy, Germany, England, Texas, and New Mexico. I'm originally from Moline, Illinois. Somehow, I always thought I'd wander the world forever, but reality intervened and it looks like this is where we'll spend our retirement years.

Many years ago, I read Ric's theory on the post-loss radio signals and I was hooked. I've lived the expeditions through the descriptions of those fortunate enough to go. I eagerly scrutinized every photo and artifact posted on this site. I have to admit, I have yet to see much of anything in the underwater photos, but the Cook photo is indeed tantalizing.

Like many of you, I wish I could competely fund further expeditions and get this matter settled once and for all. However, I will join and donate what we can afford (at least until I win the lottery or come into that as of yet, unknown inheritance).

Along the lines of fund raising, I wanted to ask if TIGHAR does any fund raising at air shows or other related events? Do you set up a booth for informational purposes or to sell souvenirs and such? If so, I would like to offer sweat equity and help man those booths, get the word out, solicit donations or whatever.

Meanwhile, thank you for the professional, courteous, well-maintained website. I appreciate being able to join and look forward to many interesting discussions.

LTM who still wanders,
Stacy Galloway

TIGHAR #4284R

Gloria Walker Burger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #191 on: July 02, 2013, 07:59:11 PM »

I appreciate being able to join and look forward to many interesting discussions.

Welcome Stacy. I look forward to your posts! (Here's to winning that lottery :)
Gloria
TIGHAR #3760

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #192 on: July 02, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »

Ric,
Wow, way to many women signing up on the site.  You better get Pat involved in female PR.  Welcome aboard Gloria.
Ted Campbell

Laura Gridley

• T1
« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2013, 03:22:07 AM »

Welcome Stacy!  Thank you for joining.  It is nice to see more women on here (no offense to all the wonderful, intelligent men that make up the majority of the forum posters). ;)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #194 on: July 03, 2013, 06:24:59 AM »

Cool! I'm ... intelligent?

*runs off to spread the news*

LTM, who never overestimates that native stuff,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org