Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Taraia Object deciphered  (Read 21751 times)

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
Re: Taraia Object deciphered
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 10:00:06 AM »

For Mr. Ashmore.

I was also part of that group.  I agree with Jeff.  Completely.

Here's a link to the Research Report Ric wrote following our visit:

https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/71_RiddleOf22V1/71_Riddle22V1.html

Here's a link to a Research Report discounting the theory that 2-2-V-1 came from a PBY:

https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/74_Is_22V1_From_PBY/74_Is22V1PBY.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 11:03:24 AM by Bill Mangus »

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 10:39:37 AM »

Ric says "That said, if we ever go back to Nikumaroro I promise to go to that spot and check it out."

Happy to go back and check it out, but we've already been to that spot and checked it out.  In 2001 not only did we survey this part of the lagoon using divers on manta boards pulled by a skiff, but we surveyed this shoreline, including Taraia point, visually and with metal detectors.  Folks have been back to Taraia Point several times since.  I can say with relative certainty that if there has been a L-10 wing section there in 2001 or since, there is a high probability we would have noticed it. 

It is possible that sands have shifted, objects exposed, or buried, but I think the odds extremely remote that a wing section got moved there since 2001.  I don't think Taraia Point has changed that dynamically in the past 50 years.

My personal opinion is that we're looking at a coconut log.

Best

Andrew

Daniel R. Brown

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 05:50:01 PM »

There are data on what crashed Electras look like. Here’s a representative example:

https://www.baaa-acro.com/sites/default/files/import/uploads/1937/11/SP-AYD-6.jpg

Google “Electra 10 crash wreck” and review the images.

Dan Brown, #2408

Simon Ellwood

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2021, 08:41:10 AM »

https://www.baaa-acro.com/sites/default/files/import/uploads/1937/11/SP-AYD-6.jpg

This image just illustrates Ric's point. This L10 has obviously been in a major accident - looks like perhaps it's cartwheeled. The outer wings have been ripped off leaving the very sturdy inner girder section relatively intact.

Daniel R. Brown

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 09:41:35 AM »

For other examples search https://baaa-acro.com/crash-archives for Aircraft = "Lockheed 10 Electra".

Dan Brown, #2408

MichaelAshmore

• T1
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 05:44:00 PM »

If the strength of the main beam, is as most say. Would make it likely that we are only seeing one side of main wing. The center and other side though attached, would still be buried in the sand/silt not visible.

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2021, 05:35:30 AM »

Mr. Ashmore- you are still not listening. Please re-read reply #16 above from Andrew and take in what he is saying.
 Been there, looked there, METAL DETECTED there.
In other words, IT AIN'T THERE!
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

MichaelAshmore

• T1
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 01:29:25 AM »

https://youtu.be/_DgDRHGin3s

I can now see what everyone said about the main beam, it didn’t  break. It still looks connected after over eight decades. I retrieved this image from Apple Maps. The proof I was looking for that ( Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan belly landed in the lagoon at the Taraia spit on Nikumaroro in 1937 ). Just as the amateur radio operator said,  she was on a sandbank. This we know now to be true. And as you can see, the Electra is somewhat intact and waiting for us to go get her.  I have more evidence, but for now. Amelia Earhart’s Lockheed Electra location has been found, submerged in water, sand and silt on Taraia spit.
(-4.6684276, -174.5284368 )

Christian Stock

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 05:32:45 AM »

That’s a Beech 18.

MichaelAshmore

• T1
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 06:46:29 AM »

It’s Amelia’s Lockheed Electra, I know this because she didn’t depart Lae, New Guinea in a Beach 18.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 07:05:10 AM »

Just as the amateur radio operator said,  she was on a sandbank.

No amateur radio operator heard her say she was on a sandbank.  Dana Randolph heard her say she was on a reef south of Howland.
In any case, if she landed in the lagoon she would not be able to use her radio.
You can shout nonsense as loudly as you wish, but it's still nonsense.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 07:07:17 AM by Ric Gillespie »

MichaelAshmore

• T1
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2021, 07:55:29 AM »

Landed on the sandbank we know as the Taraia spit. Yes it was a sandbank, not a reef. I got this information from your own Earnhardt Project. As I see that no one discounted it before, why now ?  (Attachment’s below)

Christian Stock

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2021, 07:59:35 AM »

It’s Amelia’s Lockheed Electra, I know this because she didn’t depart Lae, New Guinea in a Beach 18.

Sorry, I meant it's a Beach.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2021, 08:45:05 AM »

Landed on the sandbank we know as the Taraia spit. Yes it was a sandbank, not a reef. I got this information from your own Earnhardt Project. As I see that no one discounted it before, why now ?  (Attachment’s below)

Randy Jacobson based his comment on this passage from COLORADO Captain Wilhelm Friedell's report:

"Shortly after the flares were known to be false a report was received that further investigation of the report received on 3 July that on 3105 Kcs a woman’s voice had made four distress signal calls followed by KHAQQ, followed by “225 garble, Off Howland, battery very weak, can’t last long, garble indicated sandbank,” had been made and considerable credulance was given to the possibility of the report having been actually received."

This is apparently a reference to a message from Coast Guard San Francisco Division at 1455Z on July 3, listed as Message 45 in the Post-Loss Radio Catalog:
"COMFRANDIV reported receiving a telephone report from a “Charles McGill,” amateur call sign W6CHI, in Oakland, who said he heard SOS calls from Earhart “on about 86 meters,” saying she was at a point 225 miles north northwest of Howland Island, and asking Putnam to fly a kite. The 1935 Radio Amateur Call Book shows call sign W6CHI was assigned to Charles Miguel of Oakland. Apparently, the person who took the call at COMFRANDIV misunderstood “Miguel” as “McGill.”

As you can see, Friedell was mistaken. There was no reference to a sandbank. Besides, the message is not credible.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 08:46:55 AM by Ric Gillespie »

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2021, 05:46:51 PM »

"As you can see, Friedell was mistaken. There was no reference to a sandbank. Besides, the message is not credible."

Sadly, I fear, neither is this Mr. Ashmore credible either. Another internet troll I fear!
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org