Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Discovery Channel Show  (Read 134390 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Discovery Channel Show
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:54:03 AM »

Hi,

Can any US based TIGHARS or lurckers post a review if they view the programme tonight?  Not sure when or if it will be shown in the UK and unless it’s on terrestrial TV then there is only a slim chance that I may see it.

Thanks in anticipation

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Discovery Channel Show
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 07:38:30 AM »

Can any US based TIGHARS or lurkers post a review if they view the programme tonight?  Not sure when or if it will be shown in the UK and unless it’s on terrestrial TV then there is only a slim chance that I may see it.

I'm not conscious of a show being on tonight.  What is the name of the show you're thinking of?  Do you have a URL that describes it?
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Discovery Channel Show--Monday, November 29
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »

My mistake, was firing off a quick post whilst on my lunch break and hadn't double checked the news page, sorry :(

Would still love a review on or after the 29th though :)

OK. 

http://tighar.org/news/

I didn't want to spill the beans before it was time and I thought it was possible that you were referring to a replay of another Discovery program about Earhart.

This is the one we've all been waiting for since Niku VI.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:59:18 PM »

Ooh, I can't wait for this! Should be interesting; I can't wait to hear what the team has come up with within the last expedition!

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 07:07:56 PM »

Ric,
Is there room in the agreement with the Discovery Channel to allow TIGHAR to post the video on this web page for those of us that may not be able to watch it in real time?
Ted Campbell

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 08:07:07 AM »

Is there room in the agreement with the Discovery Channel to allow TIGHAR to post the video on this web page for those of us that may not be able to watch it in real time?

'Fraid not.  I've been assured that DVDs will be available for purchase but probably not before the first of the year.  On the other hand, I would be not be surprised if some enterprising person recorded the show and made black market copies available.  TIGHAR would, of course, never condone such activity.

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 08:24:32 AM »

'Fraid not.  I've been assured that DVDs will be available for purchase but probably not before the first of the year.  On the other hand, I would be not be surprised if some enterprising person recorded the show and made black market copies available.  TIGHAR would, of course, never condone such activity.
Of course not!  However, perhaps someone will arrange for a copy and post a link for us who live in the back country. 8)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »

As much as I want to watch the show I hope no one posts any form of link to a copy that might cast poor light on TIGHAR, its members and those of us who lurk :)

I think we would have to remove any such links immediately.  We cannot lend TIGHAR's name to such antics even indirectly.  My guess is that even if the DNA evidence happened to break in favor of the TIGHAR hypothesis, there would still be need for one or more followup trips to Niku.  Should we place a major portion of funding for the next expedition in peril for the sake of some of our friends overseas? 

Once the show has aired, the information it conveys will be in the public domain.  Our friends will be able to keep up with the flow of information on the website, even if they can't get the full effect of the television show's narrative, documentary, and dramatization.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 06:41:31 PM »

i.e. there might be a transcript of the TV presentation?
Ted Campbell

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 06:53:30 PM »

I don't know whether Discovery routinely provides transcripts.

What I was trying to say was this: once the TV program has been made and Discovery has selected the materials that it wants to highlight in the show, TIGHAR may talk about those materials freely in TIGHAR Tracks, research bulletins, Facebook entries, the wiki, the Forum, or other parts of the website.  I am not aware of details in the non-disclosure contract between TIGHAR and Discovery, so I can't guarantee that there won't be research that might be held for a future program--nor can I say that there will be such restraints on publication.  I'm just reasoning from what everybody knows (Discovery helped to fund Niku VI, in return for which they obtained certain rights to be the first to tell the story of the trip) and guessing about what is not public knowledge (all of the fine print in the contract).

I promise to watch the show with pen and paper in hand to keep track of "breaking news" for our overseas and cable-deprived members.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 07:31:27 AM »

I don't know whether Discovery routinely provides transcripts.

What I was trying to say was this: once the TV program has been made and Discovery has selected the materials that it wants to highlight in the show, TIGHAR may talk about those materials freely in TIGHAR Tracks, research bulletins, Facebook entries, the wiki, the Forum, or other parts of the website.  I am not aware of details in the non-disclosure contract between TIGHAR and Discovery, so I can't guarantee that there won't be research that might be held for a future program--nor can I say that there will be such restraints on publication.  I'm just reasoning from what everybody knows (Discovery helped to fund Niku VI, in return for which they obtained certain rights to be the first to tell the story of the trip) and guessing about what is not public knowledge (all of the fine print in the contract).

I promise to watch the show with pen and paper in hand to keep track of "breaking news" for our overseas and cable-deprived members.
Discovery and it's product are protected by the copyright laws enacted by congress and codified in the U.S. Code. Unless there is an agreement with Discovery, their presentation cannot be used by anyone else. There is a whole body of law on the subject, Title 17 U.S.C.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 07:43:07 AM »

Discovery and its product are protected by the copyright laws enacted by congress and codified in the U.S. Code. Unless there is an agreement with Discovery, their presentation cannot be used by anyone else. There is a whole body of law on the subject, Title 17 U.S.C.

Copyright in an audio-visual medium covers copying of the audio-visual elements.  I can't reproduce either channel for my own audio-visual purposes.

Copyright does not cover information disclosed in an audio-visual presentation.  So long as I render the information in my own words, I may make and distribute a synopsis of the claims made in the copyrighted presentation.  I could not publish a transcript nor a reverse-engineered script of the show (i.e., describing how ever scene is cut and compiled)--but that is a different kettle of fish from what I propose to do.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 08:09:42 AM »

Discovery and its product are protected by the copyright laws enacted by congress and codified in the U.S. Code. Unless there is an agreement with Discovery, their presentation cannot be used by anyone else. There is a whole body of law on the subject, Title 17 U.S.C.

Copyright in an audio-visual medium covers copying of the audio-visual elements.  I can't reproduce either channel for my own audio-visual purposes.

Copyright does not cover information disclosed in an audio-visual presentation.  So long as I render the information in my own words, I may make and distribute a synopsis of the claims made in the copyrighted presentation.  I could not publish a transcript nor a reverse-engineered script of the show (i.e., describing how ever scene is cut and compiled)--but that is a different kettle of fish from what I propose to do.
In other words it is perfectly legal for you to write a review of their presentation and publish it here. I am  sure there is case law covering just that situation. Case law can be researched in Title 17, U.S. Code Annotated. This is the publication where the Federal Courts, specifically the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, have construed the statutes.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »

In other words it is perfectly legal for you to write a review of their presentation and publish it here.

Yes, that is my view.  If that weren't the case, the the IMDB database would be illegal.  It lists characters, provides plot summaries, and records snippets of dialogue from movies and TV shows--all without asking for permission to do so.

I am  sure there is case law covering just that situation. Case law can be researched in Title 17, U.S. Code Annotated. This is the publication where the Federal Courts, specifically the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, have construed the statutes.

I am sure you're right that there is case law covering this kind of "fair use."  For now, I'll just trust that Discovery will not object to the kind of summary that I've proposed.   :)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »

If it makes anyone feel better, no information will be held back and the research update we'll send to TIGHAR members in TIGHAR Tracks and will post on the TIGHAR website after the show airs will contain more information than is in the show.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org