Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New? Photos of Electra  (Read 3630 times)

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
New? Photos of Electra
« on: April 04, 2021, 09:15:41 AM »

This article says that a family has come forward with photos of Earhart’s stop in Caripito Venezuela.  They were originally taken by a Standard Oil Executive, most look familiar but the 4th photo in the article shows the patch with a very visible crease.  I did a quick search and did not find it on the Tighar site or elsewhere.  If this photo is known then just move on.

https://www.leadvilleherald.com/free_content/article_9640e886-8cb3-11eb-8d9e-f7049b8b8bbe.html

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
Re: New? Photos of Electra
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 10:15:37 AM »

Interesting.  Wonder if the negatives are still around somewhere.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 10:24:07 AM »

Interesting find.  Thanks.  There are no apparent wrinkles in the patch when she leaves Miami on June 1 (first photo below) but we can see reflections in the shiny new patch.
The Caripito photo, taken two days later on June 3, (second and third photos below) shows what looks like a big wrinkle across the middle of the patch.
The next time we have a clear photo of the patch is in Java on or about June 24 (fourth photo below). There's possibly a slight bulge in roughly the same location but that might be a reflection.

These possible wrinkles or bulges are different in location and appearance than the deformation we see in Darwin and Lae.  I suspect what we see in the Carapito and Java photos are reflections. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 10:33:43 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Christian Stock

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 11:34:12 AM »

Just glancing at other mirror-finished, taildragger airplanes, like the DC-3, I think that the horizon is being reflected on the patch. It depends on the angle from which the photo was taken. Also, I either see a person, or the Miami base ops building in the first image.

Speaking of DC-3s, and as a former aircraft mechanic, it's not a stretch to imagine that the Miami repair was made with scrap aluminum from a Pan Am DC-3. They would have had bins of scrap aluminum laying around. It would have been a faster repair than using new sheet metal.

Leon R White

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 02:00:55 PM »

Couldn't find any place to put this and I've been away for quite a while.  I have dreamed a nightmare where Ric has asked people to look at pictures of things in the water! Whoa:)
My question is this. I originally asked, here, if the ship remains had disappeared on the new google maps. Of course as soon as I posted it, I zoomed farther out and there they were, so - sorry. But stirring the pot on photos . . . whoa!
L
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 03:00:21 PM by Leon R White »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org