Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ewasko  (Read 6576 times)

Daniel R. Brown

• TIGHAR member
Ewasko
« on: April 10, 2022, 02:27:27 PM »

It seems likely they finally found Bill Ewasko:

http://perryscanlon.com/MSJinfo_phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6172&sid=806ff6e8841c5310d83abc5d46d54933

Never give up…

Dan Brown, #2408

Better link embedded 15 Apr 22 DRB
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 02:38:47 PM by Daniel R. Brown »

Simon Ellwood

• TIGHAR member
Re: Ewasko
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 11:43:45 PM »

Yes, I read about Bill Ewasko's remains finally being found back in February.
Any more details about where exactly in the park he was eventually found?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 09:08:07 AM »

Yes, I read about Bill Ewasko's remains finally being found back in February.
Any more details about where exactly in the park he was eventually found?

Lat-longitude and photos of the area by Tom Mahood (otherhand).

R.I.P.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Simon Ellwood

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 03:43:23 PM »

Thanks Martin  :)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 09:42:50 PM »

Thanks Martin  :)

You are most welcome, Simon.

I must have spent an hour getting caught up on the finding of the remains and Mahood's current theory about how Ewasko got from his car to where the remains were found.

I have read all of the otherhand site, some parts of it more than once, over the years.  Quite a detective story!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 07:31:44 AM »

Seeing this thread, I went to read the linked post. Then I read the entire thread that post was on. It includes some personal anecdotes of close calls people have had, as well as references to other searches for missing hikers.

It provided food for thought about TIGHAR's searches. Some tidbits:

1. People don't always do what appears logical to the searchers, or might even appear logical to the missing people if they were in their right minds. Bill Ewasko was found in an area that had been dismissed as a place to which he would never go. Now that this is known, the people who have been looking are trying to reconstruct how he got there, including whether there was something that made sense to him at the time that isn't evident to them, and whether (or to what extent) his judgment was impaired by thirst, hunger, fatigue and possibly injury.

2. It is easy to miss something, even when you are looking for it. Tom Mahood and another search party had both been close to the location but not seen anything. How much easier it is to miss it when you are not looking for it, and don't even know it is there. A question that comes up sometimes about Earhart is how all the visitors to Gardner starting in late 1937 didn't see anything, if there was something there to see (which in fact the islanders did later see).  (That said, Ewasko's remains were found accidentally by a party of hikers who just happened to go to that spot.) The earliest contemporary report of finding anything on Gardner was when Gallagher reported the bones, and the islanders had found them some little time before. Reports that there was a plane wreck on the island when the colonists arrived are not contemporary (they were made years later). A lot of people had been mapping and surveying, yet saw nothing.

Then I went and read more of Otherhand, which I have also read a good bit of over the years -- he hasn't put anything there yet about the discovery, but I spent an hour reading about his search for traces of the Michelson experiment locations. Down the rabbit hole I go...

LTM,
Don

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org