Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2021 Earhart-Noonan Symposium, TAC Conference  (Read 9474 times)

Kenton E. Spading

• TIGHAR member
2021 Earhart-Noonan Symposium, TAC Conference
« on: June 18, 2021, 10:16:36 PM »

Hello,
The Earhart-Noonan Symposium will occur on Friday, June 25 and  Saturday, June 26, 2021 in Eugene, Oregon.

You have two options to participate:
1. Fly to Eugene, Oregon and attend in person.  See the attached PDF registration form.  For the Symposium only the tickets are $50 in advance or at the door.  $130 if you attend the larger conference which includes non-Earhart-Noonan topics.  See the attached program.

2. Log-in remotely.  The attached PDF lists that as an option. This ticket is also $50.  After you register and pay you will receive an email with a remote log-in link.

The Symposium has been expanded this year into Friday, June 25 to accommodate a longer list of presenters plus the Earhart-Noonan Round Table Saturday afternoon.  The AE-Noonan Presentations will start Friday afternoon at 2:40 PM Pacific Time. 

The conference is not at a hotel.  I am not aware of a central hotel folks are stating at. Hotels are at this link:

https://www.archaeologychannel.org/tac-events/international-film-festival/227-tac-fest-2021-pages/3064-2021-hotel-information

The attached PDF lists abstracts for each presentation.  The following presenters will attend the symposium in person and thus present live in no particular order.  A brief description of their presentation is included.

1. Lynn Engelbert: Historic Human Remains Detection Dogs on Nikumaroro in 2017 (no contractual limits, can talk freely now)
2. Jaime Bach: Rumors of [Human] Remains: Trips to Tarawa
3. Rick Pettigrew: The Nikumaroro 2017 Project and the Evolution of a Cultural Heritage Nonprofit
4. Kenton Spading: Did Gerald Gallagher Unearth the bones of a Norwich City Castaway? Part 2 (new data uncovered)
5. Marjorie Smith: Why Is This Funny? Amelia Earhart As a Punchline
6. Greg George: Reassessment of Acute Environmental Impacts on Earhart’s Final Flight, Part 2
7. Michael Ashmore: The Taraia Object: Is the Electra in the Nikumaroro Lagoon opposite Tatiman Passage (the main inlet)?
8. Aaron Arrants: Managing the medial risks during the 2019 expedition (which explored the seven site).
9. Lynne Angeloro: Historic Human Remains Detection Dogs on Nikumaroro in 2019 - the continued search for Amelia Earhart.

The following people are presenting remotely.   A brief description of their presentation is included.

10. Tom King: The 2015, 17, & 19 Visits to Nikumaroro; an Overview
11. Joe Cerniglia: 2017 Search of the Nikumaroro Dispensary Site, Comparative Data: Brown Amber Vial, Cap Imprinted “UCA PHARMACY.” 

Earhart-Noonan Round Table: Saturday, June 26, 4:40 PM to 6:00 PM PDT.
This will be informal but moderated.

Round Table Participants n no particular order:
Bill Snavely: Did Earhart Crash Land Near Buka Island?
Tom Palshaw: Is Artifact 2-2-V-1 from the C-47 Crash on Sydney/Manra Island?
Kenton Spading: Expedition to Sydney (Manra) and Hull (Orona) Island: C-47 crash and 2-2-V-1 (Sydney) and an object in a lagoon (Hull).
John Kada: Dead ends and surprises during research into the sextant box Gallagher mentioned (and other topics).
Lew Toulmin: Lew will sing two pre-recorded songs: 1) Off We Go, into the Wild Bird Guano! (to the tune of “Wild Blue Yonder”) and 2) Amelia Earhart: Find Me the Lass That’s Gone (Adapted from the Skye Boat Song, Sir Harold Boulton, Bt., 1884 nd the theme song from Outlander by Bear McCreary)
Questions and or Topics from Anyone are welcome.
Schedule: Amelia Earhart-Fred Noonan Symposium:

Friday, Symposium Day 1: Friday, June 25, Afternoon, The details are in the attached PDF.

Friday Evening Ice Breaker: Friday evening, June 25.  We will meet at the Ambrosia Restaurant and Bar at 174 East Broadway, Eugene, Oregon 97401, (541-342-4141) after the Round Table.

Saturday, Symposium Day 2: Saturday, June 26, 10 am to 5 pm (these times could change) including a Q and A Round-Table discussion in the afternoon.  The details are in the attached PDF.

Saturday Social, Saturday, June 26: Participants from the entire conference and film festival (including the AE-FN folks) will meet at the WOW Hall at 291 West 8th Street, Eugene, OR. Details will be in your registration packet.

Jaime Bach, in addition to presenting, is also the keynote speaker at the Wednesday evening, June 23, banquet.  Jaime will present an overview of the Nikumaroro fieldwork up to and including from the 2019 National Geographic Expedition which, in addition to Ballard’s search, included field work at the seven site. 

The presentations are 30 minutes long including time for questions and answers. The conference/symposium venue is the:
Civic Winery and Wines
50 E 11th Ave, Eugene, OR 97401
+1 541-636-2990
www.civicwinery.com

TAC link:
https://www.archaeologychannel.org/events-guide/tac-international-film-festival/international-film-festival

Cheers to Gerald; God’s Speed to Fred.

Kenton Spading, P.E., FRGS 20, FN ’20
1586 Grotto Street North
St. Paul, MN  55117-3460
Voice/Text: 651-272-7970
KSpading@Comcast.net

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: 2021 Earhart-Noonan Symposium, TAC Conference
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 08:30:49 AM »

Marty, please move this topic to Alternate Lines of Inquiry.

The TAC Earhart-Noonan Symposium is not a TIGHAR function and none of the hypotheses scheduled to be presented are endorsed by TIGHAR.

That said, it's good that the presenters have a place to present their papers.  I have registered to participate via Zoom, not as a presenter but to offer comments, questions, and corrections as may be appropriate.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 01:05:26 AM »

I have moved this topic to "Alternate Lines of Inquiry," as Ric requested.

People who click on "Show unread posts since last visit" will see new posts in this thread.  "Show unread posts since last visit" shows new posts in any of the sections of the Amelia Earhart Search Forum.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 01:12:43 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 05:57:49 AM »

Seeing that
Michael Ashmore is a presenter makes me think that I'll pass on this conference.
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 06:09:27 AM »

I have registered to participate via Zoom, not as a presenter but to offer comments, questions, and corrections as may be appropriate.

Now that the thread is relocated, I've had a chance to come back to your original post, Ric.

This line has provoked the best laugh I've had in months!

When Roger and I were in Fiji, we saw a memorial to Thomas Baker, the last missionary who was killed and eaten in the Cannibal Islands.  If I'm not mistaken, his last words were, "I only came to offer comments, questions, and corrections."   ::)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 09:26:05 AM »

I'm signed up. I think it will be fun to watch Ashmore demonstrate that he doesn't know an Electra from a coconut palm.

That's the root of the problem.

LTM,

Karen Hoy #2610 CR

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 06:37:41 PM »

"Root"of the problem! LOL! I see what you did there Karen! ;)
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 09:57:31 PM »

Nice to have all the loonies in one bin.

Re: Thomas Baker... poor fellow. He only wanted to help. In seeking to serve, he was himself served.

LTM
Don

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 04:28:13 AM »

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 02:32:06 PM »

The play Eugene O'Neill didn't write: Coconut Palm Becomes Electra.

LTM,
Don

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 08:56:21 AM »

I don't see anything that Mr. Ashmore claims is in lagoon images but I respect several of the people attending. I think John Kada proved where the sextant box came from. Tom Palshaw has done good work showing 2-2-V-1 could be from a C-47.  There are others there as well who I don't believe are "loonies".
3971R

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:15:33 AM by Greg Daspit »

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 09:10:21 AM »

I apologize for my flippant remark suggesting they were all loonies (sometimes I can't resist a funny line, and I should). Actually when I started reading the program, I thought there might be interesting and worthwhile presentations. Then I saw Michael Ashmore and (as others have) I reacted with a low opinion of the entire event, which may be unjustified.

Even Mr Ashmore's theory, even if we don't agree with it, deserves the same respect as any other in this continuing inquiry, along with the same requirements of scientific rigor in examining it -- and modifying or discarding it if necessary. Consider TIGHAR's own experience with sextant boxes, on which we are probably the undisputed world experts, before John Kada solved the mystery (at least to my satisfaction) with some sound archival research. No one is immune. Reading through the past Forum posts, I found all kinds of theories that had held sway for a while. Some questions and theories come up repeatedly over the years.

And Ric I am sure knows the difference between a cannibal and a can o'bull and is prepared to deal with either one.

LTM,
Don

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 08:06:31 AM »

Does anyone have any feedback from this event; good, bad or indifferent?

I was traveling and wasn't able to participate.

Kenton E. Spading

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 08:47:00 PM »

Bill,
Thank you for requesting feedback, good, bad or indifferent, regarding the 2021 Earhart-Noonan Symposium.   I am the chairman for the event thus I am admitting my bias upfront.  I offer comments below on each presenter.  The Symposium was recorded.  Many who could not attend have watched the video.

1. Lynn Engelbert: Historic Human Remains Detection Dogs on Nikumaroro in 2017
Kenton Replies: Concise analysis of the challenges surrounding utilizing HHRD dogs on Niku or elsewhere for that matter.

2. Jaime Bach: Rumors of [Human] Remains: Trips to Tarawa
Kenton: Fascinating talk regarding the search of the human remains Gallagher and the colonists discovered.

3. Rick Pettigrew: The Nikumaroro 2017 Project and the Evolution of a Cultural Heritage Nonprofit
Kenton: Rick's Archaeology Channel is an amazing organization.   His outline of reasons to return to Niku was thought provoking.

4. Kenton Spading: Did Gerald Gallagher Unearth the bones of a Norwich City Castaway? Part 2 (new data uncovered)

Kenton: The heights of a number of Norwich City seaman were discussed among other topics including sandals.  A number of the sailors are within the margin of error of the height estimate calculated by Dr. Richard Jantz in his published reports on the Niku Bones and in subsequent analyzes he conducted for my paper.

5. Marjorie Smith: Why Is This Funny? Amelia Earhart As a Punchline
Kenton:  Thank you Marjorie!

6. Greg George: Reassessment of Acute Environmental Impacts on Earhart’s Final Flight, Part 2
Kenton: Volcanic eruptions and sun spots could be a factor in the Earhart-Noonan disappearance.

7. Michael Ashmore: The Taraia Object: Is the Electra in the Nikumaroro Lagoon opposite Tatiman Passage (the main inlet)?
Kenton: It's worth taking a look the next time a team is on Niku.

8. Aaron Arrants: Managing the medial risks during the 2019 expedition (which explored the seven site).
Kenton: Fascinating talk.  I was impressed.   Plus he added lots of humor.

9. Lynne Angeloro: Historic Human Remains Detection Dogs on Nikumaroro in 2019 - the continued search for Amelia Earhart.
Kenton: Lynne A. was unable to attend.

10. Tom King: The 2015, 17, & 19 Visits to Nikumaroro; an Overview
Kenton: I learned a lot.  Wow.  My head was full of thoughts after Tom's talk. 

11. Joe Cerniglia: 2017 Search of the Nikumaroro Dispensary Site, Comparative Data: Brown Amber Vial, Cap Imprinted “UCA PHARMACY.”
Kenton: Well... Earhart lived in Toluca Lake, CA (Tol...UCA...).  Joe's continuing efforts to tie the bottle/vial to Earhart was interesting. 

Round Table Participants in no particular order:
Bill Snavely: Did Earhart Crash Land Near Buka Island?
Kenton: Bill's analysis combined with Greg George's opens up possibilities.  In November, I am traveling to Maryland to visit Bill and discuss his hypothesis further.

Tom Palshaw: Is Artifact 2-2-V-1 from the C-47 Crash on Sydney/Manra Island?
Kenton: Tom and John Kada co-presented this.  Good job guys.  The C-47 that crashed on Sydney Island (Manra) is an interesting alternative to 2-2-V-1 being from AE's Lockheed.  In November, I am visiting Tom to discuss his hypothesis further.

Kenton Spading: Expedition to Sydney (Manra) and Hull (Orona) Island: C-47 crash and 2-2-V-1 (Sydney) and an object in a lagoon (Hull).
Kenton: This sparked at least two side conversations related to future expeditions to the Phoenix Islands.  Talks are ongoing.

John Kada: Dead ends and surprises during research into the sextant box Gallagher mentioned (and other topics).
Kenton: John conducted good work on the sextant box.   It was good to hear his take on that and other topics.

Lew Toulmin: Lew will sing two pre-recorded songs: 1) Off We Go, into the Wild Bird Guano! (to the tune of “Wild Blue Yonder”) and 2) Amelia Earhart: Find Me the Lass That’s Gone (Adapted from the Skye Boat Song, Sir Harold Boulton, Bt., 1884 nd the theme song from Outlander by Bear McCreary)
Kenton: Thank you to the Marjorie and Lew for providing entertainment!

See you next year for the 4th annual Earhart-Noonan symposium.

Thank you,
Kenton Spading

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 10:31:47 AM »

Thank you for the feedback Kenton!
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org