Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discovery Channel Expedition Unknown Wednesday 6-15 8pm Eastern  (Read 6194 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda

Wednesday June 15 (tomorrow) at 8pm Eastern, the Discovery Channel series Expedition Unknown will air the episode they shot with me in Newfoundland last September.  They're calling it "Lindbergh's Missing Rivals"
Thursday morning I'm headed back to Newfoundland with a small TIGHAR team for a few days of data collecting, systems testing, and logistics coordination for the search expedition in September.

Denise Kelsey

• TIGHAR member
Re: Discovery Channel Expedition Unknown Wednesday 6-15 8pm Eastern
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 11:10:24 AM »

Re-airing Weds June 22 at 7pm if you miss it tonight.
~ Denise

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 05:37:36 AM »

I caught the rebroadcast of the show last night and thought it was very well done with minimal "drama" added. It was good to see you Ric, having not had the chance since 2015! Here is hoping that the magnetic anomalies pan out to be something when you can finally investigate them all.
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 07:54:10 AM »

Here is hoping that the magnetic anomalies pan out to be something when you can finally investigate them all.

We'll check them, but I don't have much confidence in them. The survey was flown with the sensor 5 meters over the water surface and the transects were 5 meters apart.  That's not tight enough to see something as small as an engine in a magnetic environment that active.  When the survey company gave us their final report they had changed their mind about the location of the anomalies, and when we had the geologists at Memorial University in St. John's review the data they were pretty dubious.
The bottom line is magnetometry is just not a good way to search that pond.  Sonar is not practical because the pond is too shallow.  It's down to Mark One Eyeball and hand-held pulse induction metal detectors.

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 08:17:03 AM »

Looks like we'll need extra immersion suits with hoods and face masks.  :)

Don Yee

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 01:17:13 PM »

Watched the episode and enjoyed it. Of all the "mystery" shows I think the Expedition Unknown crew tries to portray an honest discussion of the topics (and seldom seriously delves into the paranormal, aliens, and conspiracy theories). I am wondering how any of the crash/explosion debris could be under those large rocks. You'd think that the engine would just be laying other there somewhere unless it sunk into the muck. I wish I had some time to come help. This sounds like quite the adventure!
Good luck,
Don...

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 08:03:44 PM »

Has everyone listened to this Youtube video of Vernon Dalhart singing "The Lost French Flyers"? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Gq_GKq8eQ

Expedition Unknown was great.  So is the TIGHAR Channel presentation.

Looking forward to updates,
Karen Hoy #2610CR

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 08:31:41 AM »

Thanks Karen.  I had the impression the poem/song was written there in Newfoundland and unknown elsewhere, but it was one of two songs about transatlantic flyers featured on country singer Vernon Dalhart's album "Lindberg (sic), The Hero of the USA"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjeKWTz-etQ

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 08:41:00 AM »

It's interesting that The Lost French Flyers was popular on the Cape Shore before the Plane in the Pond was connected to the White Bird.
The intense American patriotism expressed in Lindberg - The Hero of the USA would not appeal to Newfoundlanders.

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 06:49:45 AM »

Such a interesting step back 100 years in time to hear those songs- such simpler times and minds and as Ric states about the patriotism of the second song. Oh how our world has advanced in many ways, yet in some perhaps not so much!
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 08:09:22 AM »

What's interesting to me is how Lindbergh's individual success somehow became America's success. He was a private citizen engaged in a financially-motivated commercial venture with funding from some PR-conscious St. Louis businessmen. Before the flight he was "The Flying Fool" but, upon landing in Paris, he was "The Lone Eagle" and "The Eagle of the USA" as if the national bird had come down off the great seal and flown the Atlantic - the embodiment of American exceptionalism. His post-flight fame (and wealth) was bolstered by the prompt publication of his autobiography "We", written in longhand during his voyage back to New York aboard USS Memphis and published under a contract with G.P. Putnam's Sons negotiated by - you guessed it - George Palmer Putnam.  The next year, Putnam repeated the wildly successful formula by sending a female Lindbergh look-alike across the pond, followed by a New York ticker tape parade, and a book.

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2022, 11:16:41 PM »

https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/2000224054/E23282-E23283-The_lost_French_flyers

Vernon Dalhart's recording was made on May 21, 1927.

LTM,
Karen Hoy #2610CR

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 08:16:53 AM »

Vernon Dalhart's recording was made on May 21, 1927.

The day Lindbergh landed in Paris.

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 04:06:38 PM »

Ol' Vernon didn't waste any time!

Lindbergh was someone the entire country -- the world -- could welcome as a hero at that time. It is difficult to think of anyone since then who had such universal appeal -- maybe the first batch of astronauts. This was what Amelia and George wanted for her, and nearly got.

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 06:16:21 PM »

Finally was able to get over to my neighbors who had DVR'd the program for me.  In the first half of the program, it caused me to raise an eyebrow when the show's host just starts picking up "artifacts" (which turned out to not be the object of our quest).  The second half of the show was much more to my liking....fewer dramatics, more "science" and fact-based research.  It was nice to see motion picture footage of the White Bird in 1927.  Even nicer to see solid aerial footage of the pond, the island, the environs.  Here's to hoping we can find more minor artifacts and if we're fortunate, an engine!
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org